What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Any opinions on King's Kush?

Grobot2010

I have some King's Kush from Kush Kush Seeds, and I am thinking that I'll try them in my next run.

From what I've been able to gather they are OG Kush crossed with Grape Ape which is supposed to be one of the Grandaddy Purple phenotypes out there. If all of this is true, then they are pretty high on my priority list of things to get in the garden.

Any opinions on this strain or corrections to this information would be greatly appreciated.

L

LumpStatus

Og kush and grape ape are great, so the cross may provide good results...however, Grape ape and granddaddy purple are not related. Dont know a lot about grape ape but the real granddaddy purple comes from a guy named ken estes who was gifted the clone 25+ years ago by his "indian friends". Gdp comes from the same genetics as original skunk genetics believe it or not. There are no other known phenos of gdp. There is no purple urkel nor big bud in gdp as many believe.

Grobot2010

Damn... ok... maybe it's not going to be next. The Grape Ape/GDP connection was what put it up on my radar.

I was looking at the information from the kindgreenbuds strain library, and according to them the GDP from Apothecary is:

"Granddaddy Purple (GDP)

Indica
Origins - Northern California
Flowering - 60 days
Harvest - Mid October

Apothecary specializes in creating medical strains. They have been growing and refining this all-indica variety for five years. Her ancestors have grown in the hills of Northern California for over two decades, where her phenotypes have been known by many different names including Grape Ape, Purple Erkel, and Grandaddy Grape Ape...."

The same website's entry for King's Kush from Greenhouse Seed Company says:

"King's Kush

Indica-dominant
Origins - OG Kush x Grape Ape
Potency - THC 19%

...King's Kush is one of their gems, and is famous for its productivity and powerful, fiery smell. It is a hybrid of a clone of the strain that put Southern California on the map OG Kush and a Grape Ape original clone. This strain seems to take on more of the Kush traits..."

Unfortunately, I have King's Kush from Kush Kush Seeds and I can't find any information directly from them and the Seed Bank source didn't have very complete information either.

I'll probably just take King's Kush and my next top choice and flip a coin then.

Last edited by a moderator:

40AmpstoFreedom

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Kings Kush sucks. I do not believe the genetics listed are at all what was used. There is 0 grape ape in that shit at all. I was really pissed GHS did this AGAIN with another strain. It smells like nasty ass used cooking grease and if you have ever been to the back of a restaurant where the used grease storage container is then you know exactly how unattractive that smell is.

I grew out a little over 10 still have a lot more beans of it left because when I bought it I thought GHS was over doing the whole we'll name it whatever to sell it gig but this one pissed me off. Absolutely love their Cheese, LSK, and SLH but this one is ridiculous. Yield is terrible. Smell is very strong which is good. It will turn cool shades of purple that is about all this strain has to do with grape though. I have a grow log of it in GHS forum it is the huge thread where I grew SLH and LSK etc in as well. Towards the end you will find it.

I am not at all a GHS hater by any means but I do call a spade a spade when I see one.

Edit: I would HIGHLY recommend you try Spice of Life's OGK x Blue Satellite 2.2. The best phenos have a godly sweet berry smell and a perfect REAL OGK smell. One of the best OGK crosses I have smoked. Flavor and smell is unbelievable on the right phenos you won't even need to show people the bud just light it up the smoke smells insane.

Last edited:

Adrift

Veteran
ive smoked some before, was a very stoney indica, but did not have much flavor ...

great weed for relaxing but idk, it def didnt stand out or anything, just melllow indica ...

im sure there are better pheno's to be found tho! good luck :joint:

daheadies

poppin' outta control
Og kush and grape ape are great, so the cross may provide good results...however, Grape ape and granddaddy purple are not related. Dont know a lot about grape ape but the real granddaddy purple comes from a guy named ken estes who was gifted the clone 25+ years ago by his "indian friends". Gdp comes from the same genetics as original skunk genetics believe it or not. There are no other known phenos of gdp. There is no purple urkel nor big bud in gdp as many believe.

wtf.. gdp is not PU x BB ??

Grobot2010

Kings Kush sucks. I do not believe the genetics listed are at all what was used. There is 0 grape ape in that shit at all. I was really pissed GHS did this AGAIN with another strain. It smells like nasty ass used cooking grease and if you have ever been to the back of a restaurant where the used grease storage container is then you know exactly how unattractive that smell is.

