What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Outdoor Strains for Mold Resistance

THC123

Veteran
Frisian dew, guerilla gold, purple nr 1 passion 1 are all good as far as mold is concerned

wvkindbud38

Elite Growers Club
Veteran

I can attest that Realgorillaseeds has some GREAT mold resistance strains. I grew 7-8 strains outdoors in USa Appalachian mtns this summer. It rained more than I've probably ever seen this outdoor season.... floods, mudslides, rain up into October even and no major issues. I ran the fems...Sour Orange Diesel, The Kore, Dosidos, Affidaze, DFG, Fast Diesel, Purkle1..also ran Super Platinum Cookies, and Super Cream Cookies. All these strains basically made it through the toughest outdoor conditions imaginable......anybody in the Appalachian area knows what I mean. I've took a break after harvest to just relax and not have to worry about helicopters coming in on me.....and all the stress from having to grow illegally. But I can't say enough about these strains. The Purkle1 was very good, SOD....The Kore, Dosidos....like I said they all turned out great. I can't really pick a favorite but Purkle1, Dosidos, SCC, SPC, the SOD also a good strain. The DFG is a good guerilla plant.....it was finished in early Sept with a huge cola. I've gotta get my grow threads updated and finished. I'll put more info about everything to do with these strains. I'm gonna upload the rest of my pics and stuff over the Holidays from these plants. I got a very late start on these plants(around End June from seed) and everything did good. I really can't say enough about Panikz and Realgorillaseeds. He really has been great to me, and I look forward to running some more this summer and maybe get back into some indoor growing as well this winter/spring.

I've also heard alot about Delahaze from Paradise. I've seen a few guys in this region say it's mold resistant. This is a great thread.....I'm very interested in what others have had good luck with. But I'm very confident in Realgorillaseeds. I'm definitely gonna be centering 2019 outdoors around some of these Realgorillaseeds strains. If there's anything I can help anybody with about these strains just ask me.

wvkindbud38

Elite Growers Club
Veteran
Most of the Realgorillaseeds strains I ran finished around first October, 2nd WK or so. Except the DFG....it was fully done huge cola early Sept.
All the strains have cured pretty good and really good weed. Like I said it's really hard to say I like one better than the next. But the Purkle1, and SCC, SPC are really really good. It's all pretty good though, the Dosidos is a beautiful plant. It's like the Skunk1 Xmas tree type plants.....very resinous. So yes these strains have made it through insane humidity, rain, wind.....very very heavy rains. If you keep these pruned a lil on the bottom to let the air circulate you should be ok on mold, budrot. I've noticed a few new strains I'd like to get from Realgorillaseeds for 2019

'Boogieman'

One thing I noticed growing outdoors in the midwest great lake area, I get way more mold (bud rot specifically) in warm wet conditions rather than cool wet conditions.

therevverend

Veteran
This has been the worst year ever for grey mould in Western Washington. There was a huge lightning storm September 7th, started pouring rain, and the weather's been fucked up ever since. After the 12th there hasn't been a 70 degree F day and my denser flowers have probably never been dry. We had heavy winds a couple days ago, not in the weather reports, trashed my remaining mold-free plants. Broken stalks and tossed all over. Watching my crop I worked hard for get annihilated has me thinking a lot about grey mold.

Which I think a lot about anyway, living where I do. Most years I lose my big tops. I've never seen anything like this. Even the mold-free buds are premature and storm damaged. Harvesting is horrible, consists of hacking each branch apart to salvage one or two small flowers.

Surface area is the number one factor in mold. Doesn't really matter what the strain is. Grape Ape has decent resistance, very strong healthy plants. Never gets stem rot. But the flowers are very dense and compact, once they get wet for 72 hours they rot from the inside out. That's the worst because by the time the outside shows signs it's too late.

G13 x Hashplant has a reputation for mold susceptibility. I've found that to be wrong, it's probably the most resistant 100% Afghani strains I've grown. I'm not saying it's 100% resistant but when the mold starts it'll hold out much longer then a lot of other strains. My plant this year got stem rot, I immediately treated with neosporin and rubbing alcohol and cured it! I've stopped stem boytritis plenty of times, held it in check, but I've never completely cured it.

