What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

King Brite LEDs: Thoughts?

Wild Seed

Does anyone have opinions, info, experience, comparisons, data even to share on King Brite?

After too much time spent researching good [affordable] LEDs, King Brite on AliBaba seem to come up consistently time and time again, here and on other sites, but there remains minimal follow up and no dedicated threads.

Has anyone had horror stories? Or just plenty satisfactory results?

Are the Chips as advertised? Are their XPE2 & LM301B bin up to standards?

Has anyone done a full cycle with them? And do they last for more than one?

Is it true they manufacture for a very well known US private label brand?

Basically, do they perform as well as more common, higher priced lighting?

Following prior advice, I'm interested in a Strip build for good spread across a low canopy, but haven't the tools/skills to do such a tidy DIY job from scratch.
King Brite Quantum Bar kits and Booster Bars look to be ideal: they're inexpensive with up to date components, mostly pre-made, could allow for different colour temperatures, and should be easy to replace or later DIY upgrade. One plan is to hang additional UV (~395nm), Blues (~460) and Reds (660-730) to be ran on separate timers/drivers/dimmers, so if they burn out or are only wasting energy, they're easy to switch, without needing a whole new Q Board. This also allows experimentation to adapt the environment to different growth phases, strains or ambient temperatures. Still working out which drivers needed, and will buy those locally, in case of additional costs with warranty.

Feel free to use this thread to discuss anything about King Brite or their competitors.
All input is welcome and helpful.

chilliwilli

Waterboy
420giveaway
In a swiss growing forum kingbrite counts as reliable source. Got mine but only have tested them once so far. Quality looks good but that are my first "noname" leds and i only know mars and kingbrite. I went for the 240w double heatsink 3500k with lm301h and cree 660 . kingbrite probably will ask if they should help to keep customs low.
Tested then they draw close to the 240w and i will use them dialed down to 200w.

That was in the pack

picture.php

chilliwilli

Waterboy
420giveaway
What i have picked up for the 660nm cree chip should be fine.

I got my selfe a migro uv310 fluorescence tube for adding uv spectrum.

If i add 730nm chips to my setup i would go with a pro-emit far red kit.

Im'One

In a swiss growing forum kingbrite counts as reliable source. Got mine but only have tested them once so far. Quality looks good but that are my first "noname" leds and i only know mars and kingbrite. I went for the 240w double heatsink 3500k with lm301h and cree 660 . kingbrite probably will ask if they should help to keep customs low.
Tested then they draw close to the 240w and i will use them dialed down to 200w.

That was in the pack

View Image
What's the footprint? How hard was it to set up? What was your cost?

chilliwilli

Waterboy
420giveaway
I will use them over 90x120(3x4). Think it was ~550 euro(2*240w set) total with shipping and customs. Shipping was 80 dollar to europe and delivery was ~2 weeks.

Set up should be easy. Just put the right wires in the right connector. I will diy a little so i can hang both panels and add 730nm leds later. Think a simple L profile with screw holes should do the trick.

zachrockbadenof

Veteran
I will use them over 90x120(3x4). Think it was ~550 euro(2*240w set) total with shipping and customs. Shipping was 80 dollar to europe and delivery was ~2 weeks.

Set up should be easy. Just put the right wires in the right connector. I will diy a little so i can hang both panels and add 730nm leds later. Think a simple L profile with screw holes should do the trick.

for 550 euro's i would think u could find a 'good' ready made led light-

chilliwilli

Waterboy
420giveaway
Think 2 tsl2000 would have cost the same but i wanted the lm301h leds with the add cree chips.
Cant remember the customs but it was something 120-150 euro but i didn't want to risk it. Some guys in the swiss forum talked about that german and austrian customs already know kingbrite for the fake bills

I just got my KB QBs a few months ago, yield definitely went up compared to my 6 vero COBs at slightly more wattage thanks to that spread I'm guessing. Those bars are now supposedly better spread-wise, because of course there's something better out after I upgrade.

Wild Seed

Good to know I’m not the only one here going with KB. Be sure to update.

Why not the quantum bars with the build in 660nm chips? The extra red in veg should be no problem and u could save on boost stripes.

Yes the white bars with rows of Cree chips. Considering approximately 2:1 ratio of 3000k +660nm reds to 4000k +460nm blue bars overhead. Would adding more red better balance against the 4K-blues for more yield?

I just got my KB QBs a few months ago, yield definitely went up compared to my 6 vero COBs at slightly more wattage thanks to that spread I'm guessing. Those bars are now supposedly better spread-wise, because of course there's something better out after I upgrade.

Thats great. Your KB outperformed Veros. QBs and COBs fall off fast around the edges and need distance to fill a space. Wider light distribution should be especially suitable for low height. Thinking the bars might be easier to upgrade over time.

TdotGonG

Well I received it today. It has no molex or gator connector's. Only waterproof 2 prong brass connections, Kind of look like a microphone connection. Must of been an upgraded model. IT honestly feels more solid and well built than the Spider farmer SF-1000. The light is bright as hell with a nice hefty potentiometer. Received the 240w 3000k 301H W 660n epistar and UV/IR. Will post some pics when tent light comes on tomorrow. Going to probably order the Bava Green 240w for comparison because they use similar QB boards, but Bava has a control module for the UV/IR and power with a onboard dimmer. These will work good for the 7x10' room I'm going to build. Will probably go with the 320W version if I get another LED from either King or Bava, For the room as the 240w might not cover enough area. Was going to get the new gavita but for the price I can get a whole damm set of LED lights....

f-e

Mentor
Veteran
I have used KB for about 4 years. The QB's I really don't see as kits. As much effort will go into hanging them as assembling them. They have video's to watch. It's two screws to put the ballast on the heatsink, if you want it there. Then it's put a two core cable to another, using no tools, just a Wago. Then repeat by putting another two core to another two core again using a Wago. That's about it. Put the hanging bolts through. Tie the wires in a ball with the supplied cable ties and it's done. Two Wago's is the height of my achievements here. One was just the dimmer control which can't possibly be done backwards. Leaving just two cores to get the right way round. The first sets expected me to put the plug on which was the hard bit, but now they do that.

