What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Neptune's GROW III, AN vs. GH controlled.

N

Neptune

What up folks, and welcome back to a new start here. This will be a documented diary of the fall season grow, It should be exciting this go around...I will be running the left table on Generahl Hydroponics, my usual formula... The right table on Advanced Nutrients, with a crapload of additives.

The Setup
Four 600w magnetic ballasts running GROWBRIGHT lamps, 95,000 lumens
Four Daystar AC hoods, running an aircooled closed circuit.
Two 3'x6' Tables
Two 70 gallon reservoirs
and a massive irrigation dripper system... lot of work them drippers.

This is a fresh air room, no CO2, no sealing. We roll with the punches and ebb and flow of temperatures in this dealywang. Someday I will seal a room, but not this one.

The medium, and Density
I will be running the krowmobe rockwool setup once again. 4" cubes on the 1'x3' slabs. 9 plants per light, 18 per table. 2 dripper stakes deliver top-feed nutrient to each plant every other day. Irrigation is every other day for 10 minutes throughout the entire cycle. The entire table is flushed HARD every 2 weeks with PH 5.9 tap water. Without the flush, crop failure ensues... salt buildup in rockwool is incredible.

Genetics Genetics Genetics
This round we got some all-star strains...
26 Pot of Gold :yoinks:
3 MK-Ultra (purple)
2 Hashplant
4 Chronic
1 Ken's Granddaddy Purple :woohoo:

I would have liked to run 36 Pot of Gold, but they were not rooted in time, and a friend needed the remainder of the PoG, so I went with some "safety cuttings" that I took, for just this occasion... Normally I do not like to run multiple strains, but this was an emergency... time is ticking for us farmers, ya'know?

My 5th lamp is still 100% Organic, but It will be a little bit of a surprise that I will reveal later... so stick around for that one... going back to the old ways!

All plants on tables will veg for 14-21 days, I will flip when I decide they are ready... some point after 14 days.. The Pot of Gold will dictate flowering time for all; they will all be harvested around 65-68 days. Yeah, quite long... but I put up with it for Pot of Gold.

The veg formulas for both tables is the same, no need to get too crazy and ruin a crop before we get started right? So they are on the following GH regime:

for 60 gallons of water
0-250-500 g m b (modified Lucas Formula)
300ml Hydrogaurd
500ml Diamond dectar(helps control PH when using such a light ppm)

PH 6.0 PPM 500

Empty Room, cleaned up, sanitized, and ready to Grow

1 week veg

AN lineup...

Stick around.... there's going to be drama, laughter, tears, and a lot of hard work... sure to be a good one!! :lurk: :wave:

blazeoneup

The Helpful One
Chat Moderator
Veteran
Good way to see for yourself what an nutes are capable of looks great going to be a nice on here...

HYDROJUNKIE

:lurk: this should be interesting,...ive always wanted to see a side by side with AN and GH,....most commercial growers in my area swear that a good GH nute schedule is all you need and the rest is hype...
ill guess we shall see :chin:
I was wondering what size pump your using to run all 36 dripers on one table,...I was thinking of converting to drippers so I wouldnt go through so much nutes...

swill

I can't wait to see how this turns out...gotta love a simple side by side comparison.

Good luck and keep it up

N

Neptune

Bacchus my friend! I do live at the bottom of the sea when I'm not working :)

Swill whats up man, stick around cuz it's gona get hot in here..!

hydrojunkie I'll be happy to be convinced that AN grows better pot, and bigger yeilds... but the way I "feel" about it is as you said, GH is so damn simple, the propensity for errors so low, that every cash cropper would be a fool to make things more difficult with lots of additives. I assure you, growing pot is difficult enough!

hashhead hehehe, more bubble pics coming your way bro.. not to worry! I got BAGS of popcorn nugs, and high quality trim... probably an ounce+ of highgrade bubble coming to a forum near you :)

blazeoneup Hey brother, good to see you around these parts! I love that stealth bookshelf man, super 007 style !! lol I'm eager to see that room cranked up to full speed!

vhghost hey bro, i'll get to that pm in a while. gotta think aboot that!

sbaegis I have been wanting to do this test for a long time, now is the right opportunity to lay to rest(I HOPE!) the age old debate! I'll be running all strains on each table, for good representation of quality, and yeild from strain to strain. I'll be following a very simple AN formula to ensure I don't fuck anything up... becuase I assure you, my GH formula is stupid simple, and I havn't fucked anything up from day1.

