What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Wrinkled leaves- Mosaic virus? Overfert? Mutation? Sodium ? pH ?

MynameStitch

Dr. Doolittle
Mentor
Veteran
i have a plant doing the same thing, i was thinking its a mutation as well. Not mosaic virus for sure. I treated mine with a systemic insecticide and the weird jagged shit started. I'll snap a shot for you so you can compare. Looks identical to me though.

weird.jpg

I know for a fact insecticides can cause this problem you are talking about, I have seen a lot of plants, when using these products just kill the hel out of the plants, including organics.

To help prevent this, do not use toxic chem's unless no other alternative or choice.

Make sure your plants are well fed and watered, a lot of these can cause water absorbtion issues and can cause other problems that is not shown in this picture.

But there are stuff that is used on plants can kill.

What product did you use on these?

oldog

Very sorry for the double post MynameStitch. Yes, I had white fly infestation in the parents of
the plants that had this problem. Baliman, yours does look similar, except mine were not yellowing like yours.
I used Neem twice on mine. Mine did not recover and have been dumped.

MynameStitch

Dr. Doolittle
Mentor
Veteran
I wasn't mad or anything lol, I was just saying if you want your problem solved it's best to put something in one thread, because people will get frustrated and chose not to help, because information is in different places.

Since they been culled, let us know if any other plants end up getting this same problem.

Just make sure you clean everything extremely well if you grow more with the same pots and such.

oldog

Thanks Stitch, I have been sanitizing razors, clippers etc but will be even more careful with the seedlings.
I have discarded all old coco and will spray the room and pots with bleach before. Man , this is a long learning process !

D

dunkybones

Oldog--

If you want yet another opinion on your past problems, it doesn't look like any infestation to me. It looks like something got out of balance with nute/pH. Maybe over fert, maybe out of line pH. Did the plants ever stall, stop taking up nutes as quickly? Did the coco stay sopping wet for days? If so, the plant stopped moving water/nutes, and the low humidity dried the leaves. I have leaf curl on my healthy plants, the result of low rh, heavy circulating fan, and a hot spot from the reflector, no biggie. But if you combine that with something wrong in the fertigation schedule, and the plants yellow, then things get ugly brother. The harder and longer a plant gets hit, the harder and longer it takes to recover, and dried parts of the plant probably never will.

Use your new fangled meter next go, it'll become your best friend. As for cleaning everything to stave off the risk of some weird virus, a grow room can't be too clean.

MynameStitch

Dr. Doolittle
Mentor
Veteran
Dunkybones, he had a past infestation before, not right now; I posted the link where he said he had an infestation, but the damage was too late, because those pests carried a virus to his plants.

oldog

Stitch, big respect to you. I think you are #1 on plant problems but...I don't think its an infection, disease,virus etc. Why ?

From my original post:
" Three types of plants - and all are affected:
N.lights from seeds, Lemon Kush from seeds & different supplier,
Blueberry/Hawaiian 3rd generation clones."

Do you agree that infections have to come from some cut (cloning, wind damage etc) or from insects biting them ? I saw that on one of those agricultural university sites. Well all parts of all plants were affected.. old leaves and young emerging leaves.
They all got it, all over every plant, at the same time.
There wasn't only a few leaves on some plants and then it spread.

The white fly infestation I had was with the Blueberry parents of
one set of the plants, so maybe those could have got infected both by flies and by dirty razor blade. The other were from seeds from 2 different suppliers.

For all plants, all over on every leaf to look like that, IMHO would
have to be some nutritional error. My notes do not show any
major overnuting and the PH should not have been disasterously
off using the liquid pH tester.

Maybe one night when I was in no condition to be feeding them,
I added nutes to water that had already been mixed with nutes.
One very bad double dose of say 3,600 ppm sent them crazy.

Hopefully bali_man and dddownlowww will post a follow up here on their similar problem.

Thanks to all for your interest and help.

MynameStitch

Dr. Doolittle
Mentor
Veteran
Thank for the comments, but unforninatly I am not 100% either, I am human and make mistakes :)

Ya, the bugs or a infected equipment like a razor and so forth.....

From my experience with all the sick plants I have seen I never seen a plant bubble leaves like that and have it be a nutrient burn,,,,and I Have seen some pretty crazy ppm and nute burn..... but depending on how long it took to overtake it....

from the pictures you showed it was not affected all at once. Speaking on the picture you posted in your first thread.

did your seeds get it too?
From my experience I have never seen a nutrient burn the way it was on your plant, nor any pH issue either...... how long did it take to cover the whole plant?

Did you use any equipment to cut the plant that was used on other plants or not sanitized?

When you touched the leaves did they pop or crispy sound? The leaves that had the bubble on them?

