What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Starting soil cuttings in Hydro

Sorry if these questions are stupid, I don't know much about Hydro....

Will it be a problem to take cuttings from a soil mother plant, root them, and then transfer them into a hydro set?

I'd imagine they would have to start on much lowered nutrients though. Is this correct?

G

shouldnt be a problem...I just took some 3 footers out of hydro and planted them outside. in soil.......you will be fine..

cobo

You will have no problems at all mate. Root them in a jiffy pellet and when roots are showing transfer them to rock wool cube, when u have roots growing out of rock wool, bung it in to hydro. You’ll be laughing all the way.

Man you will notice right away how much faster and bigger they will grow in hydro system. And its not hard to do, only thing is if your using clay stones in hydro you will have to watch the PH as it rises everyday and you will need to adjust in every 2 or 3 days while in Veg.

I found it to stabilize when using flowering Nutes, but I can only speak for my experience . Other's might have a different experience , also it might be something to do with the Nutes im using ! :confused:

Best of LUCK anyway :joint:

Last edited:
G

If your making the shift to hydro, I would recommend using a bubbler cloner...I'm also a hydro "newbie"...My first attempt at taking clones in a bubbler setup resulted in both clones showing 3-4" roots in 8 days...Check the threads for a "how-to"...VERY EASY

Check my gallery, I have a few picks of the clones and their root growth...As cobo said, hydro is very easy and the growth is amazing

BTW: Checked the clones this morning and the roots grew another 1" in 2 days :yoinks: Twice as dense as the pics in my gallery

Homer J Simpson said:
Sorry if these questions are stupid, I don't know much about Hydro....

Will it be a problem to take cuttings from a soil mother plant, root them, and then transfer them into a hydro set?

I'd imagine they would have to start on much lowered nutrients though. Is this correct?

Don't sweat it, we all start somewhere. You should check out the DIY Aerocloner's around here. King Ralph did a very informative tutorial with his DIY AeroCloner thread, there is also a link to one in my sig. With this, you cut it off the plant, (I scrape a bit of the outer layer of the area I want rooted so it roots faster), and stick it in the cloner. Within 7-14 days, you have clones that can be easily moved to either hydro or soil, whatever your preference.

And, I just finished my first Hydro grow with Bio-Buckets, all I can say is WOW :yoinks:, I am impressed. I would recommend Bio-Buckets to anyone. The link to that is in the sig as well. Anyway, scope out the aerocloners, they are worth your time and effort. :wave:

_Dude

I'm not transplanting from soil, but I have some cloning questions too.

I have several plants grown from seed in rockwool vegging right now. All of them are very fragile right at the point where the stem starts out of the rockwool. Two of them have broken at that point, and I had to prop them all up with pencils and tape. Obviously this isn't how you want to do it. How do you keep the same thing from happening with the clones?

My growing medium is hydroton (clay pellets), is there something I can use besides rockwool to stick the cuttings into after they start root growth?

cobo

_Dude said:
I'm not transplanting from soil, but I have some cloning questions too.

I have several plants grown from seed in rockwool vegging right now. All of them are very fragile right at the point where the stem starts out of the rockwool. Two of them have broken at that point, and I had to prop them all up with pencils and tape. Obviously this isn't how you want to do it. How do you keep the same thing from happening with the clones?

My growing medium is hydroton (clay pellets), is there something I can use besides rockwool to stick the cuttings into after they start root growth?

Clones start off with a stronger stem anyway, I use jiffy pellet for clones and then transplant them in to rock wool when roots are out of jiffy, when roots are out of rockwool you can put them in hydroton, no worries. :wave:

Have a fan blowing over them when you put them in hydroton, as it will strengthen their stems
:joint:

_Dude

Thanks cobo.

I read a thread over at cannabis.com boards, and I think I'm going to do what that guy does. Put cuttings in 2" netcup, all the way to the bottom, surround them with hydroton, put them in aerocloner. Once they root, put 2" cups into big netpots full of hydroton. That way I won't have to worry about tearing the roots up as much.