Thanks all for coming in, more updates soon! :)
Planting THE FIFTH LIGHT very soon now... I know the suspense is killing all of you!!! What could it be?? wtf?

I'LL NEVER TELL! lol

Sauce

I'll be watching. Loved Grow II so I can't wait to see how this one turns out. I'm also curious to see how you like AN vs GH in the end.

Didn't you use 6" rw blocks in the last one, if so why the switch?

I love how clean your setup is, I dream of such a setup some day. :chin: :D

Mampi

Nice one Nep... pity that the 'plant dr.' a good ole an spambot isn't still around for shits n' giggles :D

I have only tried 2 products from AN- both of which I had used variants of before from different companies.

#1- Pirahna - started out using Canna's Trichoderma. But get more for my $$ with Pirahna, even though I read that Mycorrhizal is not beneficial in hydro or summin like that!? :yoinks:

#2 - Carboload - started out using liquid lead before that tried EJ catalyst.

I like these 2 additives from AN, I have considered overdrive as well but haven't got round to testing it out. I believe carboload adds trichs and keeps the bacto (Trichoderma & Mycorrhizal) feed and means they don't drain carns from my plant.

From what I remember AN's 3 part is a GH rip so you should see the results of the additives if any quite clearly. I assume that you will be splitting the starins equally across the tables with the exception of the 3 Mk's & 1 GDP.

Good luck bro... I'm sure that you will do well whatever happens :yes:

HYDROJUNKIE

RuralRoute420 said:
how do you flush hard?

flush hard= to flush more than a weekly or bi-weekly flush,..ie:..if you have a 5 gallon pot and you flush with 10 gallons.

im going to call websters dictionary and have them add that :chin:

G

I'll bet a million dollars that AN doesn't yield that much more than the GH :joint:

Way to grow bro =]

N

Neptune

I'll get to a few replies, but first the update!

Things have slid into the dark side here at the Bottom of the Sea :badday:
We're on day 17 of veg now, and I will veg until the problems correct.

The res is 70 gallons, and I usually hold about 60 real gallons.
My GH recipie is as follows for this last 2 weeks:

0-250-500, g,m,b ml
500ml diamond nectar (mainly a PH buffer, down)
300ml hydrogaurd

PH 5.9-6.0 PPM 600 @ .5 hanna conversion.

Lights are on 18/6 and are easily 2ft. from the plants.
Temps are 75F lights on, RH 50%. Off is 65F 65% RH.

So, there's the info... let's get to the pics of the problem.

TO BE FAIR: All clones came from moms that had slightly slipped into flowering, due to me needing a good nights rest.. shame on me! They are half ugly because they are reverting to a vegetative state. But this radical yellowing is concerning.

To me this looks like PH is off. But the res has never tested above 6.1, which according to my notes is exactly the same as last grow, without these problems. They are getting flooded every other day for 10 minutes, that's it. Hard to believe they are drowning. This is recoverable, but the plants will have to spend an additional 7-10 days in the veg cycle. And so far, the problem is getting worse... not better. No idea what I am doing wrong, nothing is different from last cycle, aside from the fucked up clones.

Yesterday I flushed hard with PH 5.8 water, and changed each res after removing the res and cleaning both of them... I upped the strength as per my last batch notes:

0-350-700
300ml diamond nectar
300ml hydrogaurd

ph 5.75 ppm 850 @.5 hanna

Anyone recognize this?

NOTEs from the Sea:
Healthy mothers , lush green, vegetative, free of pests/diseases is pretty fucking important to a care-free grow. (*slams head against the wall*)

Last edited:
N

Neptune

On a good note, I have been busy with outdoor harvesting the last few weeks, trimming cleaning, making hash... all the good October Fall activities! Here is a jaw dropping Yelapa, Coastal Mexican Sativa... this is #6

looks to be a half pound of some psychedlic sativa, should keep me smoking through the dark winter nights ahead :sasmokin:

G

hey are getting flooded every other day for 10 minutes, that's it.

is the rockwool some what dried up by the time you water again? the way the leaves are drooping, it kinda looks overwatered. same thing happended to me in coco... overwatering caused my babies to look just like yours...