What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Diary of a hot White Rhino. 250w CFL DWC

-TheShortTexan-

They are 40 days from seed. And the tent is 5ft. With the light that mean about 4 ft. Rubbermaid is about 1 ft tall so 3 ft is about the plant max. I don't know how much stretch to expect with white rhino. It's supposed to be alost solid indica genes. When you flush do you use straight water or like a 1/4 strength nutrients? I've heard both

wvkindbud38

Elite Growers Club
Veteran
They are 40 days from seed. And the tent is 5ft. With the light that mean about 4 ft. Rubbermaid is about 1 ft tall so 3 ft is about the plant max. I don't know how much stretch to expect with white rhino. It's supposed to be alost solid indica genes. When you flush do you use straight water or like a 1/4 strength nutrients? I've heard both

I prefer straight water for a day or so coming for the first flush. Now next time you flush you can go weak nutes. I've just always did plain water. But everybody does it both ways with great results. Man you don't have much room upwards, you probably won't get a lot of stretch but it's always a bit different....tons of factors. Until you've grew them once you just never know. I'd at least expected them to double in size....don't wanna worry you but be prepared for more. Do you plan to tie them or something ??? Maybe have to tie, train them someway. You could probably rig up a trellis or chicken wire to let it come through and tie some if needed. It's a good problem to have a plant growing like crazy right?? Lol does the light you have get very hot?? :tiphat:

-TheShortTexan-

The light doesn't get too warm. I can keep the leaves as close to it as I want without touching and it won't burn them. It heats up the tent about 4 degrees but it's been about 3 inches away from the tops of the plants the whole time. I do plan to tie them. I LSTd them down once already to make a half decent canopy. But if I can expect them to double in size, ill flush for a day or two, then give them veg nutes for one last time, then flip at next res change. It IS a good problem to have lol... I've never grown a strain this bushy before though. Gonna have to trim that undergrowth for sure

wvkindbud38

Elite Growers Club
Veteran
That's about the best plan I think. At least your not dealing with the heat of a 250-400hps in that tent. It would be nice to have that lite though. I was gonna ask if you'd tied or lst .....it looked like a nice even canopy. You should have a great start into flowering. If you need anything let me know. I might be able to help if you need anything.

-TheShortTexan-

I can't tell you how very much I appreciate your input. I just COMPLETELY washed and scrubbed the res of all salt buildup and filled it with straight RO water.

-TheShortTexan-

Today is day two of the flush. I'll put some pics up here tonight of the roots and plants. I put RO water only in the res and just Ph'd it. The bottom half of the roots are bleach white while the middle to tops are slightly more brown. But the whole root mass is less brown than before the flush. I'm tempted to go a third day before I transition into flowering. My only fear is that it will start to show deficiency. Any thoughts???

-TheShortTexan-

The flip

Flipped them to 12/12
Decided today was the transition day. Gave them the "Transition to flowering" dose of nutes at 1/2 strength. Also started the CALIMAGIC supplement at 3/4 strength. It called for 5ml per gallon I gave it 3ml per gallon. After this week we will slowly step them up to a flowering nutrient regimen starting at 1/2 strength and then increase it slowly until we see some slight leaf burn. Then I'll back it down a tad. Planning on doing the same with the CalMag supp.
picture.php

picture.php

Didn't grab any pics of the roots. Comparing these pics to the last pics they don't seem bigger actually, just "perked up"

Stick around...

wvkindbud38

Elite Growers Club
Veteran
I mean I'd still keep a decent amount of N especially for the first 2wks. Sometimes with a straight flush for a few days it may do then good to have a decent dose of N.....especially since you'll be backing off it the longer it gets into flower. Just don't completely cut all N just yet. I usually start slowly back off N after 2wks or so. Those WR usually take 60-70 days 12/12 if I remember correct. Just keep the bottom cleaned up/out of any dead/yellow leaves. Just keep a good eye on them and bump up the P & K some. But don't be afraid to keep the N....just decrease a lil at first. I wouldn't back off a lot on N for at least 2wks and see how they look .....and you'll know if you can decrease the N more when you see them in 2wks. Watch the stretch and see what you gotta do as far as lst and tying

-TheShortTexan-

Good info right there. I need to get into the nutrient threads and read how to calculate my N-P-K amounts from the amount of GH nutrients I'm using. The "transition" stage of nutes is evenly balanced. It's 2tsp of each (grow, micro, and bloom) per gallon. Then it steps it up towards more flowering based formulas and less grow. There's still nitrogen in there. But I'm not sure how much. I'm bothered by the plant on the right. It's considerably smaller than the one on the left. But it struggled from the beginning. And the light is also unevenly balanced being a cfl. I need a new light desperately.

wvkindbud38

Elite Growers Club
Veteran
Good info right there. I need to get into the nutrient threads and read how to calculate my N-P-K amounts from the amount of GH nutrients I'm using. The "transition" stage of nutes is evenly balanced. It's 2tsp of each (grow, micro, and bloom) per gallon. Then it steps it up towards more flowering based formulas and less grow. There's still nitrogen in there. But I'm not sure how much. I'm bothered by the plant on the right. It's considerably smaller than the one on the left. But it struggled from the beginning. And the light is also unevenly balanced being a cfl. I need a new light desperately.