The billy basic 240w model is $100 rising to about $120 as you add 660s. If you want Osram 660s then the price jumps to about $170 but you really are specifying the top shit there. Don't expect the $1000 manufacturers to be using Osram. Most are using the $120 recipe. Some won't give you that nice extruded heatsink, you just get a plate. Some will skimp on the drivers and avoid the Meanwell goodness. This kit is called such because you get the rope ratchets and everything. You will get the LM301B or H whichever you choose. There is no reason to think they will give a lower bin than stated. However, the average top bin emitter and the average bottom bin emitter are only 10% apart. So that's the maximum possible skank that any cheapo supplier can pull. As I'm saving way more than 10% and getting extras like ratchets not yoyo's and nice fastenings like pvc covered hanging wires, I trust them.

My albums are open. A lot just gets dropped in one called testing. There are side by sides beating 6s and micro grows. I'm sticking with them.

The $120 light will cost $40 to post and there is little saving buying more. I think I paid £500 to light a meter with 720w of led (Almost 800w at the wall) but have never turned it up except to drop a smug Beavis and Butthead laugh in their direction. I believe 480w probably will do a meter. I may of even set about trying. I can't help it though. POWER!! It's done a run at 550w though (600 wall) and that's typically how they get used. But...
POWER!!

Bmac1

Veteran
I just completed my first run with Kingbrite HLG550 v3 knock offs and I am very pleased. keep them up though as they are powerful. The bar style lights would allow closer proximity and a better spread.

Koondense

Veteran
All my cobs(CXB3590 and Vero SE top bins) come via KingBrite, still work with zero issues.
Great customer service.

Cheers

Wild Seed

Thanks everyone. KB is more popular than I'd realized. Good to know the kits are easy to set up, the customer service is fine and the tech is problem free. I'll contact them to place an order. Max power for half the price and no effort! Will update with the progress.

f-e

Mentor
Veteran
I just completed my first run with Kingbrite HLG550 v3 knock offs and I am very pleased. keep them up though as they are powerful. The bar style lights would allow closer proximity and a better spread.

KB was selling the V3 years before HLG.

We can get a 240w unit for $150. As a company you would have to pay the fee's. It might be $200. Then you must post it again internally. $20 more. You would need a premises. Staff. Advertising campaigns. That 150 has become 250 and if you invest 250 you want a profit. eBay sellers working from a garden shed might survive on 10% but you will want more. Receiving a parcel, checking it, stocking it, fetching it back and posting it. While taking the order from the customer, adjusting and ordering more stock and doing the books.. An order needs to pay at least half an hours wages for staff, plus building costs, and your bit.. if we just say 20% then our $150 light is $300 and we can't really moan about the price doubling. Nobody is getting paid. That business would go bust selling two lights an hour with just one staff. Nobody can import this stuff and sell if for anything close to what we can import if for ourselves.

zachrockbadenof

Veteran
I have used KB for about 4 years. The QB's I really don't see as kits. As much effort will go into hanging them as assembling them. They have video's to watch. It's two screws to put the ballast on the heatsink, if you want it there. Then it's put a two core cable to another, using no tools, just a Wago. Then repeat by putting another two core to another two core again using a Wago. That's about it. Put the hanging bolts through. Tie the wires in a ball with the supplied cable ties and it's done. Two Wago's is the height of my achievements here. One was just the dimmer control which can't possibly be done backwards. Leaving just two cores to get the right way round. The first sets expected me to put the plug on which was the hard bit, but now they do that.

The billy basic 240w model is $100 rising to about $120 as you add 660s. If you want Osram 660s then the price jumps to about $170 but you really are specifying the top shit there. Don't expect the $1000 manufacturers to be using Osram. Most are using the $120 recipe. Some won't give you that nice extruded heatsink, you just get a plate. Some will skimp on the drivers and avoid the Meanwell goodness. This kit is called such because you get the rope ratchets and everything. You will get the LM301B or H whichever you choose. There is no reason to think they will give a lower bin than stated. However, the average top bin emitter and the average bottom bin emitter are only 10% apart. So that's the maximum possible skank that any cheapo supplier can pull. As I'm saving way more than 10% and getting extras like ratchets not yoyo's and nice fastenings like pvc covered hanging wires, I trust them.

My albums are open. A lot just gets dropped in one called testing. There are side by sides beating 6s and micro grows. I'm sticking with them.

The $120 light will cost $40 to post and there is little saving buying more. I think I paid £500 to light a meter with 720w of led (Almost 800w at the wall) but have never turned it up except to drop a smug Beavis and Butthead laugh in their direction. I believe 480w probably will do a meter. I may of even set about trying. I can't help it though. POWER!! It's done a run at 550w though (600 wall) and that's typically how they get used. But...
POWER!!

fe--- i gotta control my heat, which i can't do with '2' 315's in my tent - so looking at these lites - my knowledge /skill level is a hair above zero- is it that easy to put the unit together..??

Latest posts

Latest posts