What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

New Social Group - Liberals

GOT_BUD?

Weed is a gateway to gardening
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I started the group. Anyone is welcomed but you enter knowing about the content. The intent is not to be exclusionary but to have conversation among like minded people without being swarmed and hassled. Chuck, if you join the group and propose a name change that the majority agrees with then it will be done.

I was a longhair too.

So you're looking for an echo chamber, not people who are rational and articulate who disagree with you on particular subjects.

Pass.

"To defeat one's enemy, you must know one's enemy."

Zeez

---------------->
ICMag Donor
So you're looking for an echo chamber, not people who are rational and articulate who disagree with you on particular subjects.

Pass.

Bud, Are you telling me that you are the rational articulate who disagrees on particular subjects? Hey, you might find it interesting here.

If it started off with 1, Are Politicians are screwing us. 2, How do you want to divide up the tax dollar? 3, Do you want Politicians to work the voter or the guy that gives them the most money? 4, Do you think elections should be really fair? I think you might find that there is allot of agreement.

Rational and articulate are good.

Liberal is kind of scary, isn't it?

Stoner4Life

Medicinal Advocate
ICMag Donor
Veteran

Pass.

hey Bud, if you want all of that just stay in the Toker's Den political threads. Are you somehow saying that like minded people should not be inclined to gather amongst themselves?

Mensa welcoming/including morons? no.
Cigar clubs welcoming/including cigar haters? no.
ICMag welcoming/including law enforcement? FUCK NO.

Catch my drift yet bro?

When liberal minded folk can't peacefully discuss their feelings in the forums here w/o being ridiculed (& vice versa for conservatives) they might be inclined to form a social group to ensure more peaceful discussion.

We'll likely disagree on plenty of subjects w/one another, but what won't be there are the abusive attitudes and bullshit so prevalent here already.......

let's say group 'A' (either Right or Left) promotes an issue or idea, group 'B' in rebuttal won't just counter intelligently, hell no! Decorum is chucked out the window and the name calling begins, off topic statements ensue, does this sound familiar yet Bud?

Zeez was looking for a place where he and other like minded liberals could enjoy each others company and conversation.

W

Water-

Oxford Dictionary

Liberal

ADJECTIVE

1. Willing to respect or accept behaviour or opinions different from one's own; OPEN TO NEW IDEAS.
1.1 Favourable to or respectful of individual rights and freedoms.

GOT_BUD?

ICMag Donor
Veteran
hey Bud, if you want all of that just stay in the Toker's Den political threads. Are you somehow saying that like minded people should not be inclined to gather amongst themselves?

Mensa welcoming/including morons? no.
Cigar clubs welcoming/including cigar haters? no.
ICMag welcoming/including law enforcement? FUCK NO.

Catch my drift yet bro?

When liberal minded folk can't peacefully discuss their feelings in the forums here w/o being ridiculed (& vice versa for conservatives) they might be inclined to form a social group to ensure more peaceful discussion.

We'll likely disagree on plenty of subjects w/one another, but what won't be there are the abusive attitudes and bullshit so prevalent here already.......

let's say group 'A' (either Right or Left) promotes an issue or idea, group 'B' in rebuttal won't just counter intelligently, hell no! Decorum is chucked out the window and the name calling begins, off topic statements ensue, does this sound familiar yet Bud?

Zeez was looking for a place where he and other like minded liberals could enjoy each others company and conversation.

Thank you for proving my point.

All the OP wants is a place where like minded individuals can get together and call those "other" people morons.

He doesn't want a place where someone such as myself can hold an opposing viewpoint and make counter arguments as well as provide facts to change people's minds.

Because you know what happens when someone makes a well thought out rebuttal to a popularly held belief? It turns into name calling and a screaming match. Every. Single. Time. Because people are emotional and how dare you challenge their firmly held belief based on how they feel.

I've seen it a thousand times, and the net is already full of places just like that.

Hard pass.

ETA - Mensa is a bad example because there are very strict requirements for getting into Mensa. I know, because I've been a member for 30 years. When someone holds an opposing viewpoint, they bring facts with them and leave emotion out of it. Your average person can't do that, or they choose not to. And the instant emotion gets involved, logic gets tossed out the window.

Last edited:

GOT_BUD?

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Bud, Are you telling me that you are the rational articulate who disagrees on particular subjects? Hey, you might find it interesting here.

If it started off with 1, Are Politicians are screwing us. 2, How do you want to divide up the tax dollar? 3, Do you want Politicians to work the voter or the guy that gives them the most money? 4, Do you think elections should be really fair? I think you might find that there is allot of agreement.

Rational and articulate are good.

Liberal is kind of scary, isn't it?
What's with the softball questions? I think you'd find very few people, on either side of the political spectrum would disagree with any of those statements/questions.

How about a hardball question - where do you stand on the second amendment?

Now watch how quickly this de-evolves into a screaming match.

Zeez

---------------->
ICMag Donor

All the OP wants is a place where like minded individuals can get together and call those "other" people morons.

He doesn't want a place where someone such as myself can hold an opposing viewpoint and make counter arguments as well as provide facts to change people's minds.

Because you know what happens when someone makes a well thought out rebuttal to a popularly held belief? It turns into name calling and a screaming match. Every. Single. Time. Because people are emotional and how dare you challenge their firmly held belief based on how they feel.

I've seen it a thousand times, and the net is already full of places just like that.

Hard pass.

ETA - Mensa is a bad example because there are very strict requirements for getting into Mensa. I know, because I've been a member for 30 years. When someone holds an opposing viewpoint, they bring facts with them and leave emotion out of it. Your average person can't do that, or they choose not to.

