What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Removing fan leaves question

Mrgstack

I'm in the 4th of flower and I got a Scrog going on. Well it's a newbie Scrog to say the least. I didn't quite come out with an even canopy. So my question is would it be ok to remove some of the fan leaves to allow more light to shine on the shorter bud sites. Or would this cause to much stress to my plants. Appreciate all comments and advice

corky1968

Veteran
I have removed fan leaves in the past.

Do know that the lowest branches normally don't yield
much anyways. If you do remove some don't take to many.

MicroRoy

Wait until it starts to stretch with the stems tied down. The buds should poke up past the fan leaves.

You might decide to leave them. At least until they start to yellow.

BOMBAYCAT

Veteran
Fan leaves are little food factories for the plant. It is ok to remove the leafs that shade some other lower down leafs, or are over 50% yellow but don't go crazy pulling leafs off. Like Corky says, the lower branches are a waste of time and they shelter insects and disease so off with the lower branches.

HippieLettuce

I may pull a few if the canopy is very dense but light passes thru the leaves at a decent percentage. I'd recommend, ensuring that the lowest bud sites are still within the sweet spot of distance from the bulb and you should be fine. Even though it may not seem very bright because of the shadows lumens are getting down there. Lollipopping will assist in pushing growth up closer to the light source.

Get rid of them. It will only make things better :)
Been growing since 97 and tried everything. Defoliation helps up yield and bud quality on most indoor strains. Not on lanky sativas, they need em usually but just about everything else benefits. Tucking just makes the plants feel crowed so they won't want to plump up as much, plus there is no point in having any leaves that are not getting good light. Light +leaves will grow plants. Leaves alone =nothing happening. Pull whatever you want fan leaf wise and don't have any fears or concerns. They won't go into shock or slow down, but the growth rate will increase when the flowers have direct access to their energy source. Have fun!

chronosync

Well-stoned member
I believe if your plant is healthy and not under any other kind of stress removing o/o10-20 should be fine. The question is, will removing leaves open up productive bud sites?

What I've done before for maximum canopy is to branch a plant out LST, remove the bottom 3rd of the small stuff and l later on remove any leaves that are shading anything that looks like might grow into something I'd smoke.

Nothing like in that video, that's extreme. Wow!

I should mention on stuff like so Cal master kush, LA con or Bubba, every fan leaf gets pulled at various stages of growth. Ogs get the majority pulled but a few a left. Stuff like green Crack gets almost all pulled. Blue dream I leave most and only pull one if it's huge and blocking some good buds, or potential buds.

Some people call them shade leaves. Indoor plants don't need the protection they offer to outdoor plants. The buds need direct light. Most of the time when people defoliate during week 3-4or after there will be holes in the canopy and it won't seem full. This is because it's not! It's good news though because it means next time defoliate and fill it with only buds and prepare to impress yourself :)

I just watched the video in the link. Yeah that's the way to do it with so many cultivars. To quote a close friend of mine "there's no money in growing leaves"

chronosync

Well-stoned member
I'm liking where this is going, especially since I just "defoliated" some plants a little by spraying them with something they didn't like too much.

One way to do it is to pack plants/branches tight enough so that you have to defoliated and prune some just so it all fits, that's kind of what I'm attempting now.

CoCoSativas

I dont grow scrog and tend to grow large upright sativas but i only pluck a few off the top if they shade the rest of the plant but dope plants have them for a reason and ise them to gather energy for the plant.

Maybe this explains why i have no problem with quality but my uield is never 1g/w ever. Sometimes close buti dont do alot of these hogh yield techniques in davor of letting them do what they want grow naturally because they are how they are for a reason.

I dont like howdefoliated plants look. Growing for me is a form of art to me so i like to see the plants in their natural shape in their best condition.

In scrog i wouldnt remove fans to me id leave them the buds are all a evencannopy its not like some of the big trees ive grown with buds 4 feet from the light with a bunch of narrow leaf fans in the middle. I guess with my sativas they ket the light through pretty well but if those lowers can form alright buds a bunch on a net should have no need to have the fans removed haha thats some serious worry about light making it though a pretty short cannopy i wouldnt be worried.

I dont think i could do scrog. Looks neat and a art of its own but my thing is deffinitly letting them go natural
as possible.

So hard to go to bed. Makes me think of a recent comversation i had with a friend we both had a laugh at our difficulty getting to sleep. Busy beavers we are.

Im having a hard time resisting popping the glue x ogkb cookies i recoeved from a friend. Hes a good dude i hope hes well. I know hes around but busy. I wonder what those yield like. Theres 5 and they are regs so might find some neat stuff. Wouldnt make more because i dont think id make any beans with these kinds of varieties i prefer worked varieties but am interested to grow them and maybe pick a clone. Id be happy to dind a even mix of the two.

Ok im off to bed im tired as fuck i had a snack which was some tasty pepperoni pizza. I quite enjoyed that. Smoked a few fatass hits of pink kush im tired. The shits ok at best its satisfactory but i dont love it. Soon ill have my own again.

Ive put in some serious thought. I dont really want to sell smaller than oz and maybe halfs but i think i should just try to sell oz. I want more than city price because i put so much work into my plants with daily love and care only small batch growing can provide. I put in all the effort but as im getting paid for 2 jobs i shoukdnt get greedy. Its tough because at the same time if i sell to low its suspicious people want to know how i can sell such good dope so cheap. I could stick to selling to family and friends but i might take on a few new customers as well. So many choices and im so tired. I have the munchies and want a spoon of icecream before i go to beush my teeth and go to sleep. Polish your fangs people that shits important. Yucky teeth are gross lets face it oral hygiene is more important than many realize until their teeth be falling out their face and breaking and shit.

Have a good one guys haha im off to bed for real

N

noyd666

I remove fans every day If I see them shading or just to thick, been defoliating for ten or more years, no problems more air flow more light. hope dr fever's not reading this lol. some times I will take a bucket of leaves off a day. these are close to chopping down n plenty of leaves still there.
picture.php

maimunji

Can't see big difference in veg. I defoliate all leaves before week and leave plants on skeleton now I can't see where I defoliate. Maybe in flowering is different.
Thats conopy level one week after all plants is leave on there sceleton.

Hey!
I also tried a scrog and coco for the first time this last indoor-season, about to harvest in a week.

as for defoliation: i usually like to remove leaves to improve airmovement, and i think that in a scrog its really important to get that air moving around those thick buds.

BUT! Be careful! what kind of genetics are you growing? I grew a jamaican x thai and it hermied bigtime after a removed some fanleaves 20 days into flowering. Thai's are infamous for turning herm for the slightest stress, most sativas are.