What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Malawi Style Cob Curing.

Tangwena

Veteran
Hi Zach looks great the colors are nice and show its fermented nicely.
Drying for 10 days wow that means your humidity must be quite high where you live.
If I dried 10 days where I live it would have been bone dry our RH is around 50% sometimes lower.
What strain was it made from?

zachrockbadenof

Veteran
Hi Zach looks great the colors are nice and show its fermented nicely.
Drying for 10 days wow that means your humidity must be quite high where you live.
If I dried 10 days where I live it would have been bone dry our RH is around 50% sometimes lower.
What strain was it made from?

yeah its been raining for 10days here- the weed is ace's Zamaldelica... grew it under 2x315's cmh - cut at 88/89days of 12/12...

i made 2 cobbs- the 1st one was cut , dried a few days, then cobbed- my buddy tried some of that last week, n really enjoyed it

the 2nd cobb air dried for about 5days, then it went into jars... def not being dried, after a couple of days in jars being burped, i decided lets cobb this tooo - in total cobbed a little less then 2oz- i haven't tried any yet... this weekend i will

Tangwena

Veteran
Zamaldelica is a crazy ride that reminds me I haven't had any for months I have a nice cob aging really fucks me up but I need a party to go to on that stuff ha ha.
Please see if you can get some nice close ups of the cobs I love looking at them even if I cant taste them its the next best thing ha ha.

zachrockbadenof

Veteran
Zamaldelica is a crazy ride that reminds me I haven't had any for months I have a nice cob aging really fucks me up but I need a party to go to on that stuff ha ha.
Please see if you can get some nice close ups of the cobs I love looking at them even if I cant taste them its the next best thing ha ha.

i'll be back on tues.. will get some closeups (with an iphone)- :tiphat:

I did some cobs with Mauritius x Ethiopian from ACE:

lets see how they turn out in a few weeks.

Attachments

• Vorbereitung.jpg
    Vorbereitung.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 18
  • Füllen.jpg
    Füllen.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 27
  • Wickeln.jpg
    Wickeln.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 15
  • Vakuumieren.jpg
    Vakuumieren.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 22

Tangwena

Veteran
Perfect strain for this type of cure my friend.
I love the biggest knobbly one reminds me of Africa we used to score fat ones like that sometimes always a good score.
Please post pics as they cure these will be as authentic as they get with that combination of strains nice job man.
Thanks for posting.

zachrockbadenof

Veteran

tangwena - best i can do with iphone

Attachments

• IMG_4417.JPG
    IMG_4417.JPG
    57.6 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_4418.JPG
    IMG_4418.JPG
    57.6 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_4419.JPG
    IMG_4419.JPG
    46.2 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_4420.JPG
    IMG_4420.JPG
    53.7 KB · Views: 23

Tangwena

Veteran
tangwena - best i can do with iphone
Looks great man how are the aromas my last cobs of zamaldelica smelt crazy fermented sweet pine when I first opened the bag.
Of course after drying they became more subtle but not the effect that just got crazier ha ha.
My Zam cobs are nearly 3 years old now but sealed up so they are still fresh and terpy every time I open them to cut of a slice ha ha.
Its my party cob if I need to spark up for a night out ha ha.

zachrockbadenof

Veteran
Looks great man how are the aromas my last cobs of zamaldelica smelt crazy fermented sweet pine when I first opened the bag.
Of course after drying they became more subtle but not the effect that just got crazier ha ha.
My Zam cobs are nearly 3 years old now but sealed up so they are still fresh and terpy every time I open them to cut of a slice ha ha.
Its my party cob if I need to spark up for a night out ha ha.

i opened the bag yesterday to air out for the final time.... i'm testing it tonite...:thank you:

Tangwena

Veteran
Panama x Purple Haze cob cured

Panama x Purple Haze cob cured

I had the cobs from the last grow out for their weekly dry and inspection.
They have a strong (stink the house out) sweet pine and skunky Panama smell.

