What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Fungus gnats? Help!

Switcher56

Comfortably numb!
Im using bio bizz .The tripack + bioheaven and algamic.But ive only feed them twice the two last weeks cause i had overwatered the soil and it took a month to dry out!
Bingo we have a winner! Not winner, winner chicken dinner either.

That being said... you had dormant eggs in your soil or you brought them in as previously stated.

I am not as anal as requesting the 20 odd question survey someone else who posted, mind you, but a generality does help, in the trouble shooting :)

runoff test

runoff test

Hello guys ,Im growing under a 180W led light ,plants are 45 days old .In some point i introduced some strawberry plants and some herbs to the indoor garden to fight off the smells but a week after i watered all of the plants i saw flying bugs in the enviroment. ? was thinking that they are just some regular small flies but after a small period of time my kids started to get droopy and overwatering or underwatering wasnt the issue.I ve never encounter any bug issue so im completely clueless of whats going on.Any help or advise would be very appreciated.Thank you for instance!:angelshug:
The first photo is a taken 17/11 ,the second one 24/11.the third 25/11 where at this point the plant to the right started to recover a bit considering that the leaves stood a bit upwards.The plant to the left got a pale green colour and the one in the center is somewhere in the middle.
do a quick ec if your runoff water .90 % of leaf issues from salt buildup in medium. the ec should be not more than 50% higher than feed EC
if feed 800 runiff 1200 .if runiff 1600 or higher that is definately the issue

Switcher56

Comfortably numb!
You are right but with these kind of pots its a bit hard to bottom feed them cause the plastic net at the bottom is elevated somewhere around 5-8cm from the tents floor.
Isn't that mesh at the bottom of the pot moveable?

I use cloth pots. A lot of folks don't like them but, IMHO are they better than them smart pots HANDS DOWN. Most don't like them because they leak from the sides = they don't know HOW to water.

My 3gal cloth pots (only a few inches, read insignificant to the volume of a 5gal pot) get exactly 1.5l every three days. On every other watering they get fed. I grow in Promix. I was told by the local shop here, start there and move on. This is the SIMPLEST wtg. IT works and I have never looked back.

I go by pot weight, verified with a moisture meter when in doubt. Occasionally I'll get a pot that is heavier than the other with a similar canopy. I check with the moisture meter, and will drop her to 1.25l and see how she does. It normally comes back into line. Some times they don't. They dried out faster than I thought so, I once again go back to 1.5l/watering. BTW, if you shove your moisture meter right down to the bottom of the pot, you will get a false reading , because the last 1/8 of any given pot is the saturation zone. Your roots aren't there. How do you find out where your roots are at in relation to the pot? Good question!

In a conventional plastic pot, your roots are at the bottom of the pot, in the sodden zone. The are not happy there. No oxygen!!! So they circle the pot and if root bound you can actually see them circling but constantly going up from that zone, trying to breath. They will settle there, because there needs are met.

Those are the roots e.g veins... it is the capillary roots that actually do the drinking and feeding or, what is know as the fine feeder roots. Every time a root hits the side of a cloth pot, the tip dies, similar to pruning, causing back budding from the root into the fine feeder roots, that sustain the plant.

How do I know this? Well for one thing I do a post mortem at the end of every run. My pot is full of hairs = a good thing (think a coconut mat). There are roots there as well but, very few compared to growing in std pots. I simply applied lessons learned in Bonsai to what I am doing know. Can you fathom a tree growing in a 1 to 2 inch growing medium? BTW, you can grow anything in chards of glass, providing you meet the plants growing needs (hydro would be a good example).

When you are thirsty you have a glass of water, and you are satisfied, until you become thirsty again. Bonsai just like our girls aren't on a IV, they only uptake as necessary and, they (just like you) don't like wet tootsies = trench foot. The object in Bonsai is water every 24hrs, and if you cant do that, modify your medium so it is capable of doing so.

I understand why some of the information isn't forthcoming on the subject. However, the movement are doing themselves a disfavour (IMHO) holding their card to their chest and, expecting deregulation in the process!

It is a frigging weed/plant. It ain't voodoo. That being said... I do respect trade secrets but, not simple botany! :tiphat:

thrips

thrips

Definitely scope the bottoms of the leaves believe it or not gnats are one of the larger pests.

View attachment 553300

View attachment 553301

And there is way smaller out there

do they fly ? that looks like an aphid . if the fly then whitefly .but looks like aphid .
aphids will make marks like chipping paint with a key on a car . sort of jagged litthe rectangle .
they leave sticky dark little piles of exude .
those dark sections of leaves are not bugs . that is nutrient or salt.

