What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Portable AC's

Tonygreen

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Any advice or anyone with experience using these? I see some mentioning dehumidifier function so they fill up with water?

Looking for one to use to cool 2k w HPS

5th

Veteran
Mine was a Danby 12K BTU 3 in 1. A/C, dehuey, think the other function was a fan.

It cooled 1200w in a basement. It would have cooled 2000w of this I'm sure. :chin: ...my ambient temps were pretty cool though...

Dehuey worked great. Had to elevate the unit so I could use a rubbermaid to catch the run off though.

What exactly do ya want to know?

Yesca73

I was looking into buying one but I didnt.
Whynter got good reviews
I was gonna get an LG form Holmes DePOT but they had mixed reviews
went with a window unit instead
I did buy one at costco a few years ago , it was delongani brand . It worked ok and used alot of power. I ended up returning it .

Granger2

Veteran
Almost all portables are seriously inefficient. Many pump smell out, which is a deal breaker if nothing else is. Good luck. -granger

5th

Veteran
Almost all portables are seriously inefficient. Many pump smell out, which is a deal breaker if nothing else is.

This is true.

Personally efficiency isn't high on my list of priority's when growing weed.
I did however fashion a simple carbon scrubber. Was easy because the exhausted heat was obviously cycled first from the intake, which was pulling ambient stinky air from the grow room.

I did this as I was pumping the exhausted heat from the growroom back into the houses HVAC system n' didn't want the house reeking of bud.

Not only do they pump out smell, but they heat up the smell so that its much more pronounced and pungent.

I used on for 2 years, and my garage (where I vented to) always smelled. Fortunately I have very few friends, the lifelong ones, that come over from time to time. If at all possible, these should be avoided.

I did run the exhaust through a scrubber, and if failed repeatedly and didn't have enough life. It got expensive and just not sustainable as an option.

Tonygreen

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Almost all portables are seriously inefficient. Many pump smell out, which is a deal breaker if nothing else is. Good luck. -granger

Was chatting with the bloke at the shop today about em, he said the same thing, dont get one with just the one tube, he said get one that has an intake tube and a exhaust tube separate or ill be blasting out unfiltered stinky air from the grow room.

Hadnt even thought of that and i was eye-ing just that single hose type.

What do you think about a single exhaust type with a cann33 scrubber on the end of the exhaust? I thought prolly thee hot air will be bad so no go. Lookin up those two tube types now.,

Tonygreen

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Not only do they pump out smell, but they heat up the smell so that its much more pronounced and pungent.

I used on for 2 years, and my garage (where I vented to) always smelled. Fortunately I have very few friends, the lifelong ones, that come over from time to time. If at all possible, these should be avoided.

I did run the exhaust through a scrubber, and if failed repeatedly and didn't have enough life. It got expensive and just not sustainable as an option.

Was that the single exhaust type or the one with an intake and an exhaust?

Lesterburnum

Even the two tube ones pump hot stinky air out. Unless you put a motorized scrubber in em.
But they do work good. Ran one for two years. I put ona in the exhaust. Had to replenish the ona often.

Was that the single exhaust type or the one with an intake and an exhaust?

Single. Got to the point where the thing was running non stop and the carbon filter I had on it had to be replaced a lot. The humidity that ran out the exhaust just wrecked the filters. I'm going with a mini split.

But. It did the job. And it did it for 2 years.

Tonygreen

ICMag Donor
Veteran
...dual hose units feature two air intakes and one outtake hose. The air intake pulls air from the room, cools it, and then returns it back into the room. This process heats up the unit, so another intake hose takes air from outside to cool the unit down. The second hose expels all warm air back outside. Dual hose systems are more efficient in larger settings.

from: http://www.achooallergy.com/five-things-portable-air-conditioner.asp

Seems like thats the way to go but you say it still stinks eh

Smelly_Cheese

I've owned 3 and would never buy another. Mostly for the same reasons others stated. Super unefficient , leaks odor worse than anything, very hard to filter but also unreliable. I actually had 5 if u count the two replacements. Had duel and single hose. But the fact that none of them could keep a room with1k light cool enough and I'm talking 12000 btu but a 8000btu wall unit for $250 was much much better. My advice is cut a hole and use a window unit if possible. If your must use one get atleast double the btus you would for a wall. And don't buy a cheap one. Mine were all $500 plus and cost atleast double the electricity as a wall until

Tonygreen

ICMag Donor
Veteran
How long would you reckon a can33 would last until it was trashed attached to the exhaust?

Tonygreen

ICMag Donor
Veteran
I've owned 3 and would never buy another. Mostly for the same reasons others stated. Super unefficient , leaks odor worse than anything, very hard to filter but also unreliable. I actually had 5 if u count the two replacements. Had duel and single hose. But the fact that none of them could keep a room with1k light cool enough and I'm talking 12000 btu but a 8000btu wall unit for $250 was much much better. My advice is cut a hole and use a window unit if possible. If your must use one get atleast double the btus you would for a wall. And don't buy a cheap one. Mine were all $500 plus and cost atleast double the electricity as a wall until

If you rig a window unit like you suggest how do you deal with the leaking water? I could sit on on a milk crate and cut a hole in my panda film and seal possibly?

Tonygreen

ICMag Donor
Veteran
What if I had the portable in a separate room and just blew the cold air into the grow area maybe?

I cant have no smell leaking and I cant put an AC in this weird funky ass crank handle window in the room....

Smelly_Cheese

Also if u run one that self evaperates the water be aware when they run hard if the water fills they will shut down till u drain. And I mean even the ones that say no draining needed cause they self evaporate.you should take the plug out and run a drain tube . Nothing like walking in your room to find the ac shut down hours earlier.