Check out the light reflecting from my window off of the resin on those buds.
In a couple of months time these will have aged to perfection like aromatic pressed hash.

picture.php
picture.php

funkyhorse

Master Tangwena
Smoking marihuana is not addictive but reading a marihuana forum where interesting knowledge is shared can become addictive
For me your thread is one of the highlights because it helped me understand and put in perspective a lot of different stuff I have seen, touched, grinded and smoked
I have shared the fermenting method to friends in Canary Islands and they have posted it in a small spanish forum. I do disagree with them in a few things about cannabis tastes but we completely agree on fermented buds

As you might know, many things in the cannabis world are taken out of context and distorted
The idea of this post is to point a few things out and brainstorm them in order to generate new knowledge so we can all improve and get better. We are not perfect but we are perfectible beings and we all make mistakes. Correcting mistakes helps us improve and we can all enjoy the improved results, so here is the feedback

1)This is about you Tangwena and how you personally feel about big commercial growers and not boutique ones or home growers using the knowledge shared by your posts in order to produce, sell and make a lot of money selling cobs without them giving any recognition about it to you.
I feel you are happy when home growers or boutique growers use your described method comercially and it doesnt matter much to you if they give you any recognition or not but if it's big scale you are not very happy about it. What are your feelings about this?
I ask you this because in my point of view, there isnt much difference if the target is for 1; 10; 100 or for 1000. If it is for money, then it is just one extra zero. The amount of zeros are all the same when materiality is the goal and target of a project. The only thing that changes in the equation is the size of things

2)Friends in Canary Islands have a small club and they sell there fermented buds. The club owner today has changed to use fermented when he wants to smoke
We agree on this:
a)the best way to smoke marihuana is using fermented buds.
b)Vaping fermented buds sucks big time!!!! Fermented buds are for smoking and not for vaping. Why? It seems vaporizers are efficient and designed for use with loose herbs. Fermented buds, same as hash, need a very high temperature in order to vape(200C+). For vaping at that temperature is almost same like smoking, I find it nonsense, all the medicinal value is gone. With vaporizers, taste is enhanced. Fermented bud taste sucks and it doesnt make it a pleasurable experience at all.
c)We found absolutely no difference in the high on the 30 day mark between the jar cured bud and the fermented bud from the same plant/batch. And for him it was a big surprise and talks very positevely of cobbing because he just ferments the small buds. People reporting big differences and enhancements on the 30 day mark between both are either biased or they are not giving the same loving cure to both of them(see 3)
d)We think it is better to eliminate all the sticks before cobbing. Once it is cobbed and pressed it is very difficult to impossible to take out the sticks and without them it is a better product

3)This is a 20th century low budget/low tech cure. It is a lost art today in most parts of the world. This is a type of cure which is designed to last long time, like most stuff from the 20th century, things were designed to stand the test of time and last, contrary to the 21st century thinking in which stuff is designed to stand the test of the warranty time with a spare extra month and then throw it away and buy new.
So if you are looking to cure long term, fermenting is the best. In the long run, fermented cobs/buds will certainly give a better result than jar cured.

4)It is a very different experience to read you from the future your past posts than reading you at the time of your writing.
You compared yourself to Florida. So I thought your location would be Darwin or Cairns. Then I saw the Purple Punto Rojo buds your friend had at the end of april and it looks like the same stuff I got here at the same time with my "Fumo da Lata"...and then you posted about fishing and your beaches and I understood you must be a Western Force supporter. I am located at a latitude 250 kms south of you. Your location is hotter than mine about 2-4C average and I have much more humidity than you. No way we can compare ourselves to Florida!!! Our sun is dangerous for humans and is different than northern hemisphere sun. Exposing yourself to the sun at southern hemisphere southern latitudes between 1000-1600 hours is dangerous, this is a scientific fact.
But I also believe the extra UV and power of our southern hemisphere sun is beneficial for trees and plants. This is a speculation I would like some more info about
Tangwena, You might be able to compare your location to Florida the day Miami Dolphins is replaced by a japanese football team and their best player gone to play for the japanese team and never before that. What people feel over there watching Masirewa play for Sunwolves???
You made me look at latitude 30 north, with this criteria you can also compare yourself to Afghanistan and Pakistan. On the other hand, when looking at latitude 30 north I instantly understood why Afghani and Paki varieties became the dominant force in Usa cannabis industry

Sorry for long ass post
Pd1:I like your teaching method of encouraging people but I would like it to be a little bit more strict teaching and tell them when cob result looks so so.
Pd2:I must point this out: Picture buds or plants look beautiful but I cant judge if it is nice or not from looks. It is not the same with cobs. I can tell which ones will be a better product by pictures just from looks and your cobs look more delicious than a kangaroo steak

Tangwena

Veteran
Hi Funkyhorse wow that was a lot to digest.
I dont care what people do with the information I post good luck to anyone trying it or making money from it life goes on regardless we cant control it.