Last edited:

oldog

" from the pictures you showed it was not affected all at once "

The only leaves that were not affected were some of the very large fan leaves at the bottom of the plants

" did your seeds get it too? "

They're only 12 days old - too early to know

"Did you use any equipment to cut the plant that was used on other plants or not sanitized?"

I don't think I did, but maybe I didn't do a good job

" When you touched the leaves did they pop or crispy sound? "

No, they just felt like how they looked - rough

I'll watch the seedlings and let you know how they do.

Cheers

dddownlowww

My affected plant is still messed up, but I agree that it looks like a nutrient problem with this strain. Lots of cuts of the girl I posted have the same problem. I thought I could've worked through the nutrient issues now, but since my patient is bagseed, I have no idea what it is or what it is used to.

I haven't seen this move to any of my other strains, and my NL and SSSDH babies look emerald and contented.

ddd

dddownlowww

My girls were definitely complaining about some hot soil. After a while, they finally recovered. I pushed them a little with the nutes again, and they started with the yellowing.

If you're reading this and wonder if your plant has the same thing, flush that plant well and wait a couple weeks.

hazy

Veteran
I had some plants almost identical just a while ago. It took them months to outgrow it. The older ones never did, flowered them and got what i got. The clones from them showed the same symptoms, but finally grew out of it after a couple months. Mostly back to normal now, but I still have plants with the signs of stunting from before they grew out of it.

oldog

Months later - I planted out the seeds from the original sick plants and as you can see they are similarly affected.
The photos show them at 9 weeks from seed. Worst is in the top photo, best is bottom photo.
(Disease is supposed to not be able to transfer through seeds)
Only young leaves show the problem, which started with one plant and now all 4 look bad with only
one unaffected one left.
Photos were taken last week after they started to show the curling/wrinkling.
New coco, straight, no additives, sterilized room and pots, Lucas Lite ( 4ml Micro, 8 ml Bloom ).
Using city water that they claim is purer than many brands of bottled water. About 75 ppm.
88F/31C in room, soil 85F/29C, 60 % humidity, hand watered with nutrient daily, pH always 5.8 or very close.
I am giving them straight water now but it looks like they are a lost cause.
The leaves cannot function curled up like that so they will die soon.

Two recent orders of seeds have disappeared on the way here - Maybe its time to give up growing!

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

MynameStitch

Dr. Doolittle
Mentor
Veteran
Hello oldog, I am sorry for getting back to you so late; things and family life have been hectic and trying to spend spare time on everything here and there ya know.

Months later - I planted out the seeds from the original sick plants and as you can see they are similarly affected.

Ya, I figured you would have this problem again, your problem does not seem to be nutrient related, if so it would not "just happen" the situation your having that is; don't get me wrong nutrient problems do just happen overnight; but with yours; if there was a
problem it should not be starting the way it did.

Dieasese can be transfered to seeds depending on how they got it, weather it was from virus or bacteria; either way it can be transfered to seeds; as bacteria, mold mildew the stuff stays on seeds and when the time is right it comes out when conditions are met.

With this issue, I am not sure "exactly" what the name of the problem is; but I do know that the only thing affects newer growth this way is

A) heat, dry heat from lighting and or too strong of light intensity being too close.
B) micronutrient problem
C) bacteria/virus that is affecting newer roots and thus you are seeing the dying of roots through the leaves.

Since we know it's not the top 2 since you had this problem before, it could only be a problem that was brought again by the seeds...... I honestly don't see any other way they could be having them, unless I am missing something; but like I said before I never seen a micronutrient problem like this

are they all from the same seeds?

Don't give up on growing!!! Don't ever do that; there will be times when you hit stumps, but going through with it and not quitting only makes you more knowledgeable and more self esteem that you can get over these hurdles!

burnt out og'er
Veteran
Mmmmm
Is there possibly a wife, girlfriend who protests against having the grow around or who may be jealous of you spending time and money on it instead of her ?

Has the grow space ever smelled like booze or iso alcohol ?

:jawdrop:

burnt out og'er
Veteran
lol 10k have you seen what alcohol does to plants?

yea "lol you too mynamestitch"
That's not the only toxin a pissed off spouse has at their disposal mns
Alcohol depending on how much and how applied would affect the newest growth first with a heat damaged dried up appearance.
All kinds of household chems could f'k up a plant bigtime. Shit happens in life mns, so do NOT ever dismiss the veracity of a pissed off spouse...yikes !

So the question remains... no offense to the thread starter...but...same question still...Is there possibly a wife or girlfriend who protests against having the grow around or who may be jealous of you spending time and money on it instead of on her ? or a paranoia about having the grow around ?