What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Speakers Corner is toxic

Gypsy Nirvana

Recalcitrant Reprobate -
Administrator
Veteran
Really should be called the white supremacists and people who think they're worth arguing with sub-forum.

- Quite obviously you think its worth arguing about - or you wouldn't be here spending your valuable time arguing with us now would you?

- a few sprinkled 'Critical Race Theory' inspired attempted insults always helps towards the intrigue - I suppose - or does it?

Badfishy1

Although I am new here, I was a member previously for a number of years.

i have to say that the speakers corner has really degenerated into a toxic cesspool of hate. Much of this is obviously around the US election. I have read about people advocating for killing their fellow citizens, public hangings,seen videos advocating armed uprising. I have been linked to some sites that can only be described as batshit crazy. All this in a section which is supposed to have friendly discourse.

In the last 2 weeks I have noticed a few old members delete their account, or say they won't post anymore. These issues even spill out into grow forums. To be honest there's some on here that I used to respect a lot; now not so much.

In short, I think the speakers corner is causing huge disharmony and will harm the site in the long term. Personally I am trying to stay away, but have strong views so not always possible. It's like a daily soap opera that I hate, but can't keep away. Plus once you post in a thread it forever updates in my posts.

Anyway if it was up to me I would ditch it altogether, or somehow clean it up. I know this won't happen but I just needed to vent.

So don’t read the threads. YOUR lack of self control (not being able to ignore threads) is a YOU issue kiddo.

CosmicGiggle

Veteran
:good: Yeah, what Badfishy said, but how come you aren't posting under your original handle, you know, the one with thousands of posts before you were banned! ;)

Chi13

ICMag Donor
So don’t read the threads. YOUR lack of self control (not being able to ignore threads) is a YOU issue kiddo.
Yes, and I have acknowlege that. My issue isn't so much with political threads, more the way they've degenerated into hate speech. However, when there was no political discussion on icmag the place seemed friendlier. I have not taken part in politics lately but still can't help look at topics in My Posts.
Haven't been called kiddo for 50 years at least :)
The only way to fight toxic people is to become toxic yourself.
Yes and therein lies the problem for a lot of people.
You don't seem to have gone to the toxic level, though. Although I don't agree with a lot of what you say, I certainly respect the way you say it.

'Boogieman'

Yes and therein lies the problem for a lot of people.
You don't seem to have gone to the toxic level, though. Although I don't agree with a lot of what you say, I certainly respect the way you say it.

I'm used to it honestly, from social media, here and rollitup, even online video games are very toxic today.

LNG

The only way to fight toxic people is to become toxic yourself.
I would want to say that it may not be the way. Very often we see equal action/response, but have you tried to agree and apologise to a person lighting up in an argument? Most times they won't even notice and just keep arguing, you would have to repeat few times "I'm sorry/ I agree with you".
With toxic people - do not let them bother oneself.
They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience. Be the bigger person :) it's not up to you to change a person but its up to you how you respond to their toxicity...

CosmicGiggle

Veteran
:good: Hey, I liked the "drunk with power" part, and also appreciate the "unreasonably subjugating others" part too! :friends:

Gypsy Nirvana

Recalcitrant Reprobate -
Administrator
Veteran
:good: Hey, I liked the "drunk with power" part, and also appreciate the "unreasonably subjugating others" part too! :friends:

- Yeah - quite a bunch seem to feel the need to claim victim status - even if it is only for perceived 'unreasonable subjugation' - at some perceived authority -

- brings all the luvvie's and the bleeding hearts out to save the day - in some soupcon of moral turpitude - virtue signalling and finger pointing - people love drama -

- * as for 'drunk with power' - lets get some words from Deano -

picture.php

Last edited:

audiohi

Veteran
I'm used to it honestly, from social media, here and rollitup, even online video games are very toxic today.

Some could say... online video games played a pretty big role in where we are now. Did you get that new PS5 yet?

Steve Bannon learned to harness troll army from 'World of Warcraft'
https://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/talkingtech/2017/07/18/steve-bannon-learned-harness-troll-army-world-warcraft/489713001/

In 2005, Bannon secured $60 million in funding from Goldman Sachs and other investors for Internet Gaming Entertainment, a Hong Kong-based company. IGE did not make games, but instead employed "low-wage Chinese workers" to play online multiplayer game World of Warcraft and earn in-game gold that could be traded for virtual goods, which in turn could be resold to players of the hugely popular PC game for real money, Green writes. At the time, the game published by Blizzard Entertainment, had about 10 million subscribers.

In describing gamers, Bannon said, "These guys, these rootless white males, had monster power. ... It was the pre-reddit. It's the same guys on (one of a trio of online message boards owned by IGE) Thottbot who were [later] on reddit" and other online message boards where the alt-right flourished, Bannon said.

"You can activate that army. They come in through Gamergate or whatever and then get turned onto politics and Trump."