What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Fish Hydrolysate (not fish emulsion)

wasgedn

damn so much of this kind of sites have not proper set up , so you cant acces them with out making exception in browser....
when hitting direct address it will work sometimes but when follow above link , not.
so here the recipe
from ridgedalepermaculture.com (Swedish)
How to make it;

1. Get some fish, you might as well use fish discards like fish heads, guts, etc. We use whole fish as there are naturally wider range of nutrients present.

2. Cut fish into chunks then either blend or run through a meat mincer. The finer the fish bits, the more effective the fermentation.

3. Add water. We're adding 3 parts water to 1 part ferment material. (1litre fish mince: 3 litre water)

4. Add 3:1 Fish: Sugar. Sugarcane molasses or Raw (unrefined/ unbleached) sugar is good.

5.Add lacto bacilli to blended fish mixture. Approx. 2tbsp per L. We used liquid from a Lacto ferment, eg, Kimchi/ Sauerkraut.

6. Now you have liquefied fish, sugar, and lacto. Pour this mixture into a container to ferment. Cover with a cloth/ mesh to stop insects, etc. The process takes anywhere from 2 weeks to over a month. You know its finished by the smell. During fermentation there is a pungent smell, but once completed there should be little more than a faint vinegar smell.

7. Transfer it to a smaller container.

How to use;

Mix 0.5tbsp/litre for applications.

Plants
· Use as a soil drench as opposed to foliar spray.
· Inoculate compost to boost fungal population.
· Use in compost teas to boost fungal growth, add Nitrogen. Use at ¼ strength for this application
· Mix in water when watering plants, as a natural fish fertilizer and to enhance populations of micro-organisms in the soil

Animals
· Mix with water for an effective protein/lacto boost for your animals. They'll love or hate it

Boyd Crowder

Teem MiCr0B35
damn so much of this kind of sites have not proper set up , so you cant acces them with out making exception in browser....
when hitting direct address it will work sometimes but when follow above link , not.
so here the recipe
from ridgedalepermaculture.com (Swedish)
How to make it;

1. Get some fish, you might as well use fish discards like fish heads, guts, etc. We use whole fish as there are naturally wider range of nutrients present.

2. Cut fish into chunks then either blend or run through a meat mincer. The finer the fish bits, the more effective the fermentation.

3. Add water. We're adding 3 parts water to 1 part ferment material. (1litre fish mince: 3 litre water)

4. Add 3:1 Fish: Sugar. Sugarcane molasses or Raw (unrefined/ unbleached) sugar is good.

5.Add lacto bacilli to blended fish mixture. Approx. 2tbsp per L. We used liquid from a Lacto ferment, eg, Kimchi/ Sauerkraut.

6. Now you have liquefied fish, sugar, and lacto. Pour this mixture into a container to ferment. Cover with a cloth/ mesh to stop insects, etc. The process takes anywhere from 2 weeks to over a month. You know its finished by the smell. During fermentation there is a pungent smell, but once completed there should be little more than a faint vinegar smell.

7. Transfer it to a smaller container.

How to use;

Mix 0.5tbsp/litre for applications.

Plants
· Use as a soil drench as opposed to foliar spray.
· Inoculate compost to boost fungal population.
· Use in compost teas to boost fungal growth, add Nitrogen. Use at ¼ strength for this application
· Mix in water when watering plants, as a natural fish fertilizer and to enhance populations of micro-organisms in the soil

Animals
· Mix with water for an effective protein/lacto boost for your animals. They'll love or hate it

well shit , thats pretty straightforward wasup thanks

growingcrazy

You are going to still smell fish...

The larger the scale the quicker the fermentation times also... I like to make this in the fall and let it ferment all winter for use over the summer. The longer the better.

growingcrazy

I have yet to find a fish product that doesn't smell like fish in some way.

When I apply it to our fields it smells like your on a boat in the middle of a lake...

Mate Dave

Propagator
ICMag Donor
Veteran
What fish Hydrolysate? Blue fin tuna is a really good quality one, Krill & salmon also are mass produced & have all the L amino acids. I pay about £140 for a 25 litre barrel. Some have different levels of Chitin & more nitrogen than others..

growingcrazy

Ok so in some way seems that is normal if smell like fish.
I am asking you about that because i read that the smell should go away when ready.

What about ur temperature ?

The barrels sit at 56-60 in a barn basement all winter.

Do they smell less when done, yes.

During fermentation is also a good time to get some amendments pre-digested by the enzyme activity. I like to screen at 100 microns if going into any type of irrigation or 200 microns otherwise. Throw what is left over back in for the next batch.

Testing with trial and error in your place is your best way to learn what works.

farmerlion

Microbial Repositories
Mentor
Veteran
I have a fish cleaning station close by. All fresh caught fresh water fish get cleaned there by locals. It gets ground up and flushed into a cystern. The corps of engineers pump it out in the fall. I'm sure I could have what I want from them. One 55 gallon drum full should cover me for the whole season. I get my water close by the same place. Some worms, extra worm castings remixed in the soil and I should be good.
Very informative thread guys. Thank you for the sharing. Peace

Latest posts

Latest posts