What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Does CBD (no THC) work or is it a placebo effect?

greenops

Hey guys,

After a quick search on google I found a few posts claiming placebo effects on CBD with no THC or very low THC (under 0.3%).

Assuming, you didn't get your CBD from a snake oil producer...

For what symptoms did you take CBD? (e.g. Anxiety, pain relief, epilepsy etc)

What type of CBD products did you take? (e.g. Gummies, capsules, vape, oil)

What dosage?

Please describe how the CBD treatment affected your symptoms?
Did you feel the desired effects?

Are you continuing using CBD? Is it worth the price?

Thanks!

caliprop215

Veteran
https://youtu.be/0uZ-VtpDan0

Its definitely not a placebo affect there are numerous videos like this one....

Its a miracle drug for some people.....

I ha e a good friend she takes dabs and tinctures and salves and swears by them she loves them.

I have only tried it once with a migraine my headache went away but i also took ib profin so im not sure if it worked or not

greenops

https://youtu.be/0uZ-VtpDan0

Its definitely not a placebo affect there are numerous videos like this one....

Its a miracle drug for some people.....

I ha e a good friend she takes dabs and tinctures and salves and swears by them she loves them.

I have only tried it once with a migraine my headache went away but i also took ib profin so im not sure if it worked or not

hey... right. I've seen these vids plenty of times and I do believe them.

Ok, so lets remove epilepsy from this discussion.

What about the more common ailments such as: pain, anxiety, depression, cancer treatment etc?

I would like to hear from people who have personal experience (or know somebody) treating those kinds of symptoms with CBD.

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
What you're looking for is the "Bell Curve of Efficacy" when you're using only CBD. A little bit does not much, a little bit more does the same not much, the right amount does something and adding more doesn't do much more.

When you add THC, a little does a little, a bit more works a bit more effectively, a lot works a lot and a massive amount has massive effects. Completely different medicine when used together properly.

:)

Mengsk

Yes it has effects it works no it is not a placebo. Although placebo effect is real and not specific to cannabis. However, approach this carefully. Vaping or smoking a CBD strain you may notice that you are not 'high' at all, but you will feel the muscle relief, is one way to describe it. But for my own personal consumption, I am very particular about what I am putting into my own body. If we're talking about CBD capsules that come from a giant mass produced field like many commercial ag crops, I am not the least bit interested in ingesting that, no thanks get it all the way away from me. Some might have an idea of 'more is more' or treating one problem with more of the next 'medicine.' But this is the wrong approach either short sighted or the same greed profit driven motive that propels many other things. Slowing down, reducing the overconsumption in other words, is one of the mental medicinal and environmental physical benefits of cannabis cbd/thc. Without getting into much detail it's the medicinal physical and philosophical/spiritual effects and beliefs surrounding it all rolled into one. I really do not know about mass processed hemp then extracting the oil for human consumption sounds gross and potentially toxin or hazard accumulating extract rather than organic healthy inputs. Pretty much the complete and total opposite of organic sustainably grown healthy medicine the same as food. This is before you even start to mention price or costs.

bukk

I had been buyed CBD cure {CO2 oil} three times, common hash was always better for me.

CBD may be usefull for people which didn't or don't want use THC.

For me CBD oil has placebo effect in little dosages.

Switcher56

Comfortably numb!
CBD works. It is not a placebo. THC does increase the efficacy of CBD strains, there is no doubt about that. But CBD does work. Being a neophyte on this journey I have seen results for both diabetes and insomnia.

trifector

Almost certainly - i've been using CBD E Liquid for my social anxiety and whilst I still need to take some of the pills prescribed by my doctor I now take far less - which can only be a good thing.

Also, because I've smoked so much cannabis over the years I struggle to sleep without a joint before bed. I've found CBD has exactly the same effect so if i don't want to get high in the evening but still want a good sleep i'll just vape some CBD Oil.

It's getting really popular in the UK now you can buy it from mainstream shops - would have never believed this even a year ago!

Mengsk

Yeah it may sound a little incredible, but my take on it (or experience) is a combination of mood changing/altering/enhancing effects and physical effects. In other words it might not be a pill for diabetes or cancer like an insulin mimic or chemo drug, no nothing like that at all. Instead, you might just decide that you don't really need a whole bunch of extra stuff to help you wake up, sleep, give you energy, etc. Since that doesn't sound very medical, what I mean is it can replace many things. Perhaps not comfortable for everyone but some might decide they don't need 1/2 of their pill cabinet anymore and with likely fully positive results all around. We are now talking about CBD and in CA herb is recently legal for recreational use but the fact is this is providing benefits to people which is not recreational it is medical. The law before was one way and people were either upset or happy it changed, now the law says it's recreational with some really steep tourism taxes and lots of foreign or out of state stuff it seems. It's kind of like a bad joke but just take all the money you spend on vices and spend it on herb you'll be set :) But I'm not seeing organic low cost CBD being provided by Medicare anytime soon.

Last edited:

green404

I know at least 5 people who use CBDs and it works for them. Many of them were very skeptical before trying it.

Most of the people I know who use it do as a topical ointment for various chronic issues.

oldchuck

Veteran
It doesn't really matter if it is a placebo effect. Mind over matter. If it helps you, relieves symptoms, makes you feel better then it is a useful medication.

bukk

I want to ask something.

