What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Ethiopian sativa

xtsho

Maybe some terpenes lost or converted to others? I know when I like the sweetness in some strains after about a month it will disappear a good amount. That bright feeling goes down a bit

Terpenes degrade over time so you're always going to get the most profound terpene expression with fresh weed. The longer you cure weed the more terpene degradation is going to occur. That's just a scientific fact.

xtsho

Yes but what about the 6month cures on the longer sativas that become much stronger around then?

I've never noticed weed getting stronger after 6 months. After 6 months I find the quality significantly less than when it's fresh. That's just my personal preference. I like the bold flavors you get from fresh weed. Some like to let it cure and mellow out. Each should smoke their weed when they like it the most. Peoples tastes are different. Some people don't like heavily hopped IPA's but that's all I drink when it comes to beer.

:canabis:

Sensistar42

I've never noticed weed getting stronger after 6 months. After 6 months I find the quality significantly less than when it's fresh. That's just my personal preference. I like the bold flavors you get from fresh weed. Some like to let it cure and mellow out. Each should smoke their weed when they like it the most. Peoples tastes are different. Some people don't like heavily hopped IPA's but that's all I drink when it comes to beer.

:canabis:
Everyone on the ace board talk about how the golden tiger etc. gets much stronger as it cures for 6 months. Especially haze 🤷‍♂️

xtsho

If I'm reading this study correctly, monoterpenes degrade at a faster rate than sesquiterpenes during curing, resulting in a higher ratio of sesquiterpenes to monoterpenes in cured flower vs uncured.

https://www.ganjapreneur.com/researchers-reveal-how-curing-cannabis-affects-terpene-levels/

And that's the reason I prefer fresh weed.

"Findings show that at the fresh, planted state, a cultivar has the highest expression of monoterpenes like Beta Myrcene, Alpha Pinene, Beta Pinene, and Limonene. After one week of drying and curing, each of these terpenes decreased significantly — Beta Myrcene content decreased by 55%."

And that's the reason I prefer fresh weed.

"Findings show that at the fresh, planted state, a cultivar has the highest expression of monoterpenes like Beta Myrcene, Alpha Pinene, Beta Pinene, and Limonene. After one week of drying and curing, each of these terpenes decreased significantly — Beta Myrcene content decreased by 55%."
Right, but the flip side of that would be if someone wanted to alter the terpene profile of some fresh weed to increase the ratio of sesquiterpenes such as caryophyllene or nerolidol to monoterpenes such as myrcene.

nick11

Veteran
Smoke it while it's fresh. That's when it's the best. I know I'm in the minority but I don't cure my weed. I dry it and smoke it. That's how I like it.

When you say you did a sad job of growing it I'm assuming it was likely due to overfeeding which is easy to do. Ethiopian doesn't need much at all. I learned that the first time I grew it as well. The second run was so much better though as I fed them barely anything and they thrived.

Enjoy the Ethiopian when you do get around to trying it. It's a very good smoke. :smokeit:
I thought I was the only person that does this. I start smoking the second buds are dry, and taste and smell are so much more pronounced. Of course it's more refined with a cure, but loses that LOUD factor after a couple months imo.

EnjoyingLife

The starting point is very light happy euphoric motivational feeling. Not that potent but really pleasant feeling.
After a cure it seemed to become more introspective, still a nice high but the other feelings toned down. Weirdly after a really long cure (a year or so) the initial feelings ramped up again, but still not as good as fresh imo.
Whatever the case I personally liked the fresh high more, but others may differ. People should try both and see how they feel.
I agree with the first two sentences 100%.
There were times I was thinking that it could be stronger but realised it really was just me enjoying the effects and who can't say if they enjoy something stronger isn't better?
It was pretty light but still very enjoyable! There really wasn't a time I couldn't tell I was high during the duration of effect.
Freezing it may take place, ofc I'll keep some to the side for curing so I can decide which I like more.
The buds were very foxtailed and are very dry(my dry and cure technique needs work. I also could have checked more frequently lol). They don't turn to powder when processed for smoking a bowl but they are probably over dry.
I'm curious as to how you think they'll hold up in the freezer.

Chi13

ICMag Donor
I agree with the first two sentences 100%.
There were times I was thinking that it could be stronger but realised it really was just me enjoying the effects and who can't say if they enjoy something stronger isn't better?
It was pretty light but still very enjoyable! There really wasn't a time I couldn't tell I was high during the duration of effect.
Freezing it may take place, ofc I'll keep some to the side for curing so I can decide which I like more.
The buds were very foxtailed and are very dry(my dry and cure technique needs work. I also could have checked more frequently lol). They don't turn to powder when processed for smoking a bowl but they are probably over dry.
I'm curious as to how you think they'll hold up in the freezer.
I'm just guessing about the freezer. I assume it will slow down or halt the curing process.

