What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Tagging Clones for identification Writing on MJ with Magic Markers

ChaosCatalunya

5.2 club is now 8.1 club...
Veteran
Just take care they do not end up cutting into the stem, I saw several large outdoor plants that died just as they went into flower because a hard plastic tie around the stem killed them. That is why I now stick to the soft plastic labels I posted, even that has to be watched and tweaked when you get a bit of girth on.

These stay on even after harvest, so you never loose track of what is what.

M

medi-useA

Combine those tags with the cocktail swords and you might be into something worthwhile...

Nah, I disagree. The whole point is to have something that won't fall off or get lost, otherwise I'd just use regular old plant markers you stick in the soil. I want something thats physically attached to the clone, savvy? To each their own, eh? :wave:

With smaller clones and more per square inch they may be too small for attaching something...until they are big enough to attach something then the best bet would be marking stem/leaves with glitterglue/ink/mascara/wax pencil etc...or the cocktail-sword'&'tags in grow cube/puck idea...

Thanks for disagreeing so nicely...:), always nice to share opinions and expand my knowledge.

Another wild suggestion: needle and thread!..coloured thread...one or two stitches, snip, onto the next one:)...

muA

Tonatiuh

its me Dave man open up the door...
ICMag Donor
Veteran
i buy plain white blinds from the dollar store,cut them into like 4-5 inch strips ,cut the bottom into a point ans stick in cup...can get like 1000 tags from 1 blind...like 3.99
peace-T-

L

LolaGal

Dang! What good ideas ya'll got!

I like the needle and thread idea... sneaky sneaky.. that would work great. stitch a color into a leaf... hmmm. I believe they would tolerate that just fine.

And Tona! What a clever idea! Thanks!

M

medi-useA

Put a sequin or bead on the thread or drive a sterile pin INTO base of cutting

Got it!.....:yoinks:

For Leaves Only
A paper hole punch! You can also buy some that punch out different shapes!...
Ha! Beat THAT! ;):dueling::joint:

TeeHeeteeheeteehee!

muA

Aaanndd I'mm Speeeent....

B

bongoie

I wrote on a leaf , thank's lola . never used a sharpie marker type more a pointy pen type , it ripped the leaf a bit when writing on it .

For the plastic toothpic/coctktail idea . I'm after seeing insulating tape in 8 different colour's , that could be a flag for identification .

H

headfortrinity

i buy plain white blinds from the dollar store,cut them into like 4-5 inch strips ,cut the bottom into a point ans stick in cup...can get like 1000 tags from 1 blind...like 3.99
peace-T-

You paid 3.99 at the dollar store, you got ripped off.

My mom says, look what I got from the dollar store. I say, that's nice how much was it?

Tonatiuh

its me Dave man open up the door...
ICMag Donor
Veteran
lol the dollar storre is the most misleading name for a store lolnot everything is a buck yo.
and they do have the shorter blinds cheaper like for small ass windows but they dont nearly supply enough tags for me yo.
peace-T-

L

LolaGal

Clones are beginning to root! The Cali Oranges are always the first to root.

The identification with Sharpie has worked!!!

No apparent ill effects from toxic ink.

The leaves I wrote on are just fine, and the clones are rooting up a storm.

Seems to be a successful experiment.

Thanks again for all the interesting posts! I am gonna steal lots of these ideas.

M

medi-useA

Clones are beginning to root! The Cali Oranges are always the first to root.
:woohoo: good one LolaGal!

The identification with Sharpie has worked!!!

No apparent ill effects from toxic ink.

The leaves I wrote on are just fine, and the clones are rooting up a storm.

Seems to be a successful experiment.
:joint:

Thanks again for all the interesting posts! I am gonna steal lots of these ideas.
Ya can't steal what was freely given, lass :bis:

muA

L

LolaGal

The Great Taggin Clones with Sharpie experiment has ended. Here are the results.

This worked great! 99% of the clones were easily identified with the Sharpie, rooted fine, no problems.

Sharpie marker held up just fine.

1% of the clones had a little problem. Their marked leaves died (normal) as they rooted. I had to look on the dead brown leaf for the marks! They were there! even on the dead leaf, it was still there the writing!

Only 2 clones lost their leaves and were unidentified...

Not too bad, cause I dropped the whole tray when cutting and they were all mixed up. Now if I had not written on them, I would have a whole tray with no idea who is who.

I think this is a successful experiment, and works well. I will continue doing this.

Thanks for the update Lola! I wondered how this was going.

I guess you could always remark one time after top growth has started, farther up the plant. Then you should not have to worry about losing leaves!

peace,
as

M

medi-useA

Glad to see it all worked out for ya LolaGal...but don't forget to let us know how the coloured thread and needle thingy works out if you ever use it...or any other method!

muA

ChaosCatalunya

5.2 club is now 8.1 club...
Veteran
FWIW... I just found some 5 year old stems.. still with varieties and plant ID in Sharpie Permanent marker clearly visible ..

I also buy kids art foam sheets in different colours, this, cut into tags, Sharpie if needed, expands with the stem as it grows, is inert and never messes the plant up.. except in high winds outdoors. Stays on the stem till after harvest, works great.

St. Phatty

I have tried putting them in little rows, making little flags out of toothpicks and stickers, rubber bands.. nothing works too great.

I finally decided to write on the leaf of the clones with a magic marker. Will this work? Has anybody else tried this?

I don't know why I never thought of writing on the leaf, but I don't see why it won't work, and it's easy to do.

What do ya'll do when you have several strains in the same basket?

I used to buy 100 packs of plastic markers for $3.

Now ... I buy packs of wood things in the craft section at the dollar store. Sort of like Super wide wood popsicle sticks. $1 for 60 of them.