It takes a life time of curing to get good at it experimentation is the name of the game.
Some cobs will suck others not. By using different curing parameters you can make the buds suite vaporising, smoking or chewing.

My location is not like Florida more like Southern California I would think its very dry and not humid at all on the edge of the desert.

It makes me very happy that your friends in the Canary islands are using and liking this cure. They have a reputation as great lovers and growers of the herb.
This cure came from Africa and always belongs to the people of Africa it is they who should be remembered as the original developers.

This whole journey of discovery has been with the help and input of members on this forum and others who are open minded enough to see that there are other ways of curing besides the basic dry it and jar it.
I have learned a lot from friends along the way.

I lived in Africa as a young man but never cured the grass this way as it was so cheap and easy to just buy it ready cured.

I did not know how the cure was done except that it was buried some times.
But I do remember the look smell and texture of the many differently cured cobs I bought.
When I get it right it always corresponds to a memory by taste smell and look.

There are many styles of cured cobs I have not been able to reproduce yet.

As nearly every region even every village had its own special herb that was cured and cobbed for a different result. I have managed to reproduce a couple of my favorite cures but am still trying to reproduce some of the others.

That is why at the beginning of this thread I may sound different in my approach than at this stage its an evolution of my thinking.
Thank you for taking the time to write your thoughts down it was a pleasure to read them you are now a member of the cob club.
Its time to experiment and seek out the other lost cures and bring them out into the light via the forums.

funkyhorse

Fermenting on bamboo
Has anyone tried this? If you have access to natural fresh bamboo, just cut a piece, wash the inside, fill it with your sativa buds and seal the bamboo with honey or liquified sugar to make vacuum. Place the bamboo to sun dry and when the bamboo dries in about two weeks it should be ready to cure. I will try it next season, I wonder if someone had tried this

I would imagine your location to resemble southern Atacama desert: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atacama_Desert
Being nomad you develop a sense called thermoception.
I had two shocking trips from 30N to our latitudes. Sinai and Nepal. In Sinai I was used to live at 45C and I was suntanned.I travelled from there to 30S sea level and it was 15C midday. I was cold and I exposed myself to the sun. In 20 minutes I got red like a tomato, I could not believe it. Since then I respect the southern hemisphere sun very much and I protect myself always. In Nepal I was at 2000 meter altitude. When I travelled to the south, I felt the sun even a little stronger than in Nepal so I think your location can be compared to Southern California at 2000 mts altitude.

"...As nearly every region even every village had its own special herb that was cured and cobbed for a different result. I have managed to reproduce a couple of my favorite cures but am still trying to reproduce some of the others..."
Every village must have different humidity levels? I dont have a lab, but same cob material done in two different humidity levels with same temperature must have different results. And every strain seem to need a different cooking method to get the best.
Did you find a humidity level that brings consistent better results?

Tangwena

Veteran
tangwena - used another camera to get a close-up-
Hi Zach that looks well fermented how was the smoke and more importantly how was the high?
I had a third of a gram of 2 year old Panama cob yesterday boy that stuff is good.
I alternated between dreamy tripped out bliss and manic energy bursts the whole day.
I got heaps of random jobs done around the house ha ha.

Love that stuff I just forget how good it is when I have so many others to try ha ha.
I am fast approaching saturation point cobs wise I just dont see how my life can get any better and all thanks to Ace.

Tangwena

Veteran
Hi Funkyhorse the sun in the great southern land is not to be taken lightly.
When I go fishing in my boat I am covered in sun screen I feel like a greasy seal but at least I dont get burnt.
It is indeed very high UV and can burn you in very short time then skin cancer can be a real problem.
But large brimmed hats, cool cotton long sleeved shirts and sun glasses and sun screen do a good job.

Latest posts

Latest posts