What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Cloning Rosemary?

BOMBAYCAT

Veteran
Any tips for me? I want to companion plant into my MMJ but I can't get roots to grow out of the Rosemary. I am using the same equipment and methods that I use to clone MMJ (over 90%) but they won't work for me. Thanks

budsnblunts

Veteran
Are you using the hardier/woddier part of rosemary for the area to grow roots in? If so try carve a little into the woddy area until it is softer, that might increase chances of rooting. Or if you want to try soaking the hardier stems before propagation that could increase chances of survival to. If all else fails keep trying to take soft green, higher to the top stuff. Good luck, pump the numbers and I'm sure some will come through.

Al Botross

ICMag Donor
Veteran
good long cut peel back about 2" of the bark, drop in glass of water put in sunny window and keep eye on water, Done......

Dropped Cat

Six Gummi Bears and Some Scotch
Veteran
good long cut peel back about 2" of the bark, drop in glass of water put in sunny window and keep eye on water, Done......

I did a cutting of some spike-y harsh rosemary plant in
the garden and rooted in tap water. Two years later and
that plant, potted, is magnificent.

How'd you do that she says.

lol

Redbuddz

I've never had any issues cloning rosemary. I simply place in cup of water in a sunny window. good roots in about 21 days

exploziv

pure dynamite
Administrator
Veteran
Btw, you can also cover lower branches of a plant to do layering. It will throw roots if part of a branch is placed in a dark and humid place (soil). This is how the plant naturally expands it's territory. It will take some time, couple of months or more, but it's a great way to get baby plants from a big rosemary bush.

Betterhaff

Veteran
I’ve taken rosemary in and out for over wintering, I’ve also had it come back after a winter outdoors (can't remember the variety). Cuts will root in water but a better way to do it is with divisions…separate some of the plant, if possible, with roots and you’re good to go.

blastfrompast

Veteran
Never had any problems rooting it, though I use STIMROOT for WOODY stems....Can't remember which #...

I buy a plant in Feb and use it to make 20 babies to put out in the spring :)...

exploziv

pure dynamite
Administrator
Veteran
any root stimulant for woody stems plants will do. but it's easier to root the young tips that are not woody yet. root stimulants for erbaceous plants like cannabis will not help, tho.
since it takes a lot for roots to show, I recommend using willow water in the cloning cup. it will help keep the slime and bacteria off the stem of the cuts before roots emerge. will also help by shorting the time it takes till you see roots.

the gnome

Veteran
my rosemary plant had a branch lean over into another container and
it rooted up in no time :)

as for the OPs Q, rosemary roots pretty easily as posted above, put it in water and a little rooting powder and you should be good in a few 2-3wks
a neat-n-fun way to get cuttings with a rootball ready to go it is with air layering
works great on woody stemmed plants lie rose mary

any root stimulant for woody stems plants will do. but it's easier to root the young tips that are not woody yet. root stimulants for erbaceous plants like cannabis will not help, tho.
since it takes a lot for roots to show, I recommend using willow water in the cloning cup. it will help keep the slime and bacteria off the stem of the cuts before roots emerge. will also help by shorting the time it takes till you see roots.
Excellent

This is lavender and thyme, but works for rosemary too if your bored haha.
picture.php

zachrockbadenof

Veteran
didn't know u can root cuttings... what I have noticed is that mine is very...very slow growing... I see people with rosemary bushes...meantime mine is this small plant that is brought inside my greenhouse room in the winter and doesn't seem to grow much at all... I've seen bigger plants selling at home depot... what's the secret???

exploziv

pure dynamite
Administrator
Veteran
the right soil and lots of sun. also if your plant is old you might find a cutting will have more vigor and grow faster than your old bush. rosemary does like sun, it barely grows overwinter then when i put them out they just explode. using it in the kitchen, aka "topping", also makes for a nice bushy plant that will grow faster.

Exploziv is right on, you can really make a proper bush out of rosemary or french lavender, theres probably pictures in my albums of some, Ive got a lavender that I keep like a bonsai, and I prune it to be like a tree. All those cuttings had come off of ut actually.

exploziv

pure dynamite
Administrator
Veteran
I really wish I could leave it outside overwinter, that would make for a really big bush. But the frosts here are not friendly for rosemary plants. Think they only take -5C to -10C or so.

zachrockbadenof

Veteran
thanks for replies... my rosemary is a plant I bought last spring, left out all summer, and brought inside last fall... it's a slow grower as was my past rosemary plants- along with gardenia's , it seems both just wont grow for me... but for all other plants, its like I'm johnny green thumb....