What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Extract Craft Source Turbo

Gray Wolf

A Posse ad Esse. From Possibility to realization.
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Ya'll brothers and sisters looking for support extracting or winterizing with ethanol, will be delighted with Extract Craft's recent offering of their Source Turbo, vacuum assisted ethanol recovery system.

It is a counter top vacuum assisted refluxing still, about the size of a blender, that uses vacuum to reduce the temperature necessary to boil away the ethanol, so as to preserve more of the monoterpenes, as well as reduce changes in their properties.

Hee, hee, hee, they sent us a unit to torture and our preliminary testing supports their enthusiasm. Eloquentsolution just happened to have several choices of winterized BHO handy, so we selected about 150 ml from a mixed flower extraction for the trial.

After wiping down the internal surfaces with 190 proof ethanol to remove any contamination, we filtered the winterized solution to be recovered, and poured it into the boiling cup, before setting the lid in place, and placing a pan of ice water on top.

We closed the vacuum valve and started the machine, and started the timer.

Because the machine may be operating at different altitudes, it is necessary to tell it what altitude it is at, by a series of button pushes, explained in detail in accompanying literature. I cleverly misread the destructions, so we ran the device the way it came out of the box, as opposed to optimizing conditions, but it worked anyway.

After marveling at how much watching a pot boil resembles watching grass grow, we retreated to the dabbing and philosophical discussion room and engaged in product testing while the Source Turbo did its thang.

At 1 hr:59 minutes, Eloquentsolution stopped the process, weighted the yield at 9.9 grams, and decanted it for later testing.

More experiments planned, but as for later testing, I'm pleased to report that my own personal anecdotal tests were positive. Still the light sweet taste of ethanol in this batch, and it is about the same consistency as our Clear extract, but as we didn't finish it off in a thin film, that is to be expected.

Two thoughts on the subject. The first is that at that level, ethanol is not insalubrious, and imparts a pleasant sweet taste, so some will choose to consume it in that state.

The second is that it is unwelcome at detectable levels, so added vacuum and heating is required. FDA sets limits for residual ethanol at 5000 ppm or 50 mg per day.

More at: https://skunkpharmresearch.com/extract-craft-source-turbo-ethanol-vacuum-recovery-unit/

Attachments

• Add chilled head-1.jpg
    Add chilled head-1.jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 67
  • Bubbles 2.jpg
    Bubbles 2.jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 71
  • Down to short strokes!.jpg
    Down to short strokes!.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 62
  • Harvest.jpg
    Harvest.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 68
  • Yield.jpg
    Yield.jpg
    33.4 KB · Views: 77

corky1968

Veteran
FDA sets limits for residual ethanol at 5000 ppm or 50 mg per day.

50 mg per day? I know you don't too much alcohol present. But it's not like mercury or something extremely toxic.

Like there's no FDA warning on a bottle of Vodka. Yet anyways. :biggrin:

Gray Wolf

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
50 mg per day? I know you don't too much alcohol present. But it's not like mercury or something extremely toxic.

Like there's no FDA warning on a bottle of Vodka. Yet anyways. :biggrin:

They don't limit to 50 mg per day because it's toxic at that level for sure.

unregistered190

Senior
Veteran
Hello All!
Anyone with recent experience good or bad with this product? It has been out long enough now to get some feedback I hope :tiphat:
Thanks In Advance 👊

Gray Wolf

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Thanks for posting this. Does the alcohol get pulled into a different chamber or something?

During recovery, a beaker sits under the chilled head and collects the alcohol as it condenses and drips off.

I used this for a couple weeks but it's a waste of money and am going to return it. Even the "Extract ETOH Pro" isn't worth the $2k they're asking, IMO. Just make a distiller for $100.

Gray Wolf

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I used this for a couple weeks but it's a waste of money and am going to return it. Even the "Extract ETOH Pro" isn't worth the $2k they're asking, IMO. Just make a distiller for $100.

Did you try the Source Turbo, or the ETOH Pro?

T

Tarus Bulbar

Thanks for all the good info! What is a good source of "ethanol" for this type of extraction?
(I live in Canada)

Could I not just use 99% isopropyl alcohol?

Thanks guys!

JRace

Thanks for all the good info! What is a good source of "ethanol" for this type of extraction?
(I live in Canada)

Thanks guys!

In Alberta liquor stores (and others Provinces, but not BC) you can get Everclear - 95% ethanol

unregistered190

Senior
Veteran

Curious why you didn't like it? I have the Turbo and am very happy with the product I can make using it.....saving up my $ for the ETOH Pro as it will save me valuable time by running larger batches vs more smaller ones.

picture.php

picture.php

ReikoX

Knight of the BlackSvn
(I live in Canada)

Thanks guys!

Pro tip: if you cant find 95% ethanol, you can distill it from 40% grain alcohol using the Source Turbo.

Dawn Patrol

Well this is some bullshit right here.....
Veteran
Has anybody tried using the Source Turbo with kief?

Curious what kind of end product that would produce.

ReikoX

Knight of the BlackSvn
Has anybody tried using the Source Turbo with kief?

Curious what kind of end product that would produce.

The Source Turbo is mainly a vacuum distiller. It actually doesn't do any extraction. So, anyone who has made QWET with kief will get similar results.

What it does do is lower the boiling point of the alcohol, allowing lower temps and better terpene preservation. It also allows you to reclaim about 95% of the alcohol used in the extraction. This pays for the machine in the long run IMO.

Dawn Patrol

Well this is some bullshit right here.....
Veteran
The Source Turbo is mainly a vacuum distiller. It actually doesn't do any extraction. So, anyone who has made QWET with kief will get similar results.

What it does do is lower the boiling point of the alcohol, allowing lower temps and better terpene preservation. It also allows you to reclaim about 95% of the alcohol used in the extraction. This pays for the machine in the long run IMO.

Thanks ReikoX, I pretty much knew that already, my fault for not asking a good question.

I guess what I'm interested to know is if anyone thinks distilled QWET with kief produces a better end product than distilled QWET with flower.

I've been experimenting with the the difference for tinctures, hoping I could make a more potent tincture with kief. Unfortunately I haven't been able to test and verify the results yet.

Gray Wolf

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Thanks ReikoX, I pretty much knew that already, my fault for not asking a good question.

I guess what I'm interested to know is if anyone thinks distilled QWET with kief produces a better end product than distilled QWET with flower.

I've been experimenting with the the difference for tinctures, hoping I could make a more potent tincture with kief. Unfortunately I haven't been able to test and verify the results yet.

You can make a marginally stronger tincture with kif, because you are not loading the alcohol with other constituents (like water) from the leaves, but you can also remove some of the alcohol with the Extract Craft to make it what ever end product potency you desire, up to 99.....%.