The flowers too have shown good resistance. They're still immature but the mold is much slower to spread. The flowers are dense, 'heavy', but medium sized and they have a lot of surface area. The transpiration rate is what's important, how much water can evaporate out of the flowers and leaves. G1388HP has a looser, segmented type flower. Lots of nooks and crannies to allow the air to siphon off the water. Something to look for in a strain.

I've been surprised by the mold resistance Bodhi's G13HP crosses have shown. Oh, they rot like hell sometimes, especially the big dense flowers, but they mostly show a degree of resistance. Much more then Purple Urkle hybrids that seem to have everything going against them. Big dense buds, Afghani genes, very little surface area.

I've been thinking about the role the leaves play. Of course a leafy plant blocks out the sun, doesn't allow the flowers to get light. That's a nightmare but big leaves also transpire a lot of water. The plant has to move water from the flowers to the leaves to keep them from wilting. It seems weird to me to see a root bound plant in a container wilting from thirst but covered in rotting flowers.

I don't trust a lot of breeder reports about their strain's resistance. I feel a lot of it comes from assuming strains that are tropical dominate will be mold resistant while Afghan dominate strains will be mold prone. I'm guessing a lot of them don't test their strains out in bad conditions. I wouldn't assume a narrow leaf dominate hybrid was mold resistant unless it was 100% narrow leaf. Even then I'd still want to test it myself.

The mold prone genes seem to dominate. Boytritis is the number one most destructive cannabis disease in the world, I'd like to see a lot more studies and tests done. So much of what gets passed around as knowledge is conventional wisdom. I can see I was surprised by how mold resistant Mextiza was last year but in the end it still started to rot. It's inevitable that once any plant ends up laying on the wet ground for weeks it will get broken down.

You hear a lot about the natural fungicides that cannabis produces, especially in the flowers. These are nice but boytritis is resistant to them. I've read that some fungus have evolved to metabolize THC, I'm wondering if boytritis is one of them. I've also read certain fungus can increase the amount of THC, I remember certain fools encouraged by this tried smoking rotten flowers. Dumb, especially because it's been shown that boytritis does not increase THC.

meizzwang

So sorry to hear that thereverend, and I concur with you. While there probably are some out there, I haven't ever had a modern hybrid with high mold resistance. Some years, we just don't get mold because the weather is right.

However, after growing dozens of landraces over the years, I have found a few that definitely have incredibly high resistance. This doesn't mean they aren't susceptible to rot: they'll all eventually get botrytis, but they'll persist in cold, wet weather for several months when modern hybrids will have otherwise melted.

I don't think there's a single strain that's immune to rot, but there are several that are resistant, which means they can remain symptom free for a period of time when the weather favors rot.

Here's my experiences in the Pacific NW. These plants were all exposed to several weeks to months of rain and cold weather. Landrace strains with lower resistance (but still higher compared to most modern hybrids):
1) Malawi Gold-finished mid february
2) Ace's Panama-finishes late November
3) Kumaoni-late November
4) Nanda Devi-late November

Landraces with high resistance:
1) Malana-finishes late October. Stems with popcorn buds were left until december, and eventually got stem rot, but it took a long time. remaining old buds never got botrytis!
2) Punto rojo-finished late November rot free. Notes: another individual finishing in mid december got botrytis before fully ripe.
3) Mazar i Sharif-results from one female: finished late November, had the typical baseball bat thick buds that just kept getting thicker and thicker! Got rained on for weeks, stayed rot free for a long time. Very surprising that this didn't rot.
4) Manipuri- the absolute most resistant strain I've ever grown. finished mid december to mid January.

therevverend

Veteran
Yeah landraces can show remarkable durability. It seems so strange to me to see a ganja plant alive outdoors in December when the days are under 9 hours. The one I grew last year, no idea what it's origins were, didn't show a single nanner either. It survived until January. I was surprised by the potency too. Even though it looked terrible and didn't smell too good it got me stoned.

