What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

CBDs from Hemp

Payaso

Original Editor of ICMagazine
Veteran
When your goal is to produce high quality, high potency CBD oil the best source is from the hemp plant, rather than from what is usually grown from cannabis sativa and indica strains for the THC content. Hemp being just another variety of cannabis sativa grown for industrial use.

The hugely popular 'Charlotte's Web' strain was developed in 2011 by the Stanley brothers through crossbreeding a strain of marijuana with industrial hemp in their home state of Colorado. Did you know that it was originally named "Hippie's Disappointment?" 'Charlotte's Web' has less than 0.3% THC so it won't get you high, but it will calm your seizures from epilepsy.

The old cash crop of tobacco has been replaced in areas like Kentucky, where they are now allowing the growing of hemp. There are now many other states with legalized industrial hemp production, including: California, Colorado, Indiana, Maine, Montana, North Dakota, Oregon, South Carolina, North Carolina, Vermont, West Virginia, and Tennessee.

However, the federal government is still against this with recent news:
"On December 14, 2016 the DEA, in the Federal Register Volume 81, Number 240 re-classified all extracts of any member of the cannabis family, including hemp, as Schedule I Controlled Substances, or a substance with no recognized medical use. This scheduling took effect on January 13, 2017." ~Wikipedia

Will individual state's rights prevail against this insanity? It will take a lot of work to guarantee a future for hemp, and cannabis.

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
Charlotte's Web is actually a big disappointment for most people with seizures. The word is there are tons of other CBD rich strains with better results for most folks. The 'popularity' of it has been largely marketing based.

Turns out most people do better with low to moderate levels of THC with their CBD. There's also zero reason to create THC free strains for kids.

CBD, by itself, has an extremely limited medical efficacy. The real power is when it's combined with the other cannabinoids and terpenes, including THC.

Payaso

Original Editor of ICMagazine
Veteran
Thank you Douglas.Curtis for your insight on Charlotte's Web... you've got so much going on in Colorado since legalization. It si great to hear about this, which strains have the best ratio in your opinion?

Douglas.Curtis

Thank you Douglas.Curtis for your insight on Charlotte's Web... you've got so much going on in Colorado since legalization. It si great to hear about this, which strains have the best ratio in your opinion?
The "best" is as varied as the population of humans which use it.

For myself (neuropathic and physical pain, along with high functioning autism related issues), I prefer a moderate THC to CBD profile.

What I find more interesting are the strains which have (what I'm calling) "neutral terpene profiles." The first I experienced was harlequin. Though not completely 'neutral,' there is very little high or stone associated with its use.

The current strain which seems to work wonders for me is a specific cut of Canna-Tsu. The high/stone from this terpene profile and CBD/THC combination is nearly zero. I myself do not experience any high or stone which I can detect, yet all of the medicinal properties are in place. This particular cut allows massive doses of it to be used, without interfering with daily activities.

It seems the zero THC, to avoid inebriation, is incorrect and unnecessary. The efficacy of CBD is also greatly enhanced by the addition of at least a little THC and certainly the accompanying terpenes. You can look up the "Bell curve of effectiveness of CBD" and see what I mean. By itself, CBD has a very limited range of effectiveness.

Douglas.Curtis

On a side note, this is also why I'm adamantly against legislation which prevents people from growing their own, simply because they live close to a "dispensary."

No dispensary or state/county/licensed grow operation will ever be able to adequately supply the massive variety of strains and preparations required by the variety of humans which make up the public.

Avinash.miles

Caregiver Extraordinaire
ICMag Donor
Veteran
there are LOTS of CBD / THC balanced strains available in colorado now; started with harlequin, then loads of cannatonic crosses came around - my fav being cannatonic x sour tsunami, right now i have the remedy x good medicine for my balanced strain
but
with the growing popularity of hemp derived CBD concentrates (isolated in crystal form even)... i don't know how much longer i will continue with CBD/THC balanced strains. if CBD concentrates are widely available i think i would prefer to supplement CBD when needed and keep my ganja grow for all THC dominant strains.

I'm considering doing hemp for CBD crop this coming season... biggest obstacle seems like sourcing reliable seed stock and clones (and working the land of course, damn i need a tractor, or a friend with a tractor).

really excited that ICMAG has a hemp forum now, looking forward to what materializes in here

ChaosCatalunya

5.2 club is now 8.1 club...
Veteran
Take care, as I have heard that a lot of the CBD on offer cheap is made from Chinese Hemp rich in Pesticides and Heavy Metals

An almost pure CBD strain could be handy to use in a blend with other strains to play with CBD/THC ratios for patients ? Easier than breeding out different % ratio variants of strains you like, at least till you have worked out what you need

Pollen blocking intake filters are going to be news soon :)

Avinash.miles

Caregiver Extraordinaire
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Take care, as I have heard that a lot of the CBD on offer cheap is made from Chinese Hemp rich in Pesticides and Heavy Metals