Just on the cure/no cure debate, I generally think a lot of sativa's improve with a cure, but not the Ethiopian. Cannabis is extremely complex; effects individuals differently and we all have our preferences. It pays to experiment both with harvest times and cures.

For me the Ethiopian was a real day brightener. You don't get many varieties like that anymore.

Sensistar42

I'm just guessing about the freezer. I assume it will slow down or halt the curing process.

Just on the cure/no cure debate, I generally think a lot of sativa's improve with a cure, but not the Ethiopian. Cannabis is extremely complex; effects individuals differently and we all have our preferences. It pays to experiment both with harvest times and cures.

For me the Ethiopian was a real day brightener. You don't get many varieties like that anymore.
I’ll have to keep an eye on the cure when I’m done with this one. Normally I’ll chop test a upper bud in the first week, then vacuum seal the uppers in their own separate jars for a couple months and I’ll go through the Larry/less done buds until it’s time to go to the tops/uppers.

EnjoyingLife

I was more concerned with the flower being unusable as it dry process wasn't great and I think the freezer desiccates things with time. I know the fridge does.

From what I've read this seems to be general consensus(sativas being better after a cure). I think I'm going to start doing exactly that though, experimenting with harvest times, curing etc as this sounds like I can dial in a strain.

The Ethiopian is without a question a day brightener and while there are other uplifting herbs I'd say this holds a place of it's own.

In my opinion, it's more useful to think in terms of chemotype (ratios of terpenes and cannabinoids) rather than phenotype (sativa vs indica). What is the chemotype of the starting material (the uncured flower) and what is the desired chemotype? I think the question of whether or not to cure depends on those two questions.

I think the main thing that sets Ethiopian apart from other strains, apart from its high THCV content, is its high pinene content.

https://www.aceseeds.org/wp-content/uploads/2024/01/Etiope15terpenos.jpg

Pinene is a monoterpene, so curing Ethiopian flower will decrease the pinene content. You might not want to do that if pinene is one of the main things you like about Ethiopian. On the other hand, curing will also increase the ratio of caryophyllene to the monoterpenes (since it's a sesquiterpene), so maybe that's a trade-off you're willing to make or maybe you really like caryophyllene or whatever. Or maybe you really want to lower the myrcene content in which case curing it will achieve that.

EnjoyingLife

In my opinion, it's more useful to think in terms of chemotype (ratios of terpenes and cannabinoids) rather than phenotype (sativa vs indica). What is the chemotype of the starting material (the uncured flower) and what is the desired chemotype? I think the question of whether or not to cure depends on those two questions.

I think the main thing that sets Ethiopian apart from other strains, apart from its high THCV content, is its high pinene content.

https://www.aceseeds.org/wp-content/uploads/2024/01/Etiope15terpenos.jpg

Pinene is a monoterpene, so curing Ethiopian flower will decrease the pinene content. You might not want to do that if pinene is one of the main things you like about Ethiopian. On the other hand, curing will also increase the ratio of caryophyllene to the monoterpenes (since it's a sesquiterpene), so maybe that's a trade-off you're willing to make or maybe you really like caryophyllene or whatever. Or maybe you really want to lower the myrcene content in which case curing it will achieve that.
Piney strains seem good for me. So I'd say that I want to keep it. However, this is based on street weed so I can't even begin to tell you how it was processed.
Citrus terps seem good for me too. I have more experience with lemon tasting and smelling herbs but I have come across a couple lime tasting and smelling ones that are super nice. I'm pretty sure limonene is the terp responsible here but am not sure.
I haven't experienced a tangerine or orange tasting or smelling herb so I can't say if they help me.
This Ethiopian plant is definitely high in pinene, the dominant taste was pine and it lasted. Followed by a woodiness.
Looking at the link you provided I'd say terpeneoline plays a role also as I like it a lot!
I'd say it had thcv also as I have a 3:1 thcv:thc vape and it seemed there was a definite thcv presence but my body\mind seems to prefer a higher thc content than thcv.

dubi

ACE Seeds Breeder
Vendor
Veteran
The maui wowie cart is very bubblegum\sweet so maybe they're good for me too.
But its really hard to know what's in the carts these days. I'm pretty sure this one uses botanical terps =\
I've been wondering if companies are starting to use the thc from the cbd market. I've seen companies boasting delta 9 (not 8, I've seen both) thc from hemp plants so I'm guessing it's either the plant getting to much thc for the cbd market or it's left over when they pull out all of the cannabinoids and terps. I could just overthink things...

