What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

SSSDH & ECSDH issues???

MountainBudz

⛽🦨 Kinebud and Heirloom Preservationist! 🦨 ⛽
A little over a week ago, I had to chop an ECSDH hermie that was forming clusters everywhere. I had another ECSDH with a couple balls, cut those off and none have came back...

Tonight, during feeding when I pulled out one of the SSSDH's I noticed another ball (no big deal since I know the chem and diesel lines are prone to hermie...) Then, noticed another... Then on the center of the plant, there were 3 balls nearly opened up... I immediately cut them off as well...

Had to walk out of the flower room for a minute because I am in fear of my entire crop getting pollinated now... When I return I will continue searching her and the rest of the SSSDH's... I do not care to pluck a few pods now and then but who knows how many have already opened and I have not noticed them yet.

-Is this normal of this strain? And is the pollen usually viable?

I am not a breeder and never really messed with pollen specifically, but have seeded some buds outdoor to get some extra seed... Can you see the pollen? I sliced open the balls and did see cluster of banana looking things but no yellow or powdery looking substance?

God how I want those SSSDH and ECSDH to finish up so f'n bad!!! I have always looked forward to smoking and growing them but if this continues I will have to cull them all for the sake of my crop... A seed here and there is no worry to me but buds full of seeds is a different story.

My grow is dialed in... I have however noticed one other ball on a FMS C99 about a week ago... I cut it off and have not seen any since.

Please someone start throwing me some suggestions here, I am in 26 days flower currently... This worries me in circles! :comfort:

PS: Please no one come bashing me... I am not trying to start trouble, obviously. I just do not know these genetics well and need suggestions... I am NOT saying this is OJD's fault... Period.

MountainBudz

⛽🦨 Kinebud and Heirloom Preservationist! 🦨 ⛽
Upon further inspection, more nanner's were found... most were tucked in between the bud and the stem and were virtually invisible unless your literally looking for them. Some of the balls were half way open (nanner's poking out)... misted the entire plant with water, the entire grow, tent and every inch with a fine mist several times after removing the parts...

I just hate it, but i'm really considering to get rid of this one too... its a heart breaker. I shut off my oscilating fan as well so no pollen gets blown around until I make a decision...

Now lets say I decide to keep it, and it continues doing what its doing and I miss a bunch or a few nanner's here and there, what kind of crop damage am I looking at? Am I looking at buds full of seeds or just a random seed here and there? For all I know the damage has already been done... I have noticed very few orange pistils on a couple neighboring plants but mostly on the little single calyx's that is at base of the each flower node or sight.... i'm pretty sure that is a sign of pollination?

Robney

Hope the balls stay away man! I'm about to flower some of the ECSDxSSSDH, I'll let you know if I run into the same problem!

I have an ISS (next gen not federation) from feminized seeds that produces some bananas here and there, if it is stressed, but is completely sterile, I hope your plants are similarly sterile if you got naners poppin up!

lawlrus

Last run I had 5 or 6 different CSG strains and had nanners on 3 or 4 of them...granted, I pushed them long, 12+ weeks, and I didn't see any seeds for what it's worth. I think the Sour Diesel lineage might contribute to the late flowering nanners you see.

edit- sorry, to clarify, all of the CSG strains shared either the SSSDH father or the Casey Jones mom, but the ones that gave me trouble in that regard all had the SSSDH in common.

Last edited:
I haven't grown out a ton of direct chem crosses, but I've run a few more than a few, and have often found that the lower branches can grow these stealthy banana filled sacs, right between the main stem, and the node junction - about week three when buds are forming. I typically clean up the bottoms, after the stretch, so I start finding them and snipping any I find. I have found that the pollen is somewhat viable. If I missed a few, it hasn't created more than a few seeds on lower branches. I don't know if any of that is useful, but good luck with your grow, they look nice from your link.

JVault

I remember this happening when i tested the SSSDH x GSC a while ago. Heres what OJD posted about it.

i would like to talk about an issue that happens with feminized seeds

i cant tell you why it happens ive just seen it over the years with mine and others companies feminized seeds

when you come to age of sexing your plants feminized seeds can first show male preflowers on the main tips of growing shoots
sometimes its 1 shoot sometimes its all the shoots(these are pre flowers)
but what ive expierienced is that with in a week they start to throw female pistils and stop producing male preflowers with in a few weeks you will forget about it because it becomes 100% female with no male parts to be found anywhere(the only male parts will be the pre floewers) that have disapeard by the huge nugs that have grown over them

i know this sounds strange but so are feminized seeds

the male parts that show when first sexing do not have enough time to produce a proper male flower or enough time to open so i never pick them off incase it causes stress

ive never had seeds from 1 of these plants

i am only talking about pre flower male parts, not normal hermi's

if male parts show up any other time in flower they are a standard hermi and you do whatver you got to do whether its pick balls of or just throw to the trash

i would like to show a picture of a said plant that started of with male pre flowers and is fully female now and in the flush as we speak
the plant is new york city jones x GS Cookies

hope this helps you guys from throwing away good plants

peace

Robney

Hell yeah carestaker! I've got a pretty similar pheno but the leaves do not run as dark as yours! a real nice haze with a short flower time for hazes. So far I have not encountered a diesel pheno bit we'll see with my next plant! Enjoy that smoke man, i bet it's real nice

ojd

CONNOISSEUR GENETICS
Vendor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Hey mountain buds sorry to hear you have found nanners
Were they sterile or did you get seeds

Hey caretaker looking real tasty
Thanks for posting pics
Peace

Last edited:

ojd

CONNOISSEUR GENETICS
Vendor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
thanks bro

again very nice work there Carestaker

peace

Picarus

IME pollen sac hermis will seed while random male parts coming out of the bud will be mostly sterile. I usually clone and run again just to be sure. Sometimes the trait seems to disappear from the clones. Those cases have been with one random sac here or there but it sounds like you had a plethora and I fear running again would only waste more of your time. Only commit one plant to testing until its fully passed protocol.

ojd

CONNOISSEUR GENETICS
Vendor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
this usually only occurs on the seed plant and not on the clone run

otherwise it is a hermi if it repeats the problem on clone run

peace

R

Rubber Chicken

The genetics of this are actually 'ECSD Bx1'?

Or a little different?

Robney

Yeah it is a kinda ecsd bx, but I don't go in expecting to find something close to ecsd, all I found were haze type plants, they had nice kick and some sour flavors, but nothing too close to what I consider ecsd

BigPhil

Veteran
About 6 weeks ago. I had 4 cheese dog haze out of 5 show male flowers when 1st showing signs of sex.