I'm not surprised the Manipuri was the most mold resistant. Don't have facts to back it up. But it seems like the eastern Himalayas, Nagaland, Assam, Manipur, northern Burma and southern China, would be very wet in late flowering.

There was certainly quite a bit of boytritis but it didn't spread through the flowers. Landrace flowers are individual 'compartments'. Even when the flowers are large only certain segments rot and can be trimmed and removed. I've seen far too many dense buds ruined by a small amount of rot running up the central stalk. Even though only 20% of the bud it damaged it's worthless because there's no way to remove the moldy parts.

My biggest problem right now, after I've written off the moldy plants, is that the non-moldy ones have such extensive storm damage. Big waterlogged buds breaking stems. I have a 10 foot tall plant with almost no boytritis but there's so much water the top of the plant was hanging down almost to the ground. Must have weighed over 10 lbs. The damage this does to the THC production is terrible. The flowers are maturing rapidly but the potency is taking a bit hit from the structural damage. At least the weather has gotten cold, it's not going to help dry things out but it should halt the mold from spreading.

The Ancient OGs are showing amazing resistance. The plants have almost no boytritis, even the tops. The problem is that like a lot of stuff it still has a long way to go. The choice is to hack it in 4 days or let it go through a week or more of rain.

The good news is that mushroom season is coming early this year. I just hope this Alaskan weather trend doesn't bring an early frost. I'm calling this an Anti-Nino, wet cool conditions as opposed to dry or warm and wet.

'Boogieman'

Yeah landraces can show remarkable durability. It seems so strange to me to see a ganja plant alive outdoors in December when the days are under 9 hours. The one I grew last year, no idea what it's origins were, didn't show a single nanner either. It survived until January. I was surprised by the potency too. Even though it looked terrible and didn't smell too good it got me stoned.

I'm not surprised the Manipuri was the most mold resistant. Don't have facts to back it up. But it seems like the eastern Himalayas, Nagaland, Assam, Manipur, northern Burma and southern China, would be very wet in late flowering.

There was certainly quite a bit of boytritis but it didn't spread through the flowers. Landrace flowers are individual 'compartments'. Even when the flowers are large only certain segments rot and can be trimmed and removed. I've seen far too many dense buds ruined by a small amount of rot running up the central stalk. Even though only 20% of the bud it damaged it's worthless because there's no way to remove the moldy parts.

My biggest problem right now, after I've written off the moldy plants, is that the non-moldy ones have such extensive storm damage. Big waterlogged buds breaking stems. I have a 10 foot tall plant with almost no boytritis but there's so much water the top of the plant was hanging down almost to the ground. Must have weighed over 10 lbs. The damage this does to the THC production is terrible. The flowers are maturing rapidly but the potency is taking a bit hit from the structural damage. At least the weather has gotten cold, it's not going to help dry things out but it should halt the mold from spreading.

The Ancient OGs are showing amazing resistance. The plants have almost no boytritis, even the tops. The problem is that like a lot of stuff it still has a long way to go. The choice is to hack it in 4 days or let it go through a week or more of rain.

The good news is that mushroom season is coming early this year. I just hope this Alaskan weather trend doesn't bring an early frost. I'm calling this an Anti-Nino, wet cool conditions as opposed to dry or warm and wet.

I have a 10ft leaner mold free, if it wasn't for the cage she would probably be touching the ground. Thanks for the advice with the G13/HP, I'm going to cross Durban Poison with G13/HP hoping to make a solid, potent, disease resistant outdoor strain. Is this the type of bud structure your talking about? It is airy yet dense if that makes sense and I think that is what your talking about as far as bud structure goes. I suppose the bright side to a leaner is that you finally get a look at the top colas.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190929-165921_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20190929-165921_Gallery.jpg
    114.6 KB · Views: 31
  • Screenshot_20190929-165926_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20190929-165926_Gallery.jpg
    179.5 KB · Views: 34
  • Screenshot_20190929-172031_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20190929-172031_Gallery.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 29

gp7zx69

Veteran
sorry for the fuzzy pics. i have grown ultra early love potion for three years on and off, including this year. some phenos
are insanely mold proof, others not so much, we get lots of rain here. it's fairly early here @49l, from sept 7 to 25th, depending on the pheno. great lemony smell and a good yeilder as a clone,strong stem and branches imo. i took a clone from a completely mold proof plant this year to run next year, and cross it to a couple other strains.
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php

Last edited:

St. Phatty

I have 2 plants that are both Blueberry Headband crosses.

