What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

To paint or not!!!

D

Double_Gulp420

I am looking for opinions on using white 5 gallon buckets vs. black grow bags. I have used buckets in all of my past grow and they work for me! I drill holes on the side for tying the plant down and of course holes in the botttom for proper drainage! But are there advantages to bags over buckets? Pro's / Con's? AND then question of the day! Should I paint the outside of my buckets black to avoid light penetration to the root system or do you think the bucket will be fine without painting them? P.S. The buckets are just food grade white 5 gallon buckets! Thanks again everyone
Don't forget to take care of one another!! Be safe and take on!
Double_Gulp :wave:

WelderDan

Veteran
I ran white unpainted bubble buckets for years under a 1000 watt hps with no problems. No need to paint 'em in my opinion. But if you feel you must, use white or silver paint. Black absorbs heat.

D

Double_Gulp420

Never used white buckets before no! And never thought about black absorbing heat! Good point!! Thanks!

Switcher56

Comfortably numb!
The only time I have seen it mentioned is if you are running deep water culture (I believe its called) algae will grow if not black.

St. Phatty

White containers work much better in strong sun.

Unless you're trying to bake your roots.

Just paint one, then wait till a hot day and stick your hand in the soil.

That kind of heat is not what you want to serve up for your roots.

SpideyManDan

White containers work much better in strong sun.

Unless you're trying to bake your roots.

Just paint one, then wait till a hot day and stick your hand in the soil.

That kind of heat is not what you want to serve up for your roots.

Interesting, besides getting dirty looking, I wonder if white fabric pots would better and not have the pot dry out so quickly.

hamstring

Veteran
I prefer 5 gal buckets to smart pots of the same volume in a swamp grow.

The 5 gal buckets are taller and soak up less water in damp soil or a inch or so of water. The smart pots were root rot city.

D

Double_Gulp420

This has all been great information! If I could I would give you all a like ot thumbs up or whatever! LOL I think I am going to stick with the good ole white 5 gallons for now! I never really thought about the grow bags drying your soil out more quickly but it makes sense! Its light like a jiffy pot and with the black absorbing the heat! Oh well maybe I will use them for some maters/peppers or something.... somewhere! Thanks for the advice! It makes me feel more sure going forward! Everyone be safe and have a great evening! Don't forget to look after your neighbors!

Latest posts

Latest posts