Excuse me. "What the OP wants". Your words. I don't think so.

You have proved nothing except that your logic is based in stereotypes and assumptions. Sorry Bud, going to raise the bs flag on the Mensa membership. I would consult the group, but "hard pass" is probably your only option.

W

Water-

What's with the softball questions? I think you'd find very few people, on either side of the political spectrum would disagree with any of those statements/questions.

How about a hardball question - where do you stand on the second amendment?

Now watch how quickly this de-evolves into a screaming match.

got bud?
sounds like you need some

armedoldhippy

Veteran

Pass.

no one minds dealing with an opposing viewpoint which is presented "rationally & articulately". everyone is entitled to their own opinions on matters, but "alternate facts" don't fly. if something looks like, sounds like, and acts like a duck, well... no one will buy you calling it a chicken, esp if it is swimming around out in a damn pond.:) neither does denigrating others opinions by calling them names. "racist asshole" & "libtard" come to mind almost immediately.

Gypsy Nirvana

Recalcitrant Reprobate -
Administrator
Veteran
Thinking about it.....I guess that it comes down to social graces and how an individual conducts themselves within a debate...

In a face to face argument would some members be so abrasive and combatant, liberally using silly names and expletives, turning every argument into some sort of personal attack, just because they have a different opinion on some passionate topic in contention?

Most of us do 'Get It'......and conduct ourselves as gentlemen/ladies, but there always seems to be a point where it looks like some members can only conduct themselves as barbarians, and because they are in front of a computer and not a real person their psychotic episode can become a real mess on the site that quickly needs to be cleaned-up.

* when rational and healthy societal interaction breaks down, all that is left is totalitarianism or chaos.

Last edited:

Stoner4Life

Medicinal Advocate
ICMag Donor
Veteran

Hard pass.

ETA - Mensa is a bad example because there are very strict requirements for getting into Mensa. I know, because I've been a member for 30 years. When someone holds an opposing viewpoint, they bring facts with them and leave emotion out of it. Your average person can't do that, or they choose not to. And the instant emotion gets involved, logic gets tossed out the window.

and whose emotional self came into the thread making a fuss about possible exclusions??? Was it Zeez??? no no no!!!

what part of keeping those opposing viewpoints alive & well in the current political threads didn't you understand Bud? How petty for a self claimed genius to accuse Zeez of creating a place where he/we can call "others" morons, no, that's VERY petty.

and that the end of my 'debating' with you, you're too smart for me, how can I possibly challenge a genius like you, oh yeah, common sense.

You're trying to make it sound more exclusionary than it really is, and tossing in pure speculation that our intent is to call "others" names; but face it, it's folk behaving just like you that will wear out their welcome quickly, or yes!!! be excluded entirely.......

Zeez

---------------->
ICMag Donor
There are many people here on icmag who are very intelligent. We would be happy to have you in the group no matter what your persuasion.

It's always been my experience that intelligent people don't have to tell you how smart they are.

Gypsy Nirvana

Recalcitrant Reprobate -
Administrator
Veteran
Some might say that giving one political persuasion a soap-box to discuss their beliefs is tantamount to supporting whatever is in their manifesto....

...ahhh but I don't see it that way. Social groups are invite only and have a 'Leader', so if they don't like what they hear from one of their 'invitee's' then the boss of the group can banish the miscreant. Usually it ends up with a few like minded people posting about similar stuff, and it is comfortable for them to know that not just any troll can go there and start lambasting them for whatever they might believe in, at the same time you might loose the 'devils advocate' contention within any debate if everyone agree's all of the time, and everyone entering the debate is checked at the door.

Also ...only those chosen members within the social group can see what is written within, so fewer eyes are upon the text written than would be in open forum, so if the social group has 20 members only 20 people will see what is written and will be able to contribute, where-as in open forum thousands of members eyes can see any post and 1000's of members can comment on it.

Last edited:

Space Toker

Veteran
Well hopefully we dont see the same division show up on the site as we are having in USA. Because the politics in the USA has definitely divided this nation. Lets just work hard at not letting it divide us any more then it already has.

Well I am a liberal and very upset and dismayed that anyone let alone that many could have voted for a madman, and I did not agree at times with you in the past, but very good point nonetheless I have to admit, this coming from me someone that would rather die in battle than be an ass kisser under any circumstance. It is hard, it is devisive, I want to say those so and so whatevers deserve bla bla bla whatever for ever and ever but.. oh hell... you make a good point and must honor that. So what CAN I say now I like to say I am Confusius but I am just confused! I have worked hard to post many words before and without consideration for that they were deleted many times seemingly for no good reason and if so that is very wrong... well that was not right leave it at that but I am really confused why that happened to me and this happens now contradictory it seems. anyway, finally a thread leaning my way not the other given a chance I like that. lets give peace a chance.

Space Toker

Veteran
to say I am interested is an understatement, things seem to be going more and more to the "right" which is so wrong for goodness and progress,
Those despicable ones last election their rich ass kissing, gerrymandering epic filth of the universe and all the BS they pulled in the LAST administration, let alone the epic evil and chaos they are creating and taking advantage of in this one. They need to be put back into their place hard, they should only recieve the rascist selfish evil or greedy vote, 5 percent lucky if 10 not this much, something is very wrong somewhere twisted red state ministers or something.

Rocky Mtn Squid

EL CID SQUID
Veteran
MEDIA%2B%25282%2529.png

RMS

:smoweed:

Latest posts

Latest posts