What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Sick GSC in COCO---

furrywall11

Hello,

these are some Girl Scout cookie plants grown in Coco PX. Using the Canna Coco line with calmag. Been using a lot of Verde because the Canna at 1.3EC PH 6.0 wasn't keeping them green. Also doing some foliar with verde and some AEA stuff. When I first saw this I thought it was a boron def so I used Micropak from AEA and sea crop. I thought it was helping but now I'm seeing it pop up on more plants that are otherwise healthy from the top down. The room is at about 80F 60% humidity. Growing under 315 watt CMH. I always PH my water, which comes from natural irrigation and has a EC of 0 and a PH of about 8 when it comes out of the spigot.

HELP!

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

furrywall11

When I see that no one responds to my post it sends shivers drown my spine intergalactic turkey time.

I am assessing the situation now and I think it's the dreaded Fungus Gnats.

What have I done to treat them?

Day 1: Foliar with DE (dietamacious earth) --- also sprayed the base of the plant trying to get all the exposed soil across the top of the pot.

Day 2: Soil drench of 4:1 H2o2 until run off and foliar with some spraying around the base with Monterey Spinosad

Going away for a family event and will be back in my grow room on Sunday to see if there's been positive benefits. I have some other Fungus Gnat remedies I'm going to try.

Bush Dr

Painting the picture of Dorian Gray
Veteran
If you took better pics and described the problem you might get answer

Mikell

Dipshit Know-Nothing
ICMag Donor
Veteran
They look dry. How often are you watering?

Spinosad is ineffective and DE a half measure. I do not personally know the efficacy of H2O2.

Buy Gnatrol. It's what most of us settle on after trying various solutions.

furrywall11

Has anyone else tried gnatrol? I haven’t checked my local shop but so far I only see it on amazon for $400 in 16lb buckets.

Came home from my trip... plants are still soaked from the h2o2 drench. The sticky strips have hundreds of gnats on each one. There are still gnats flying in the room and crawling on the bottom of my pots....so, looks like the spinosad didn’t do them in.

Like I said the soil in the pots is still soaked in from the soil drench but I’m tempted to use to do a soil drench with either BT or this stuff called Root Cleaner which says it’s designed to kill fungus gnats. Worried about root rot from over watering though... what would ya’ll do?

stoney917

i Am SoFaKiNg WeTod DiD
Veteran
Could be multiple issues imo...
1. Just by the pics the coco is way way way to dry ... u only want it dry like that after the first 2 initial watering... then NEVER!!!! Dry !!!!!!! That's one thing causing lock out canoe leaves and other weird shit that's goin on other wise unexplainable ...

2.are u sure the water out the tap is 0???? Seems odd even places I been that had good water never 0 without RO... what type of meter u have????

3. Not gonna be that guy to say ya got worse bugs other then m gnats ... gnats aren't that bad to be causing issues unless there's swarms of them.... h202 brown bottle just add it 5ml per gallon every feed in time they will be gone... but that curl could be the beginning signs of some bad bugs russet etc etc get a scope to get a closer look...
u should have no worries over watering plants that size in coco they take it n love it u will only get root rot if they sit in water ... just be persistent and add the h202 every feed , feed more often don't worry about over watering, n keep the traps on the plants... best thing about them gnats is once gone they will be back as soon as u open a fresh bag of coco so I just start adding h202 n skip all the expensive bottles it would effect.... canna coco n botanicare seem to have more then atami or cyco but I'm sure that can vary batch to batch dependent on where it's been stored...

Are the plants from seed or clones??? Sourced from where???

oti$

Mosquito dunks. Break them up and sprinkle them on top of the coco and water them in. This is how I've always got rid of them in Coco. It's cheap and easy. They also thrive in a wet environment. You could let things dry out a bit as well. Good luck!

Mikell

Dipshit Know-Nothing
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Has anyone else tried gnatrol? I haven’t checked my local shop but so far I only see it on amazon for $400 in 16lb buckets.

Came home from my trip... plants are still soaked from the h2o2 drench. The sticky strips have hundreds of gnats on each one. There are still gnats flying in the room and crawling on the bottom of my pots....so, looks like the spinosad didn’t do them in.

Like I said the soil in the pots is still soaked in from the soil drench but I’m tempted to use to do a soil drench with either BT or this stuff called Root Cleaner which says it’s designed to kill fungus gnats. Worried about root rot from over watering though... what would ya’ll do?

Look for "Organic Bti" on ebay.

I will second the Gnatrol., it"s the only thing that worked for me after months of frustrating trying everything else. I got a pound on Amazon for about $35, still have almost all of it. A couple applications and they wete gone.

Good luck with the other issues.

Lifebreather

Veteran
Micro Mites Bro... Say Hello to my little Friend

Yeah, they look like hemp russet mites, to me.

Those are the only mini mites I've had experience with.

You'll need a microscope to see them well, but I've been able to find them on the edges of leaves with the naked eye, and they stack on the stems sometimes to resemble a powder-like buildup...rusty color....

furrywall11

Well, my 100x scope confirmed I’m the surprised caretaker of a couple thousand russet mites...and some fungus gnats are visiting, too.

I used root cleaner, a heavy duty soil drench anti fungus gnats treatment today...and topped all the plants in an effort to at least be rid of those mites that have crawled to the tops.

Tomorrow, I’m thinking to do a Forbid foliar..then a couple days later akiri...and then one more miticide a few days later. What do you guys think?

The spinosad killed about one in five mites by my count...and the DE, idk.

Time to bring out the gnarly stuff if I’m going to save these plants.

Capt.Ahab

Feeding the ducks with a bun.
Veteran
420giveaway
I would chop them down, throw them away, clean my grow space and start over.

MedResearcher

Veteran
I second, the chop them all. They don't look like much, bad health, ridden with bugs, you are breeding more bugs than growing flowers. Unless those genetics will be lost in time, and are godly, not much reason to fight that fight.

Even with chopping them all, sanitizing like crazy you may have a fight on your hands. Those bugs can pop back up over and over. If you keep those sick plants, it will be really hard to get rid of them. Clean, sterilize, sterilize, sterilize. Get clean fresh plants, treat those, and try to keep at clean sterile environment, and try not to introduce new plant material, unless it has been thoroughly quarantined and treated.

Its safe to assume, 100% of clones, regardless of source have both bugs and powder mildew. Its not paranoia, when there are bugs out to get you! Got to treat all new clones, like they are the borg.

To me, your feeding regimen seems a bit more complex than needed for Coco/Hydro. You should be able to keep them green and healthy with purely a complete base fertilizer, steady good irrigation frequency, PH, EC levels.

Adding in a little foliar feed here and there, is a good way to supplement. I like most of the AEA products, good foliar supplements for sure. I would not add them to pure Coco/Hydro. To gunky and organic, who knows what is building up, then your dripping synthetic base, and your adding Verde, which is a lot of N and Zinc. To much different stuff, that does the same thing, and possible can cause problems interacting with each other.

Start with a good base, dial in the strength, PH, and irrigation frequency. When you consistently have healthy plants like that, and you are bored or want to try to take it to the next level, add 1 single supplement, and observe the results.

No disrespect, hope that didn't come out harsh. I think we have all been there and done that. Throwing the "kitchen sink" at a plant is an impulse many of us have, over and over. Coco hydro, is very simple though, shouldn't take much. More is less, keep it simple^^

Mr^^

starke

What MedResearcher said is on point. Destroying the plants and starting over is the wisest course of action. Should you decide to try and fight the russets, Hot Shot No Pest Strips will kill the little bastards and are an option since you are not in flower.