What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Fungus gnats? Help!

sort of

sort of

? thought going bio i shoudnt be concern about ec or ph.
there is no difermce in minerals in organics and chemical. the difference is how they are held or their " delivery " system. nitrate form calcium nitrate NO3 is EXACTLY the same nitrate NO3 ASS IN COMPOST or worn castingsn.
nitrate with calcium is bonded as calcium nitrate. Ca( NO3) 2 .
in blood meal or compost it is in a carbon bond or adsorb3d in to the carbon in what they call the cationn exchange capacity.
either way for the plants roots to absorb nitrogen THE MOLECULE IF NITROGEN MUST DISSOLVE INTO RHE SOLUTION AND BE TAKEN BY THE ROOt.
organics 100% can burn and overdose plants. the salts leach out and dissolve into the solution. if there is nothing leaching out then the EC should read low .
it is easy to check. yes I also wound not worry about ph too much . it is highly unlikely it would drift much with carbon based soils

buzzmobile

Veteran
I managed to kill and take photos from the microscope of two bugs.A white and a black gnat.?

The first two photos look like whiteflies. They multiply rapidly and they lay their eggs on the underside of leaves. They are easily killed with a soap spray. The difficult part is making sure the soap spray contacts the insect.

The other two photos look like fungus gnats. Soap spray will kill them too. Bacillus thuringiensis israeliensis used as a drench will kill larvae in the soil/mix. Mosquito dunks, Gnatrol, Mosquito bits all contain the bacteria.

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
the insects in the first post pics are thrips. Plant damage is thrip damage.

first scope pic on second page is a whitefy (never seen those on cannabis but i get them on my brassicas lol)
second scope pic is a scarid fly/fungus gnat.

VG

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
That leaf damage looks odd to me. It should be scattered about not just in a small area like that. I guess if there was only 1 thrip?. Here His looks different than what im familiar with. His is on the right. Looks like eggs to me.

Attachments

• IMG_20201125_144313.jpg
    IMG_20201125_144313.jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 20
  • thrips-cannabis.jpg
    thrips-cannabis.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_20201124_121845.jpg
    IMG_20201124_121845.jpg
    7.8 KB · Views: 21

Switcher56

Comfortably numb!
That is why I don't come here for troubleshooting, sorry. Too many opinions on the same problem!

The last thing the individual needs is a confusing opinion!!! He's looking for a cure. I conduct plant diagnosis outside this forum for the exact same reason as stated and, I don't apologize for it!

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
It def gets easier the more experience you get. Not many experienced growers need to use the infirmary. We are here to help new growers mostly. Its up to them to choice who's opinions to use.

MrBungle

The fastest way to get rid of fungus gnat larvae (especially if you're familiar with bottom feeding plants) is to put down a layer of diatomaceous earth on top of your medium, and don't water from the top any more... The D.E. is like shards of broken glass to the gnat larvae.. once it gets wet it turns to mud and they can move through it without bleeding out and dying.. the soapy suds will kill the thrips, and adult fungus gnats as said above.. Hope this helps!

Switcher56

Comfortably numb!
It def gets easier the more experience you get. Not many experienced growers need to use the infirmary. We are here to help new growers mostly. Its up to them to choice who's opinions to use.
Well your reply was as ambiguous as it gets, and only substantiate what I said!

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
That is why I don't come here for troubleshooting, sorry. Too many opinions on the same problem!
!

I just identified the pests in the pictures, i cant help that there was three different ones !
(thrips are the insects in post 10, the dead ones in op are gnats, post 19 is whitefly and gnat)

i don't answer stuff like this unless i am sure.

VG

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
That leaf damage looks odd to me. It should be scattered about not just in a small area like that. I guess if there was only 1 thrip?. Here His looks different than what im familiar with. His is on the right. Looks like eggs to me.

yes, thats the kind of damage you get from 1 thrip moving in on a leaf. i get the odd one quite regularly because my grow is in a garage in my garden.

VG

Crooked8

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I just identified the pests in the pictures, i cant help that there was three different ones !
(thrips are the insects in post 10, the dead ones in op are gnats, post 19 is whitefly and gnat)

VG
I agree 100%

Switcher56

Comfortably numb!

VG
Please don't take my comment out of context good buddy. It wasn't aimed at anyone in particular. It was a general comment.

The reason why I made it, is because when someone posts for help, I do understand it might not be simple but, IMHO the last thing he needs is a bunch of solutions, some are good some are bad. Which one does he choose? That is why I search different sources for a solution and, that information requires corroboration. When in doubt, flush it out. IMHO, that is probably the safest "reset". The latter is often recommended here and elsewhere as well.

In this scenario, we have bugs. I am fortunate that I never had bugs. Then again, I am anal about my environment cleanliness. Could I troubleshoot bugs? No.

OTOH, when it comes to nutrition deficiency/ies, this is where I see it occurring the most. Where some folks say it is this, others say no, it is that etc... How does he go about solving his problem. He doesn't. That is why he asked the Q in the 1st place.

No foul intended good buddy :tiphat:

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
No offense taken.... i wasn't really offering solutions, just pest ID.

Although i would say it points towards bad ventilation/circulation. (mainly due to the whiteflies)

I'm the opposite, i know about pests because i am a gardener by trade as well as a grower... but i grow in organic soil and i am lucky that my plants rarely have deficiencies... so i am no expert in ID'ing them.

VG :tiphat:

mimistow

The first two photos look like whiteflies. They multiply rapidly and they lay their eggs on the underside of leaves. They are easily killed with a soap spray. The difficult part is making sure the soap spray contacts the insect.

The other two photos look like fungus gnats. Soap spray will kill them too. Bacillus thuringiensis israeliensis used as a drench will kill larvae in the soil/mix. Mosquito dunks, Gnatrol, Mosquito bits all contain the bacteria.
But buds have started to show up.soap wont have any bad effect on buds?

buzzmobile

Veteran
But buds have started to show up.soap wont have any bad effect on buds?

Soap spray will turn pistils orange/brown. Soap spray can be rinsed off. It has no residual. It is only effective when it contacts an insect directly.

Sometimes when I exhale a hit from my joint soap bubbles float out with the smoke.
:laughing: ;)

I have used a Shop Vac in the past when dealing with an infestation of white flies. Turn on the vacuum cleaner and use a stick to comb across the canopy to get the insects airborne.

mimistow

Maybe its a leafhopper as someone mentioned earlier?

mimistow

The fastest way to get rid of fungus gnat larvae (especially if you're familiar with bottom feeding plants) is to put down a layer of diatomaceous earth on top of your medium, and don't water from the top any more... The D.E. is like shards of broken glass to the gnat larvae.. once it gets wet it turns to mud and they can move through it without bleeding out and dying.. the soapy suds will kill the thrips, and adult fungus gnats as said above.. Hope this helps!
Well i cant think of a way to bottom feed with these kind of airpots cause at the bottom they have a plastic net that holds the sail that's 5 cm above the ground.Also soap wont affect the young flowers?