Hahahaha... HELL YEAH, I know what that smell is all about! My first job at age 15 was as a cook at Kentucky Fried Chicken, and that rancid fryer oil out back is UNMISTAKABLE, so if you detected anything like that, I can imagine that you are spot on about the aroma since it is a really unique and unpleasant odor! Thank you for the input and I'll definitely be checking out your GHS grow thread ASAP.

There's one little bitty issue that is making me still curious about popping these seeds... They are from this Kush Kush Seeds breeder rather than GHS, so I may have something that turns out to be significantly different from the rancid cooking oil experience that you had. I'm still leaning towards a coin toss, but maybe it should be a roll of the dice instead, where running King's Kush next is not a 50/50 option (since the strain sounds like it has less and less of what I really want)!

40AmpstoFreedom

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Apothecary is GHS supplier for the beans so I am guessing they are the same because the description is just like GHS and Apothecary's. It seems apothecary makes a shit ton of beans and just sells to people who like to come off like they actually did the work or know whats inside. I don't even think those companies even grew it out for themselve$ cuz if they did they wouldn't be trying to rep it like it is theirs. GL

Grobot2010

Yeah, mine are from Kush Kush Seeds, but they don't seem to have a website anywhere that I can find and the limited information on the retailer's website had it down as Grape x OG Kush (their description is no longer on the site either because it's out of stock and I think that I was the one who got the last seed pack they had). I don't know anything about Grape and wondered if it was a typo where they just omitted the Ape in Grape Ape. I was hoping that the strain library description was more reflective of what I had.

Since my seeds are from a different breeder, I think that I'll go ahead and run them and keep an eye out for the rancid fryer oil situation that 40AmpstoFreedom described. If there's no winner among them, then I won't bother keeping any moms or anything and call it a lesson learned about breeder's descriptions versus grower's results.

40AmpstoFreedom

ICMag Donor
Veteran
It was just grape in GHS description too. I think they tried to say it was Grape Ape. It was right around the time it was getting a lot of buzz. Run them it will still sell it is an indica stone just not at all what one would think when reading the description.

fvasquez

The King's Kush I got from collectives in SoCal is nothing like what you described there. It's more of a Bubba or Affie. Looks great, dense nugs, smell is like a Bubba or Affie as I mentioned, and the stone is decent. Can't remember if it was the King's Kush or the Death Star that gave me some insane bouts of paranoia, but it was definitely one (or both) of them.

I think GHS may have just ripped the name off from a clone-only SoCal strain and then made up the genetics as well.

I

Iron_Lion

From what I've been able to gather they are OG Kush crossed with Grape Ape .

Take that with a grain of salt, GHS are notorious for being bullshit artists.

Look at their strain descriptions and you will see they are full of shit.

Friend

Veteran
i've grown GHS kings kush and i agree with everything 40A said. it sucked... weak high, pathetic resin production, and it tasted like shit. like old stale vegetable oil thats been sitting in your pantry for 15 years. i never bought another pack of GHS seeds after my experience with this terrible strain.

i have also grown GHS kings kush and their bubba kush - now let me say ive been growin pre 98 bubba for 3 years now its been my favorite flav for many more years then that...both of these GHS strains are terrible, nightmarish-ly bad and its cause they SUCK - FUCK GHS, fuckin rippin off other peoples hard work and slappin the GHS label on to make a few bucks -

EVERYONE -
STOP BUYIN GHS SEEDS - PLEASE
(hope the kush kush seeds co. is more on their shit and hope she treats you well)

L

LumpStatus

wtf.. gdp is not PU x BB ??

Not the real deal clone only gdp...the kens gdp. Skunk genetics. Ken told me first hand...

But there are other strains that have been called grandaddy purp but there is only one real deal gdp and that's kens... granddaddypurp.com

G

greenmatter

i grew a kings kush free been from GHS ......... i was not impressed at all. i was was kind of pissed off to be honest! i hope you get a better pheno than i did.

my $0.02...stay away from GHS feminized seeds. I haven't been doing this for too long but have quickly learned fem seeds are for suckers. I've gotten them from GHS, Kannabia, and DinaFem and will never crack a fem seed again. I'm not knocking the breeders, jus the product.

Nah knock the breeders for selling their crap. The criticism needs to be out there so people dont make the same mistake we have. With all the time, MONEY, and resources these "breeders" have the end product should be so much better. Especially in GHSC case.

mr.brunch

Veteran
ghs dont claim any breeding of these apothecary strains, they are just femming clones from them... i heard apothecary had some bad times so they sold to ghs, dont know how true this is.
my point is they are just selling the seeds as sold to them by apothecary, with their strain descriptions used sooo maybe gh should be spared the regulation flaming on this issue ?

$0.02