Yea 2tbs of those is a good strong dose. I'm not sure what the ppm /EC would be but 2tbs each of those is probably around the max. You would greatly benefit from a 400/250 hps if you could circulate the heat out. In my indoor grows that was a must. Those things even at that size are basically heaters with a helluva lite lol. Inline fan and glass cover reflector 400hps your probably at least gonna double your harvest weight.

That one plant could be a different pheno or just a runt that growing slow. Possible the lite also. I dunno if I'd cull it out unless you felt with it gone the other plants would have more room and everything be better without the lil lady:tiphat:

-TheShortTexan-

I'm gonna leave it. If I felt like vegging the bigger plant out and training it more I probably would pull the second one. Unless it makes a problem or just doesn't seem to produce I'm gonna leave the smaller plant. It's not 2 TBS it's 2 tsp. But it increases the bloom nutes in flowering. I'm thinking leds. I know the hps is a better light. But the ballast heat as well as the light heat, not to mention the literal bulb temp and my paranoia of fires, makes me lean towards buying 2 led panels. But I've been dry since January and will be happy to have any amount of bud. I wanna dream big and say I hope to get 2 oz. But I feel that's unrealistic... who knows. We will see.

wvkindbud38

Elite Growers Club
Veteran
Yea a hps or MH ballast has to have major attention towards dealing with the heat. I usually use fox farm nutes and pretty much know how hot I can mix them. But if I'm using other stuff I'm very careful the first time or so. Probably a good choice to leave the plant especially since your needing as much weed as you can get. Unless it really seems to be causing a problem if leave it. Yes I'm bad to use tea.. For the teaspoon instead of tsp....sorry I kinda have a different abbreviation of those lol. Glad your grows into flowering and looking good. Keep your fingers crossed and 2mths you should have some nice buds.

-TheShortTexan-

Thanks for stopping by fridgefarmer! I'm counting on them to stretch a little bit. I actually need them to. Keeping my fingers crossed for sure. What's the deal with people adding molasses in flowering? Is that for flavors or terpene enhancement or what?

tleaf jr.

Came up off 75w
Veteran
Looking good tex...molasses is used at the end of flowering in my experience as a sweetner. I only have ran soil and coco though so my word really doesnt mean shit....me myself though i wouldnt add to much shit to my res.I've tried having a organic res thing going on before, you thought youhad ph problems before.Whew! You've seen nothing ....botanicare has organic sweetners for hydroponic applications.I would look into them :tiphat:

:2cents:

wvkindbud38

Elite Growers Club
Veteran
Yea a lot of guys including myself will use molasses....I've always been told it'll kinda help the roots uptake the nutes a lil better, along with flavor and thicker, fatter buds. Some guys kinda have different beliefs about it but it helps your soil when you got micros mycorrhiza whatever you wanna call them but it feeds those in the soil. It also has a bunch of macro & micro nutrients in it. Some people say it doesn't really make your weed tastier because it doesn't take the sugar into the roots. But I know it helps with yields the buds will get a lil bigger, denser. It helps feed your soil the micro organisms. I like to use it about once a week/one watering a wk/feeding. I start using around the beginning of flowering until the last wk or so before flushing. Kinda a thing I loved to use indoors to use as much organic stuff as possible. I'm getting ready to start using it this wk myself outdoors !!!!

wvkindbud38

Elite Growers Club
Veteran
Is your setup basically hydro ???? It may not be as much help for a hydro setup but you'd have to get the nutrients from it. You may wanna try to search if your all hydro and get another opinion. I used it hydro some but I'm not really sure and can't remember if it worked as good as it did in soil

-TheShortTexan-

Gotta refill the res again tonight. These babies are DRINKING some nutes. I'm still seeing some light browning on the leaves. Will post some pics later. Planning on upping the CALMAG to full strength and increasing the base nutes also.

tleaf jr.

Came up off 75w
Veteran
I would imagine the rust spot has more to do with ph than with a lack of calmag. Usually i see rust spots when my ph is slightly outta wack :2cents:

Latest posts

Latest posts