What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

COB vs Panel

Hubbleman

Veteran
Is COB running hotter than panels??

Also, what if COBs need to be hanged higher than panels?? Which might be a problem for small scale grows??

St. Phatty

attachment.php

I was going to ask a question about these other kind of "COB" LED lights.

I think some of the ads describe them as "Corn Cob" lights.

They seem to run 60 to 100 watts, with a lot of LED's obviously.

I was web-searching for something and found these COB-ish lights. With COB LED's and looking like a corn cob, a little.

Does anybody have experience with the Corn Cob COB LED lights ?

Being able to get 60 or 100 watts out of 1 normal size socket is a plus.

Attachments

• 81N9uQwhjaL._AC_SY402_corn-cob.jpg
    81N9uQwhjaL._AC_SY402_corn-cob.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 20

Koondense

Veteran
Those are not cob leds, fyi.
The whole thing about heating is simple, cobs are smaller so they get hotter if driven at same watts as a panel(heat is concentrated on cob back surface, panels area is bigger so lower overall temperature).

Lost in a SOG

GrassSnakeGenetics
Problem i have with cobs is more that the driver is built into my cobs so the extra heat is from that. With boards i can locate the ballast outside the box.

Its probably nearly the same amount of heat generated by LEDs in boards or cobs its just more concentrated in cobs to a more confined area.

jikko77

Problem i have with cobs is more that the driver is built into my cobs so the extra heat is from that. With boards i can locate the ballast outside the box.

Its probably nearly the same amount of heat generated by LEDs in boards or cobs its just more concentrated in cobs to a more confined area.

Two build ago i had like 1.5m cable between the "driver" and the cobs (tbh they were like 2 driver), 'cause i wanted few 5k run at max "power" while leaving me the possibility to dim out the remaining 3k.

have the driver away from the "cobs" is possible, and it works just fine.

in a 60*120*170 cm tent is like 4-5°C less at min.

Ibechillin

Masochist Educator
Awesome additons Koondense, Lost in a SOG, and jikko77 gotta add that into the lighting sticky soon.

jikko77

@Ibechillin i do have something similar, to your signature, but in my own language (ita). i'm more than happy to share knowledge.

Lost in a SOG

GrassSnakeGenetics
Ahah I just took my cobs apart and lengthened the lead between them and the driver :D

Cant believe i didnt think to do this before lol.. they now weigh half as much and kick out half as much heat in the box.. win win :woohoo:

I wasnt running them due to this but will be doing now.. thanks jikko77 for that dose of common sense :)