This part is also for @xtsho
I decided to try the Ethiopian I grew last night. The grow conditions were poor and my dry\cure technique severely lacks.
However, this is some enjoyable herb.
Smell wise the lime is still there but there's a definite pine coming through and when I stick my nose in the jar while taking a slow deep breath my nose gets a cooling sensation that has a tingly aspect to it. Mint or eucalyptus come to mind here.
Taste, it's hard to tell as I mostly vape and smoking is quite different but woody and pine, pine without question as that's what lingered.
Effect, coffee like everyone has said fits exactly but for me it's cleaner\clearer and without the jitters that can sometimes come with coffee. Coffee can also make me irritable which this did not and my thoughts get erratic\unorganised (probs what makes me irritable as it's to much stimulation).
This was very up. I could concentrate a lot better. The body felt active and without or much less inflamed. Mood elevation. Centered.
There was a spiritual aspect that came later that I wish I could have paid better attention to but I had already started playing video games. What I remember of it is that I saw and felt a flash of bright white light that started right below my sternum and went through out my body but mostly focused in the midline up and down.
It had a slight mushroom feel to it in the sense of the glow that can come with them and while weed can make you laugh and this did I have a strong memory of taking mushies and my mom asking what was going on when I had been staring in the fridge for 10 mins just laughing. This had that type of laugh, feel going on while at the same time there were bouts of what was clearly the weed laugh.
So thanks to xtsho for giving me the needed push to try it sooner than I would have.

Thank you so much for ther positive feedback on the Ethiopian @EnjoyingLife :giggle:
Glad to hear you are enjoying with her effects and that you find her as described :yes:

dubi

ACE Seeds Breeder
Vendor
Veteran
How much variation are folks seeing in this line? Like are there many different phenotypes or are they all pretty similar?

I'm planning to grow some Ethiopian later this year but realistically will only have room to flower two plants at a time...wondering if I can just keep the first two females I see or if I should save some for a later round...

Welcome to ICMag @weedsmoker420 and thanks for your interest in this pure sativa line. Line was quite uniform as i received it, without divergent phenotypes, only more or less desirable plants within a similar phenotype, and the best ones for terpenes, effects and lab results were selected and reproduced for the Ethiopian release people has been growing from us since 2016
Unfortunately at that time, our local lab couldn't detect THCV, but many customers (especially from USA) who grew Ethiopian and its hybrids found THCV in their Ethiopian plants. Next generation and with lab assistance, i would like to analyze in detail all the different possible THC-THCV ratios in the line and hopefully find something interesting from it.

Sensistar42

Welcome to ICMag @weedsmoker420 and thanks for your interest in this pure sativa line. Line was quite uniform as i received it, without divergent phenotypes, only more or less desirable plants within a similar phenotype, and the best ones for terpenes, effects and lab results were selected and reproduced for the Ethiopian release people has been growing from us since 2016
Unfortunately at that time, our local lab couldn't detect THCV, but many customers (especially from USA) who grew Ethiopian and its hybrids found THCV in their Ethiopian plants. Next generation and with lab assistance, i would like to analyze in detail all the different possible THC-THCV ratios in the line and hopefully find something interesting from it.
Good to know that it is mostly uniform, in the past years you have been working with it. Any distinct phenos to look out for? Possibly different smells you’ve encountered but hasn’t been said in this thread? Or distinct male characteristics to look out for?
I was planning on popping more honduras and some ethiopian at the same time this spring and possibly doing a seed run of either or, depending on males that pop up.

Dreamy happy motivating coffee feels I would love to make in a cross 🥰

Good to know, thanks for the welcome @dubi

I'll try to post here once they start growing :)

EnjoyingLife

Thank you so much for ther positive feedback on the Ethiopian @EnjoyingLife :giggle:
Glad to hear you are enjoying with her effects and that you find her as described :yes:
The thought came to mind a few times of editing the message to give you props Dubi, but I was never by my phone when I thought of it...
Soooo
Thank you so much for keeping these genetics alive and figuring out how to spread them, it's quite an enjoyable herb!

dubi

ACE Seeds Breeder
Vendor
Veteran
Good to know that it is mostly uniform, in the past years you have been working with it. Any distinct phenos to look out for? Possibly different smells you’ve encountered but hasn’t been said in this thread? Or distinct male characteristics to look out for?
I was planning on popping more honduras and some ethiopian at the same time this spring and possibly doing a seed run of either or, depending on males that pop up.

Dreamy happy motivating coffee feels I would love to make in a cross 🥰
The best ones look like the plant in the first post of this thread: vigorous, well branched, high yielding, sexually stable. Best terpenes in the line: lemony, floral, piney, earthy. Most potent euphoric effects without ceiling, sedation, or heavy come down. Also, higher in cannabinoid and terpene content than her sisters and half sisters.

For male selection, depends on the breeding goal, but overall i would look for males that morphologically resemble more like the best female expressions previously described.

Latest posts

Latest posts