What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Does anyone have info on testing equipment for mmj

Miquiztli

Ive been looking for info on starting a lab, but have not found much info on equipment and such. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

as a courtesy im gonna respond. People dont usually answer questions like that from people with 20 posts... I would suggest becoming part of the family. and im sure if you stick around you will learn plenty!

rob feature

You'll need chromatography equipment for starters. Hope you have deep pockets. And I'm gonna guess since you have to ask such a question, you may not be qualified to operate this equipment. Students in my department don't get to touch this sort of thing until graduate study.

Morcheeba*

Veteran
just do a basic web search in ANY medical state for testing labs.

if you have money then hire someone to advise you on issues related to this specific industry.

just one from a search....... analytical 360

Miquiztli

Just cuz I have a few post does not mean I haven't been around. Ive been around lurking since overgrow. I've had an account here but deleted it a while ago. I just moved to CO, from the South, so now I can post and be part of the community. Ill post pics and update my profile when I have time!
Thanks for your reply

as a courtesy im gonna respond. People dont usually answer questions like that from people with 20 posts... I would suggest becoming part of the family. and im sure if you stick around you will learn plenty!

stoned-trout

if it smells like fish
Veteran
if your asking here you aint ready.....a simple call to any lab asking their methods of testing or a web search would provide all you need....you aint ready

Sam_Skunkman

"RESIN BREEDER"
Veteran
look up Steep Hill labs and use their Quantacann. It is pre programmed and takes 3 minutes to sample it was created jointly by Harborside dispensary and is good to go. You could set up shop tomorrow with a quantacann and it's doesn't "ruin" the sample.

It is not real accurate, an does not do terpenes. It is a newer method.
-SamS

Yeah I don't get that either.

I WILL say if you want that job done RIGHT you'll probably have to pay someone else to do it. Mr. Rob got it right - running chemical analysis tests isn't like running a still in your back yard.

mojave green

rockin in the free world
Veteran
don't underestimate the complexities of running a still in your backyard yard! and don't underestimate people.
:laughing:

rob feature

don't underestimate the complexities of running a still in your backyard yard! and don't underestimate people.
:laughing:

I hope I'm not coming off as too harsh here, but anyone looking to run a testing lab should have a strong chemistry background & probably heavy botany. A person with this background would not ask such questions on a pot forum. It isn't necessary. You already know what you need through your training.

We're talking about a lab which will be asked for the public's trust as I assume this is for cannabis which will be sold to the public through a legitimate outlet. Sure, someone with little to no training can probably figure out how to get some of the equipment working. But it doesn't make the person qualified to run a testing lab whose results the public will be asked to trust.

If you're looking for a job doing this type of thing, typically you'll need a BS in chemistry plus a few years work experience just to get your foot in the door. Many will ask for a MS or PhD. You'd definitely need a PhD or some equivalent to oversee the lab. A startup lab will require lots of experience from the start - more than it sounds like the OP has. I'm not trying to bust balls. But I'm not gonna sugarcoat either. I think an honest question deserves an honest answer.

RoadRash

Ive been looking for info on starting a lab, but have not found much info on equipment and such. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

AuctionBDI.com sells some surplus analytical equipment for killer prices. They're a surplus re-seller in Silicon Valley, they have auctions on the boxes of tech stuff they get from tech companies like HP.

http://www.auctionBDI.com/

I noticed once they had an HP Gas Chromatograph listed.

BUT - I think if you talk to someone like Josh at SC Labs, that they know their chemistry upside down left right and backwards.

I recently decided to update my own chemistry education. I'm about 2/3 of the way through 'Tro', the author for a first year chem. course that is for students on the "science-track" (heavy duty).

Only 3 1/4 years left - and I'll have a knowledge level comparable so someone with a BS in chemistry !

What I mean to say is - there's some heavy duty learning & studying involved in running a Cannabis-oriented chem lab.

Agracan

You're looking at around 50k for a basic setup...Running something like and Agilent 1100. But like everyone else on here said you should get someone on board with the education end experience in doing this sort of work. There are procedures that need to be done over and above just running the machine and reading the screen.

rarelylucid

I hope I'm not coming off as too harsh here, but anyone looking to run a testing lab should have a strong chemistry background & probably heavy botany. A person with this background would not ask such questions on a pot forum. It isn't necessary. You already know what you need through your training.

We're talking about a lab which will be asked for the public's trust as I assume this is for cannabis which will be sold to the public through a legitimate outlet. Sure, someone with little to no training can probably figure out how to get some of the equipment working. But it doesn't make the person qualified to run a testing lab whose results the public will be asked to trust.

If you're looking for a job doing this type of thing, typically you'll need a BS in chemistry plus a few years work experience just to get your foot in the door. Many will ask for a MS or PhD. You'd definitely need a PhD or some equivalent to oversee the lab. A startup lab will require lots of experience from the start - more than it sounds like the OP has. I'm not trying to bust balls. But I'm not gonna sugarcoat either. I think an honest question deserves an honest answer.
Rob - while i agree the miquiztli doesn't seem to have solid footing on opening a lab and i also agree that people testing medical cannabis "should" have proper training and a stack of degree's, In my personal experience if your willing to get hexane poisoning from making the controls or simply have some friends in the industry you'll be welcomed with open arms. trained in how prepare, stage, and run a test. how to print the results and package them for the customer ( the dispensary).

Probably shouldn't rez the dead...

You can probably slide in without having the proper training or experience but you're not going to be able to offer reliable services. You'll just be throwing money down the drain as soon as these places start getting regulated. Doing chemical analysis testing without a PhD is a REALLY, REALLY BAD IDEA. You can't just substitute marketing for knowing how to do the job properly, regardless of what the rest of this industry seems to think.

As an aside there are people who have been doing just that in my area and it has destroyed the reputations of the dispensaries that bought their services. You don't want to buy weed from someone whose test results are based on the number of tests they order. A guy I know did a double blind test selling weed to two different dispensaries that both were tested by the same company. One listed his product at like 18% THC, the other at 13%. That's fucking clown shoes. People pay so much for quality assurance because it's important and difficult enough to be worth outsourcing.

Also, don't order testing from Analytical360 on the eastern side of WA. None of the quality, none of the assurance, and until a few months ago they didn't even have a decent machine. Don't know how they've stayed in business for years.

Last edited:

Classic Seeds

Veteran
I know 2 labs and they are both ran and owned by chemists its not something you can just throw money at and know what your doing to any tests your conducting .its advanced testing for trace elements like pestisides and mold traces etc .its just not bumping a dump in a tube and incinerating it to get a gas count and a chromatic reading .its a whole lot more .if your going to do it as a state certifiable lab testing sight you better get a real chemist on board .aloha cls

rarelylucid

I know 2 labs and they are both ran and owned by chemists its not something you can just throw money at and know what your doing to any tests your conducting .its advanced testing for trace elements like pestisides and mold traces etc .its just not bumping a dump in a tube and incinerating it to get a gas count and a chromatic reading .its a whole lot more .if your going to do it as a state certifiable lab testing sight you better get a real chemist on board .aloha cls
In time I hope the testing can be more homogenized and stable but with all the players running their own games and little regulation the patients can only trust and cross their fingers. What this reminds me of is the decades before the FDA got powerful, lots of marketing with transparency of practices.

Latest posts

Latest posts