Concentraced CBD-extracts of cannabis plants growed for hemp oil are for sale in european union in shops or online.

How is CBD oil from cultivated CBD strains, we don't have it where I live.

trifector

Yeah it may sound a little incredible, but my take on it (or experience) is a combination of mood changing/altering/enhancing effects and physical effects. In other words it might not be a pill for diabetes or cancer like an insulin mimic or chemo drug, no nothing like that at all. Instead, you might just decide that you don't really need a whole bunch of extra stuff to help you wake up, sleep, give you energy, etc. Since that doesn't sound very medical, what I mean is it can replace many things. Perhaps not comfortable for everyone but some might decide they don't need 1/2 of their pill cabinet anymore and with likely fully positive results all around. We are now talking about CBD and in CA herb is recently legal for recreational use but the fact is this is providing benefits to people which is not recreational it is medical. The law before was one way and people were either upset or happy it changed, now the law says it's recreational with some really steep tourism taxes and lots of foreign or out of state stuff it seems. It's kind of like a bad joke but just take all the money you spend on vices and spend it on herb you'll be set :) But I'm not seeing organic low cost CBD being provided by Medicare anytime soon.

Yeah it is definitely not a miracle cure. Here in the UK you can now get access to medical cannabis on the NHS ( national health service) but i believe CBD has to purchased out of your own pocket

Danielloveschoc

Almost certainly - i've been using CBD E Liquid for my social anxiety and whilst I still need to take some of the pills prescribed by my doctor I now take far less - which can only be a good thing.

Also, because I've smoked so much cannabis over the years I struggle to sleep without a joint before bed. I've found CBD has exactly the same effect so if i don't want to get high in the evening but still want a good sleep i'll just vape some CBD Oil.

It's getting really popular in the UK now you can buy it from mainstream shops - would have never believed this even a year ago!

Hi Trifector - Im british too.

I've seen CBD Oil you put in your mouth with a tincture but have never seen any vape oil on the High street - in fact ive only seen CBD in holland and barratt?

trifector

Hi Trifector - Im british too.

I've seen CBD Oil you put in your mouth with a tincture but have never seen any vape oil on the High street - in fact ive only seen CBD in holland and barratt?

Hey Daniel - yeah you can ingest CBD through pretty much anyway imaginable - vaping, eating etc... though I haven't seen CBD suppositories yet hahaha.

I've had CBD Gummies but having quite a high tolerance level they didn't really do it for me.

I mainly vape - I have tried a few both full spectum and Isolates... I keep hearing that full spectrum is better because they contain other terpenes too but I just can't get down with the taste.... a bit like if you tried to eat cannabis raw.

I tend to stick to isolate as it's just normal E Liquids with CBD mixed in. You won't find any on the high street as you've noticed but there's absolutely loads of different brands if you search on google - I really like Elevate's CBD E liquid. They have a nice range of flavors that suit my sweet tooth but saying that, the wife isn't the biggest fan.

Different strokes for different folks

Just have a look and see what you like best... it's all fairly inexpensive so you can experiment... you can't go wrong!

CannaZen

I want to ask something.

Concentraced CBD-extracts of cannabis plants growed for hemp oil are for sale in european union in shops or online.

How is CBD oil from cultivated CBD strains, we don't have it where I live.

Hemp produces CBD flowers.

@everyone

Cannabidiol does a lot! How CBD works

Serotonin Receptors
Vanilloid Receptors
GPR55—orphan receptors
CBD as a reuptake inhibitor
According to a team of Stony Brook University scientists, CBD functions as an anandamide reuptake and breakdown inhibitor, thereby raising endocannabinoid levels in the brain’s synapses. Enhancing endocannabinod tone via reuptake inhibition may be a key mechanism whereby CBD confers neuroprotective effects against seizures, as well as many other health benefits.
CBD’s anti-inflammatory and anti-anxiety effects are in part attributable to its inhibition of adenosine reuptake. By delaying the reuptake of this neurotransmitter, CBD boosts adenosine levels in the brain, which regulates adenosine receptor activity. A1A and A2A adenosine receptors play significant roles in cardiovascular function, regulating myocardial oxygen consumption and coronary blood flow. These receptors have broad anti-inflammatory effects throughout the body.
PPARs - nuclear receptors

CBD also exerts an anti-cancer effect by activating PPARs [peroxisome proliferator activated receptors] that are situated on the surface of the cell’s nucleus. Activation of the receptor known as PPAR-gamma has an anti-proliferative effect as well as an ability to induce tumor regression in human lung cancer cell lines. PPAR-gamma activation degrades amyloid-beta plaque, a key molecule linked to the development of Alzheimer’s disease. This is one of the reasons why cannabidiol, a PPAR-gamma agonist, may be a useful remedy for Alzheimer’s patients.
PPAR receptors also regulate genes that are involved in energy homeostasis, lipid uptake, insulin sensitivity, and other metabolic functions. Diabetics, accordingly, may benefit from a CBD-rich treatment regimen.
CBD as an allosteric modulator

CBD reduces anxiety by changing the shape of the GABA-A receptor in a way that amplifies the natural calming effect of GABA.

Last edited: