What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Limonene extraction of cannabis

TheArchitect

Veteran
sorry if this is already a topic, i searched and didn't see it.

Im interested in the use of limonene to extract cannabis resin, id like to use the same CLS types that are currently used for butane, in combination with a rotovape.

is anyone doing this? documenting it? sharing results/info?

I've seen the video with bubbleman and horatio talking about the basics, but id like to see a thread were we can discuss it in more detail.

I'm hoping this thread can start the discussion, i hate surfing through IG hoping to find nuggets of info, the forum is a far superior method to discuss these things.

I have long though about this since I first heard the name Horatio Delbert. Look him up on YouTube for some very detailed information on the process and just how well the Limonene works.

I don't know if CLS would be the way to go. For
What I've seen, the Limonene you can buy online is not pure enough. You need to steam distil that stuff to purify even more just so you can process your material with it. Now as for running the material itself. It is very similar to QWISO from the video I saw. It's just a quick wash

TheArchitect

Veteran
I have long though about this since I first heard the name Horatio Delbert. Look him up on YouTube for some very detailed information on the process and just how well the Limonene works.

I don't know if CLS would be the way to go. For
What I've seen, the Limonene you can buy online is not pure enough. You need to steam distil that stuff to purify even more just so you can process your material with it. Now as for running the material itself. It is very similar to QWISO from the video I saw. It's just a quick wash

my thoughts on the CLS were that they are built for liquid extraction, which limonene is.

you could pressurize a jacketed vessel, like we use for butane, with nitrogen, push the limonene up the column, again, like we do with butane, and then pull a vacuum on the collection pot and pressurize the column from the top to recover.

from there its just a matter of separation, but with the crystallization tech gaining traction, maybe you can proceed right to that, just throw it in the roto to get rid of most of the limonene, then let it crystalize.

I'm just spit-balling at this point, I'm just now getting my feet wet in the extraction game, and have yet to even assemble the components I've sourced. i can't find much good info, so I'm hoping this thread will get some attention, and we can collaborate as a community like we do for so many other things.

I have always been one for experimentation. I don't have a CLS but I do have a distillation kit that I can use to purify d-Limonene and make an attempt at the quick wash method. Make take me some time but it is an experiement I wanted to try before the end of the year.

If you happen to have a CLS, try it out! We could always do a side by side report and teach the masses a thing or two!

So I'm assuming one of two things from the lack of interest/response to Arch's post ....

1. Limonene use as a solvent is bullsheit
2. There's little respect for whatever Horatio Delbert is trying to push ....

when I looked into extracting with terps what became clear was that there is a limit to the concentration you can use before there are adverse effects. With terps like myrcene the data shows that you really shouldn't smoke it in high concentration and as far as limonene goes I understand that it becomes abusive, harmful and harsh in high concentrations so at best these terpenes are added as an afterthought to taylor make the flavor. Limonene as a solvent is just too intense and will burn the crap out of your throat and may even make you dizzy or worse. Good luck

FishmanK

my thoughts on the CLS were that they are built for liquid extraction, which limonene is.
you could pressurize a jacketed vessel, like we use for butane, with nitrogen, push the limonene up the column, again, like we do with butane, and then pull a vacuum on the collection pot and pressurize the column from the top to recover.
In CLS's The butane flows, it is not pushed as such and the design accomodates state changes from liquid to gas and back
if this is a simpler extraction then the complex system may not be needed.

when I looked into extracting with terps what became clear was that there is a limit to the concentration you can use before there are adverse effects. With terps like myrcene the data shows that you really shouldn't smoke it in high concentration and as far as limonene goes I understand that it becomes abusive, harmful and harsh in high concentrations so at best these terpenes are added as an afterthought to taylor make the flavor. Limonene as a solvent is just too intense and will burn the crap out of your throat and may even make you dizzy or worse. Good luck

A "typical" extraction only consists of 4-5% total terps made up of about (10) differnt varieties right ? Of course in most cases the dominant terp is Myrcene or Limonene but they only make up 1-2%.

Since they fall within such small measures ......... why not just add them back later instead of sweating out all these differnent processes to save them. It's like 28 drops of Myrcene per oz. of concentrate.

