What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Snype's Cloning Formula For Root Nubs In 3 Days!

Snype

Veteran
Please also check out my other cloning thread in the New Growers Section
Snype's Guide To Cloning In Rockwool Or Aeroponics With 100% Success Rates!
https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=268211

I have to say that I'm pretty excited about my cloning formula! I've done about a couple years of testing on this formula and the results just keep getting better. The last run, I got root nubs formed in 72 hours! Some of you may be skeptical but if you are why not give it a try and see what happens. I hate to be promoting one of the products that I think is the key to my formula but I have to put this information out there.

First I'd like to start out by stating that I do not use any gels or powders to dip the cuttings. I don't dip any cuttings in anything. I also do not score or shave any part of the cutting whatsoever and I think that it is crazy to do that. All that I do is cut the cutting at a 45 degree angle with a pair of scissors and stick it in the EZ Clone 60.

Before I place any cuttings into the cloner, I make sure that the cloner is 100% sterile. If it is not, I give 6 treatments of Erythromycin for 6 days. Once my treatments are done and my cloner is rinsed out real well, I place new sprayers, tubing and neoprene and add 10 Gallons of tap water to the cloner.

After I add 10 Gallons of tap water, I add:

20 mL General Hydroponic FloraMicro
30 mL General Hydroponic FloraBloom
3 mL SuperTHRIVE
0.5 mL Clorox Bleach

I make sure to pH the solution to 6.0 after I add in all the above products.

I can't stress this enough, every single step in my process is very important. There is not one that is more important than the other. It is extremely important that the MOMS that you take your cuts from are in extremely excellent health. Not only that, it's also important that the run-off of your medium is in line. Soil run-off should be 6.0 - 6.5, hydro run-off should be 5.8 - 6.2. Coco should be somewhere in between soil and hydro. It is also important that your mothers are well fed about 5 days before you take the cuttings and the medium is not dry at the time that you take the cuttings.

Once you follow the steps above, I also advise to change out the air pump of the cloner to a size of how ever much solution the cloner holds, your air pump should equal at least half those liters or gallons per minute. So if you have an EZ Clone 60 which holds 10 Gallons of Solution (37.9 Liter), your air pump should be rated at 19 Liters / Minute. I use 4 air stones with the EZ Clone 60.

Now after all that work, all you have to do is place your cuttings in the cloner and wait a few days to see root nubs appear! I like my solution to be somewhere in the range of 75-82 degrees F. Also remember that some strains are harder to root than others but on easier strains, you can get root nubs in 3 days and roots like this in 10 days or less:

picture.php

And these are the Root Nubs forming on the 3rd day:

picture.php

Don't believe me though, try it for yourself and report back to this thread!!!

Last edited:

zamzia

Veteran
Would any bleach do? As it seems Clorox is just a brand name and not one that is readily available in the UK.
Thanks

Crusader Rabbit

Veteran
Would any bleach do? As it seems Clorox is just a brand name and not one that is readily available in the UK.
Thanks

The powerful antimicrobial ingredient in Chlorox is sodium hypochlorite. They recently changed their recipe to double the concentration and recommend to use half as much as before. You want "regular household bleach", not something with added scent fresheners or brightening agents. I can't find my old bottle, but a new bottle of concentrated Chlorox has 8.25% sodium hypochlorite.

Snype

Veteran
Thanks
Crusader answered the question pretty well for you! The only thing that I can add is that Clorox didn't double the rates of sodium hypochlorite but they did raise them to 8.25% from I believe 5.9% which would be about 40%. You will want to use the regular version of a house hold Bleach. Not the splash guard thick one and not anything scented like Crusader said. Adjust your formula for the amount of sodium hypochlorite that your Bleach has. At about 6% sodium hypochlorite, 1 mL will bring a 22 Gallon Rez to 1 PPM Chlorine. Being between 0.5 - 1 PPM Chlorine is a good place to be. If you have root problems, you will want to hold between 2 - 2.5 PPM Chlorine. It is best to have a chlorine meter to monitor your chlorine levels if you begin to have lots of problems. They are very cheap to buy and in my opinion a necessity in hydroponics.

The powerful antimicrobial ingredient in Chlorox is sodium hypochlorite. They recently changed their recipe to double the concentration and recommend to use half as much as before. You want "regular household bleach", not something with added scent fresheners or brightening agents. I can't find my old bottle, but a new bottle of concentrated Chlorox has 8.25% sodium hypochlorite.
Thanks!

paperchaser825

Wondering if you know of a cheap reagent-less chlorine meter that doesn't cost an arm and a leg. If not, is the reagent easy to use on small samples?

Snype

Veteran
Wondering if you know of a cheap reagent-less chlorine meter that doesn't cost an arm and a leg. If not, is the reagent easy to use on small samples?

I use an Extech CL-200 which cost me around $150. It takes a 20 mL sample that you have to put the pills in the vial to make it react. There are cheaper ones that you can find on google for less than $50. I'm pretty sure you are asking for one that doesn't use those pills but that's something that google is better for than me. I'm just a cat and I don't have thumbs!

Last edited:
W

willyweed

what light is over how many clones please?
ps ,love the pictures of the roots !

Snype

Veteran
what light is over how many clones please?
ps ,love the pictures of the roots !

120 Watt CFL is above a EZ Clone 60. The light is placed pretty high. You don't want your light close to your cuttings until they root and you add more feed.

b00m

~No Guts~ ~No Glory~
Mentor
Veteran
:good: Nice work brother Snype :good:
In what form do you get your Erythromycin?? I mean is it liquid or pill or powder?? :chin:
And isn't Erythromycin just another name for Penicillin?? :chin:

Snype

Veteran
:good: Nice work brother Snype :good:
In what form do you get your Erythromycin?? I mean is it liquid or pill or powder?? :chin:
And isn't Erythromycin just another name for Penicillin?? :chin:

My Erythromycin comes in powder and my thread explaining all those details can easily be accessible to everyone in one easy to read post right here:
https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=267488

Erythromycin and Penicillin are 2 different types of antibiotics. Thanks for popping by!

Snype

Veteran
6 days in the cloner and the temperatures are a little warm for my liking. Temperatures are at 82 F and it would be nice to be 75 F but I don't have that luxury. Stardog #9:

picture.php

Excellent thread mate, its helping me lots, so thank you.

When the cutts are rooting, do they require a light misting on their leaves? I think i read in a book that when taking cuttings to keep them in a prop, and spray and air occasionaly.
With no experience on my side, all ive got is whatever i read, so please dont think im questioning anything your doing, im just trying to learn more.

My last set didnt do that well, but after reading your posts, im pretty sure i was waterboarding them, and they wernt getting enough air.

thanks for the help snype, much appreciated mate.
Peace

Snype

Veteran
Excellent thread mate, its helping me lots, so thank you.

When the cutts are rooting, do they require a light misting on their leaves? I think i read in a book that when taking cuttings to keep them in a prop, and spray and air occasionaly.
With no experience on my side, all ive got is whatever i read, so please dont think im questioning anything your doing, im just trying to learn more.

My last set didnt do that well, but after reading your posts, im pretty sure i was waterboarding them, and they wernt getting enough air.

thanks for the help snype, much appreciated mate.
Peace

No need to mist.

The fat

Hey Snype, I built DIY cloner and my room is really cold around 62 with water 65 do you think I need a heater?

Anyway BadAss threads keep up the good work.

Snype

Veteran
Hey Snype, I built DIY cloner and my room is really cold around 62 with water 65 do you think I need a heater?

Anyway BadAss threads keep up the good work.

If the water is 65, you should be fine. They may just take more time to root.