Switcher56

Comfortably numb!
do they fly ? that looks like an aphid . if the fly then whitefly .but looks like aphid .
aphids will make marks like chipping paint with a key on a car . sort of jagged litthe rectangle .
You're smoking too much dope!

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Aphids are fat that is not a aphid.

His pic

picture.php

Thrip

picture.php

Aphid

picture.php

CannaRed

Cannabinerd
I've never seen the yellow sticky traps before. But for like $4 I can get a dozen sticky fly paper rolls. They work awesome! It's not just for house flies! They are attracted to it, and they are brown so its not the color. I placed them down at soil level and they work great. But they even work if you hang it high above the light. They are attracted to a chemical in it just like house flys. Then I use the mosquito donuts.
Make do with stuff not exactly made for the specific pest.

mimistow

Above pic looks like a gnat. Easy to keep out of your medium by keeping the top 2" dry. After you water use a stick to fluff the top layer of your medium. It will dry very fast, gnats will not go any deeper than a few inches into moist mendims. If the medium is dry they cant breed in it.

Thrips will require using Spinosad or neem oil if you want instant results. If you grow all the time none stop adding a IPM schedule will prevent issues like this.

Both of these are common pest issues. Both are easy to eradicate.
Today i searched for spinosad at the local stores and the only one that had ,it was selling it for 45 euro.Neem oil is something i should order cause we dont have here where i live.Also which are the thrips from the photos i uploaded? THanks!!!

mimistow

do a quick ec if your runoff water .90 % of leaf issues from salt buildup in medium. the ec should be not more than 50% higher than feed EC
if feed 800 runiff 1200 .if runiff 1600 or higher that is definately the issue
? thought going bio i shoudnt be concern about ec or ph.

mimistow

they got wings and they fly.They are a bit deformed from the cause of death :p

mimistow

Isn't that mesh at the bottom of the pot moveable?

I use cloth pots. A lot of folks don't like them but, IMHO are they better than them smart pots HANDS DOWN. Most don't like them because they leak from the sides = they don't know HOW to water.

My 3gal cloth pots (only a few inches, read insignificant to the volume of a 5gal pot) get exactly 1.5l every three days. On every other watering they get fed. I grow in Promix. I was told by the local shop here, start there and move on. This is the SIMPLEST wtg. IT works and I have never looked back.

I go by pot weight, verified with a moisture meter when in doubt. Occasionally I'll get a pot that is heavier than the other with a similar canopy. I check with the moisture meter, and will drop her to 1.25l and see how she does. It normally comes back into line. Some times they don't. They dried out faster than I thought so, I once again go back to 1.5l/watering. BTW, if you shove your moisture meter right down to the bottom of the pot, you will get a false reading , because the last 1/8 of any given pot is the saturation zone. Your roots aren't there. How do you find out where your roots are at in relation to the pot? Good question!

In a conventional plastic pot, your roots are at the bottom of the pot, in the sodden zone. The are not happy there. No oxygen!!! So they circle the pot and if root bound you can actually see them circling but constantly going up from that zone, trying to breath. They will settle there, because there needs are met.

Those are the roots e.g veins... it is the capillary roots that actually do the drinking and feeding or, what is know as the fine feeder roots. Every time a root hits the side of a cloth pot, the tip dies, similar to pruning, causing back budding from the root into the fine feeder roots, that sustain the plant.

How do I know this? Well for one thing I do a post mortem at the end of every run. My pot is full of hairs = a good thing (think a coconut mat). There are roots there as well but, very few compared to growing in std pots. I simply applied lessons learned in Bonsai to what I am doing know. Can you fathom a tree growing in a 1 to 2 inch growing medium? BTW, you can grow anything in chards of glass, providing you meet the plants growing needs (hydro would be a good example).

When you are thirsty you have a glass of water, and you are satisfied, until you become thirsty again. Bonsai just like our girls aren't on a IV, they only uptake as necessary and, they (just like you) don't like wet tootsies = trench foot. The object in Bonsai is water every 24hrs, and if you cant do that, modify your medium so it is capable of doing so.

I understand why some of the information isn't forthcoming on the subject. However, the movement are doing themselves a disfavour (IMHO) holding their card to their chest and, expecting deregulation in the process!

It is a frigging weed/plant. It ain't voodoo. That being said... I do respect trade secrets but, not simple botany! :tiphat:
I prefer cloth pots too ,they have many advantages ,u can manage better the overwatering or bottom feed etc...

ronbo51

Veteran
You can get mosquito dunks or bits anywhere cheap. They are bt so totally ok to use. They work. I will toss the bits in on top of the soil. In the past I will throw some bits in a glass jar with warm water, no chlorine, and incubate the first dose to speed things up a bit.