FishmanK

I think there are many that can be saved and only a few which are easy to add back
But in reading on this subject briefly from this post, some extractions have some limonene added back for a few different reasons including smell/flavor and medical benefits
but as you said, only small amounts
I don't get that limonene is that volatile and did see a few different statements about it being difficult to fully remove

Last edited:
I think with horatios limone extracts, he is extracting with limonene first before distillation, therefore the final product would contain zero limonene?

TheArchitect

Veteran
So I'm assuming one of two things from the lack of interest/response to Arch's post ....

1. Limonene use as a solvent is bullsheit
2. There's little respect for whatever Horatio Delbert is trying to push ....

this very well could be the case, but I've yet to find much more than the bubbleman videos on the subject. in theory it should work, but theory and practice often exist in difference.

absolutely, as with any solvent we are looking to purge it out completely.

In CLS's The butane flows, it is not pushed as such and the design accomodates state changes from liquid to gas and back
if this is a simpler extraction then the complex system may not be needed.

how does it flow? by being pushed with vapor pressure. now, when it comes to recovery there is a difference, but I was strictly speaking with regard to the actual extraction of resin from the plant material.

using a closed loop allows for cleaner, easier to control operations with no risk of glass breakage.

I think with horatios limone extracts, he is extracting with limonene first before distillation, therefore the final product would contain zero limonene?

correct, first step is identical to butane extraction, the solvent recovery is not as easy because their (limonene and thc) boiling points are much closer, but there are positives in that you don't have near the concern of explosive gases, it's "natural", and sustainable. id also hazard a guess that the overall cost of meeting the regulatory burden would be significantly less.

FishmanK

so its my understanding that the terps are whats corrosive and why the closed loop systems are mostly SS but why the mastercool tanks often used for recovery are ok with brass parts.
In using limonene it would follow then that one would have to use all stainelss in all parts of the system?

Old Gold

Because Mastercool doesn't design sanitary solvent tanks for food-grade or medical applications.
If you ask me, brass ain't OK.

FishmanK

I hadn't thought to not use them, are there good options besides the very expensive stainless tanks specifically for solvent?

Lyfespan

whos horatio? and why is bubblemans youtube videos being considered for any near a lab procedure?

Obsidian

Veteran
that's going to be some heavy duty citrus terp'd oil
limonene is a terp added to oil to so call enhance flavor lol

I'm hearing of unscrupulous oil makers using it and others to revive the oils they heavily purge.
lot's of talk on fb and reddit high times etc

to much terpene oil can cause bad shit to you.

essential oil therapists know this, every herbalist knows this, we are NEVER supposed to inhale large amounts of vaporized terpenes.
We are only to in hale the scent through diffusion not Vaporization as many are doing here.

You wonder why that bad lung shit is happening to oil puffers?
to much terps!

With proper technique, residual Limonene is almost non-existent. Horatio has discussed that that the solvent d-Limonene is gone when the a-Limonene from the plant stays. He can't explain it but testing shows this to be the case. Limonene extraction can be done but to get your Limonene out, you will want a rotary evaporator and some distillation skill. I do recommend a closed loop because of the vapors, but would recommend all glass with vacuum- assisted processing. Limonene has too high of a boiling point to recover it directly with a recovery pump.

Last edited:

TheArchitect

Veteran
whos horatio? and why is bubblemans youtube videos being considered for any near a lab procedure?

that's going to be some heavy duty citrus terp'd oil
limonene is a terp added to oil to so call enhance flavor lol

I'm hearing of unscrupulous oil makers using it and others to revive the oils they heavily purge.
lot's of talk on fb and reddit high times etc

to much terpene oil can cause bad shit to you.

essential oil therapists know this, every herbalist knows this, we are NEVER supposed to inhale large amounts of vaporized terpenes.
We are only to in hale the scent through diffusion not Vaporization as many are doing here.

You wonder why that bad lung shit is happening to oil puffers?
to much terps!

i respect your opinions, but would you be so kind as to keep them to yourselves in my thread.

I'm trying to keep this thread on the specific topic of extracting cannabis resin using limonene, not about the messenger of said method or the supposed danger of improperly purged product, or unscrupulous dealers or kids on reddit.

thank you.

Latest posts

Latest posts