What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Why industrial hemp has become illegal worldwide?

Marco Vallet

Hi there,
I am reading Jack Herer's most famous book and I don't understand why industrial hemp has become illegal. If industrial hemp doesn't have much Thc why has been considered as drug and banned under the marijuana tax act? In the book there is an exchange of words with the highest ranking officer in the U.S. department of agriculture, that says that marijuana is illegal. Was impossible to cultivate hemp with no Thc? For example now in Italy is sold Hemp with Thc inferior to 0,3 %. Thanks

Thc has nothing to do with the healing properties.

Sorry all you low level conspiracy theorists, but the paper industry ain't half as evil as the pharma industry.

HomegrownJerome

Canada sux too. Farmers gotta buy new seed from approved Government sources every crop & can not save beans for next season. Demon THC might ruin the crop...SMH.

Gry

Hi there,
I am reading Jack Herer's most famous book and I don't understand why industrial hemp has become illegal. If industrial hemp doesn't have much Thc why has been considered as drug and banned under the marijuana tax act? In the book there is an exchange of words with the highest ranking officer in the U.S. department of agriculture, that says that marijuana is illegal. Was impossible to cultivate hemp with no Thc? For example now in Italy is sold Hemp with Thc inferior to 0,3 %. Thanks
Wonderful book, is it not ?
Would think the reasons are many, greed, human nature, big pharma ...
The strain named after the author was a most worthwhile tribute.

flylowgethigh

Non-growing Lurker
ICMag Donor
Just like pot competes (actually replaces) the Medical Industrial Complex, so they made it illegal also.

armedoldhippy

Veteran
Tennessee's hemp experiments are going down the tubes. had several acquaintances growing it the past two years legally. they are all dropping out over goalposts being moved. feds WERE only counting delta-9 thc as the content they measured for legality at .03%. now, they are going to count delta-9 AND thc-a combined, and i am told that there are no seeds available that will meet that number. saw crops rotting in the field this year, rescued some of it for personal use. most tasted like fruit, very nice.

Gry

How old is that book? I don't recall such a time.

The Emperor Wears No Clothes is a non-fiction book written by Jack Herer. Starting in 1973, the story begins when Herer takes the advice of his friend, "Captain" Ed Adair, and begins compiling tidbits of information about the Cannabis plant and its numerous uses,[SUP][1][/SUP] including as hemp and as a drug. After a dozen years of collecting and compiling historical data, Herer first published his work as The Emperor Wears No Clothes, in 1985.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Emperor_Wears_No_Clothes

Captain Ed had a head shop, called Captain Ed's, that is still open,
and run by his son. Neat place, that still has the feel of a
shop of that era.

Three Berries

It was grown around Illinois until the 60s. Illinois Green we called it. Grew 15 ft high in some places. Good for a sore throat. They cleared a big ditch out a few years ago stripping all the vegetation out. The whole thing came up in hemp after about two weeks.

The county had a Barney Fife type who's job was dangerous weed eradication.