What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Can I make this a dimmable LED clone light?

G

I just got one of these to use in a small space for clones and moms and Im impressed by how bright it actually is. Very nice.

Id like to get another one for a slightly smaller space for just starting cuts for clones in a dome and want to be able to dim it a bit. I actually need to dim the one I have for the moms and clones as well.
I dont have issue buying a new small driver thats dimable but Im not sure if using dimmer would harm the LED's or which driver would be an appropriate choice.
I like this LED because its a low profile and the leds are spread out for good coverage in a height restricted space. No heat sink required and can be hung closer to the top of the cabinet/shelf.

https://horticulturelightinggroup.com/collections/lamps/products/hlg-40

I'mback

Comfortably numb!
Not all LEDs are dimable, household use anyway. The have reg and dimable. Of course you will need a dimmer like HH recommended. So, do you know if you have a dimable LED?

brickweeder

I believe that that light is dimable if you use a dimable driver. I use a Meanwell HLG-80H-24B on a couple of parallel-wired samsung led strip lights (they use the same Samsung LEDs as the light you linked...LM561C) for seedlings, clones and veg, and it dims great. I haven't noticed any ill-effects on the strips and its been over a year.

The meanwell HLG drivers each have several versions; if you go with them, you'll want the driver with "B" at the end of the model number, as it has leads that you can connect a 100k potentiometer to provide the dimming. In actuality, it better to use a 120k pot. because many 100k pots top out between 5-15% less than 100k, which means you wont be able to max out your drivers output for when u are in full veg.

OakyJoe

OGJoe / Wiener und kein Allemann
Veteran
Usually Meanwell has 2 kinds of drivers, the non and dimmables

Dimmable
hlg-240h-48a.jpg

Nondimmable
MEAN-WELL-240W-48V-dimmable-LED-Driver.jpg_350x350.jpg

Koondense

Veteran
These are both dimmable, the HLG-H series has two main options for dimming, internal potentiometer(A version) or with external dimming options(B version).

Cheers

G

I made myself do some learning on this. Just today my Meanwell HLG 40H-24A was delivered. The second light from HLG I intended to use for the clone dome spot with the HLG 40H-24 driver instead of the one that comes with it arrived couple days ago. I need to stop by my local electronics shop to pick up a few barrel connectors and a 100K pot to try and see if I can also make the one I first bought for my mom/rooted clones box will dim with just the 100K pot installed in series in the cable I’m going to make like an extension cable to try it. I’m not too worried about needing a 120K pot since these are for clones and moms in one spot and a clone dome in another so these won’t be used as part of a actual grow.
Will throw up a couple pics if it works.

Koondense

Veteran
There are even more powerful versions ;)
But keep in mind with high power usually comes high voltage so pay extra attention on cables an joints insulation.

Cheers

budlover123

I'm pretty sure all these modern constant current LED's are dimmable and are dimmed by decreasing the current output, which is why typically it is done the most reliably through the driver. Some drivers are externally dimmable like the ones built into dimmable led light bulbs, but according to electricians I've spoke to which dimmer works with which brands bulb is a bit of a crap shoot. So all LEDs are dimmable, not all drivers are dimmable, I'm pretty sure. Than there's the PWM dimming, that's a whole other thing, basically dimming by flashing quickly. Probably not ideal for growing.

Last edited:

budlover123

I made myself do some learning on this. Just today my Meanwell HLG 40H-24A was delivered. The second light from HLG I intended to use for the clone dome spot with the HLG 40H-24 driver instead of the one that comes with it arrived couple days ago. I need to stop by my local electronics shop to pick up a few barrel connectors and a 100K pot to try and see if I can also make the one I first bought for my mom/rooted clones box will dim with just the 100K pot installed in series in the cable I’m going to make like an extension cable to try it. I’m not too worried about needing a 120K pot since these are for clones and moms in one spot and a clone dome in another so these won’t be used as part of a actual grow.
Will throw up a couple pics if it works.

Pretty sure just installing a pot in seriers WILL NOT work, I did that once a long time ago and all the arching in the potentiometer was pretty but it failed in a big way, pretty sure it won't work on the AC or the DC side. be careful with that test, I wouldn't even try it to be honest but I don't know for sure. Doesn't that driver come with built in potentiomers for dimming?

G

Pretty sure just installing a pot in seriers WILL NOT work, I did that once a long time ago and all the arching in the potentiometer was pretty but it failed in a big way, pretty sure it won't work on the AC or the DC side. be careful with that test, I wouldn't even try it to be honest but I don't know for sure. Doesn't that driver come with built in potentiomers for dimming?
Nope. The one that came with it was a non dimmable driver. I didnt get the pot for the one I use for my small mom box and its fine the way it is. The one I did buy for my small clone/cutting/seed starting area works fine. Biggest problem with the area was its not too tall and heat even with an LED less than a couple inches from the top of the higher dome was in the low 90's and dimming it down a bit put it around 80. Already started some cuts just for practice to make sure its good. Going to be starting some seeds of SourD in a few weeks soon as current grow in tent is done.

HLG shows that small led panel out of stock now and Im kind of surprised they have not restocked it yet.

dimodz

Elite StrainCloneHunter
Veteran
420giveaway
yeah sure we have only [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]dimmable driver in stock :tiphat:
[/FONT]

Latest posts

Latest posts