An almost pure CBD strain could be handy to use in a blend with other strains to play with CBD/THC ratios for patients ? Easier than breeding out different % ratio variants of strains you like, at least till you have worked out what you need

Pollen blocking intake filters are going to be news soon :)

in my area there are many hemp farmers
but most (nearly all) grow all female plants, CBD rich, no males

in colorado there is no market at all for the chinese crap, instead the market is over run with colorado hemp derived CBD concentrates

ChaosCatalunya

5.2 club is now 8.1 club...
Veteran
in my area there are many hemp farmers
but most (nearly all) grow all female plants, CBD rich, no males

in colorado there is no market at all for the chinese crap, instead the market is over run with colorado hemp derived CBD concentrates

You have developed high CBD Feminised Hemp strains there ?

Good to hear the Chinese stuff got run out of town, I heard stories of seriously contaminated Hemp sourced product from there

MJPassion

Observer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
there are LOTS of CBD / THC balanced strains available in colorado now; started with harlequin, then loads of cannatonic crosses came around - my fav being cannatonic x sour tsunami, right now i have the remedy x good medicine for my balanced strain
but
with the growing popularity of hemp derived CBD concentrates (isolated in crystal form even)... i don't know how much longer i will continue with CBD/THC balanced strains. if CBD concentrates are widely available i think i would prefer to supplement CBD when needed and keep my ganja grow for all THC dominant strains.

I'm considering doing hemp for CBD crop this coming season... biggest obstacle seems like sourcing reliable seed stock and clones (and working the land of course, damn i need a tractor, or a friend with a tractor).

really excited that ICMAG has a hemp forum now, looking forward to what materializes in here

Chimney Rock has hemp seed available. They're located near Pagosa Springs. Hit 'em up on IG.

Avinash.miles

Caregiver Extraordinaire
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Chimney Rock has hemp seed available. They're located near Pagosa Springs. Hit 'em up on IG.

lots and lots of people selling hemp seeds, fem even
problem is getting something 15-20%+ CBD consistently that never will give a single plant over 0.3% THC

KGB47

"It's just a flesh wound"
Veteran
The Critical Mass CBD is a wonderful strain and it can run as high as

12% THC
14% CBD

lots and lots of people selling hemp seeds, fem even
problem is getting something 15-20%+ CBD consistently that never will give a single plant over 0.3% THC

Getting 15-20% of anything--CBD, THC, or any other cannabinoid--consistently in seed form is a holy grail project...very tough to do, and cannabinoid content within lines is normally distributed. Testing protocol is often just as important as CBD to THC ratio after you have consistent 20:1+ lines.

Douglas.Curtis

So, what does it take to make 10,000 of those clone pills? You know, the ones where a tiny bit of mother plant material is put in a pill form, which sprouts a clone of the original? I forget what the process/product is called, haven't seen it for a while.

Seems like it would be the best route for getting exactly what you want. At least until legislation drops and all this retentiveness about .03% THC goes away.

ubi

I think I'm gonna go for it this year, gotta talk to a good lawyer about zoning, clones no problem, seeds still kinda worry me about a possible thc variations. Seeds will be seeds����

hellfire

There are quite a few hemp varieties available in Colorado but many reach above .3% after fully finishing. There are some you have to pull early to avoid going hot. Also many of the cherry/wife/spectrum etc varieties take 10 weeks to finish which is not possible in many areas of the country and CO.

The Web was stolen, the Stanleys did not make it. There are better genetics around.

I'll say it one more time: the 0.3% THC requirement is all about sampling protocol in your state. Oregon samples 30 days before harvest and you only have to pass that test to be considered "hemp". We can legally grow 20% CBD lines here if we test early. Check your local laws.

We work with farmers in many states and have lines that finish right at 0.3% and some that finish a little over, but with very high overall content. Nothing ever over 1%, which, if you are looped into the current federal policy discussions, is where this market is headed.

Douglas.Curtis: you are talking about synthetic seeds, right? Here's the UMiss paper on that with cannabis:

http://dx.doi.org.secure.sci-hub.io/10.1007/s12298-009-0008-8

guest of late

this has me thinking about the nebraska and kansas ditch weed feilds. ive always wanted to hunt through some feilds to find a wild auto flower gene thats been acclimated.

ive always thought about the cbd content. afew years back i was reading about crossing hemp to cannabis sativa and if i rember correctly the general conclusion seemed to be that the hemp gene dominated the gene poll for a afew generations befor the thc content would increase.

i cant say i know much about hemp. Does any one know the diffrences between feral hemp and industrial hemp?

why dont people in need of high cbd herb just smoke hemp?

ive been think of the medicinal values in gene pools that have been writen up as garbage because they werent potent high thc plants but still had a great terpin profile especially compared to strains like charlotte's web that use a hemp cross as the source of cbd.