One of them has tight dense buds. I started inspecting her about 3 weeks ago, found a trace of mold about 2 weeks ago, and started progressively harvesting buds.

One thing I noticed, "The Look", on the inside of a bud, before the mold starts.

It is done, it has stopped growing.

That plant is a FAVORITE. Looking forward to smoking her for the next year - starting with the moldy pieces.

Her Blue HB sister is still going, still putting on weight, FINALLY putting on decent frost.

Buds are not as dense, and plant is about 50% bigger than her sister. No signs of mold, and she's at 30 + 31 + 15 days, almost 11 weeks.

If it comes with resin, I prefer the mold-susceptible sister plant.

Buddah Watcha

Veteran
Chem Kesey by Bodhi, this plant took 3 weeks of straight rain and shitty weather, not a spec of mold. Tight ass nugs too, both phenos I had, 0 mold, done middle october at over 51N... Next year will run it again for sure!

I heard good things about the 88g13 male adding great mold resistance, so those Bodhi crosses are defeinitely something to look into! Some Great crosses too!

THC123

Veteran
Frisian dew, guerilla gold, purple nr 1 passion 1 are all good as far as mold is concerned

Well you can scrap this remark. In the past Dutch Passion outdoor varieties were solid and dependable.

I am pretty sure they don't use the same parents when they are reproducing seeds. In 10 years the genetics have changed a lot.

This year I grew out 12 + plants from dutch passion: frisian, purple, passion and durban. All were very late, about 7-14 days later than usual and almost all (except 2) were really sensitive to mold. The kind of mold that makes you lose a whole cola if you see a tiny speck on the outside.

Really dissappointed this year. The cannabis itself is really good and tasty, special aromas, but outdoor strains need to be mold resistant or GTFO!!!

Buddah Watcha

Veteran
Nothing worse than nurturing a plant all year long, just to have to throw it all out in the last week... I had some big loses to mold this year... Part of the game, learn and adapt, next year going with similar strains that did good this year!

Peace!

dufous

I grew Dutch Passion Durban Poison in a Massachusetts swamp this year. It finished mid-September and had one speck of mold.

This year I grew out 12 + plants from dutch passion: frisian, purple, passion and durban. All were very late, about 7-14 days later than usual and almost all (except 2) were really sensitive to mold. The kind of mold that makes you lose a whole cola if you see a tiny speck on the outside.

squatty

I just got myself a few more seeds from The Real Seed Company. I'm hoping their Murree strain will be a good one to try and resist mold.

Grown at around 2500 metres, the Murree strain is an intensely resinous landrace that’s adapted to high rainfall and humidity. Good resistance to mold and cold can be expected.

We shall see!

'Boogieman'

The DP Durban Poison I grew this year is by far the most mold resistant plant I have grown, no pm or bud rot to be found while most of my other plants had heavy losses. This was also a more sativa phenotype then most phenos I have grown and was ready October 15th. It's still drying but the finger hash from trimming has a strong anise smell.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20191006-125949_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20191006-125949_Gallery.jpg
    224.9 KB · Views: 30
  • Screenshot_20191010-184959_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20191010-184959_Gallery.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 30

Treevly

Nothing worse than nurturing a plant all year long, just to have to throw it all out in the last week... I had some big loses to mold this year... Part of the game, learn and adapt, next year going with similar strains that did good this year!
Peace!

If I may ask: which strains causes your losses?

Thank you.

gp7zx69

Veteran
RE POST#50... here's a few pics of an ultra early love potion plant i kept a clone of this year, so easy to trim, ZERO mold, i left a lower branch pollinated with azure rocket out for 2 weeks after harvest and that bud was spotless...
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
but more importantly, it's stuff you will want to smoke, and so will your friends.

Last edited: