What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Cold temps at night a problem during flowering?

hlep

my cab is about 70F during the day, but since it has gotten colder....it is hitting 55-60F at night when the lights are off.

i'm currently mid flower and i'm just wondering if the cold night temps could harm anything.

stinkyattic

her dankness
Veteran
Yes. You can really screw up your roots by exposing them to cold wet soil, especially if the ph is even a little off.
Time to get a heater going, or move the cab to a balmier climate.

FRIENDinDEED

A FRIEND WITH WEED IS A . . .
Veteran
im glad i saw this, cause in a partnership grow with a friend right now. he mentored with a guy that taught him hydro and at some point the guy dropped teh temps in his rez to help produce more resin.

my friend says it worked and wanted to try it with the grow that we are doing together. of course i practically had to belt it out to him , after saying calmly so many times, that were doing soil and not hydro so you cant do the same things in one that you do in the other.

some of the things this cat wants to do with the main grow really scares me, but anyway, yeah, stay away from temp fluctuations during flower!! in soil, it will defintely slow if not stop things to a halt!!

hlep

thanks for the quick replies. sorry i forgot to mention that i am growing organically in soil.

i'm usually like it pretty cold so i enjoy the winter alot...but with this info, i'll go ahead and set my thermostat to 65F so the heater kicks in if it drops below.

Thule

Dr. Narrowleaf
Veteran
I wouldn't necessarily agree with lower temps being harmful..

Yes it might slow things up a bit, but it's nothing the plants haven't gotten used to. I've seen plants taking up to -12 degrees celcius and survive, I've seen plants spending almost a week in freezing temperatures and survive. If they have time to adapt, they won't mind a little cold.

I actually think cooler nights might actually be beneficial. Cold prevents the degradation of thc and forces the plant to increase the concentration of sugars and other stuff in it's tissues. Some outdoor growers say they won't even think about harvesting before the plants have gone thru some cold periods and traditional afghani hashplants are left to ripen until january and frequently face snowfall.. Cold temps can cause the plants to go red, but this is by no means harmful and actually makes for better tasting buds with the clorophyl gone..

FRIENDinDEED

Veteran
ok i gotta admit, after posting here i have been trolling and noticed alot of other people are getting the whole "trichome's are packing on" thing after dealing with lowered temps.

in respect to this thread my question is, are we talking about temps being lowered near the root zone or temps in the overall grow space? can i water with chilled or cold water in an organic soil and experience this or would i just water as normal and concentrate on the ambient temps of the space?

does anyone know if there is a certain point in time during flowering that temps should/ could be lowered (last couple weeks, during entire grow)?

i am dealing with low temps now and the most i thought was that it would help cool down my ballasts, but if there are other benefits to cooler or full on cold temps then how can they be implemented?

Last edited:

stinkyattic

her dankness
Veteran
I'd concentrate on dropping ambient temps when you are already close to harvest so as not to lose yield, and running SnowStorm as directed. Stressing plants with cold soil conditions may possibly increase frost, but may also kill or hermi your plants. You can improve frost by running frosty genetics, adding snowstorm, or treating with molasses... or all three!

Plant metabolism is a series of chemical reactions.
Chemical reactions are temperature dependent.
There is a range at which the metabolism of plants is working at its most efficient.
Your call.

FRIENDinDEED

Veteran
stinkyattic said:
I'd concentrate on dropping ambient temps when you are already close to harvest so as not to lose yield, and running SnowStorm as directed. Stressing plants with cold soil conditions may possibly increase frost, but may also kill or hermi your plants. You can improve frost by running frosty genetics, adding snowstorm, or treating with molasses... or all three!

Plant metabolism is a series of chemical reactions.
Chemical reactions are temperature dependent.
There is a range at which the metabolism of plants is working at its most efficient.

Your call.
this is what ive always understood to be fact and have always fed with molasses, especially adding a lil more during those last couple weeks of flower.

i admit that my last harvest was during/ right before the coldest temps hit and its the reason why i chopped when i did. i remember watering and coming back to check on things a good while after and the soil was hard, as in frozen, so i chopped the day after.

i chopped because of the cold thinking that those chemical reactions would be halted. i know enzymatic reactions are pretty much unstoppable, but the other things can come to a complete halt in too cold of temperatures.

so i am curious as to think was my potency/ aroma/ stickiness from my last grow due to the cold temps,the molasses, my growing prowess (lol, had to toss that in) or all three.

stinkyattic

her dankness
Veteran
You are just the Master Grower obviously!!! :D
I'm voting for a combination of factors. Sugar supplements are a GREAT cheap frost booster.

B.C.

Non Conformist
Veteran
Cold temps can affect the up take and use of phosphorous. Maybe others too? I can't remember right off hand. BC

paulobaca

From my understanding colder temps lead to more sticky resin on the flowers but can reduce yield once you start getting under around 65f.

My stuff comes out pretty sticky and I attribute alot of it to mainly to genetics and low temps because I always run AC. My night temps get down around 60f. I think low temps make a big difference.

Y

yamaha_1fan

hlep said:
um...i'm already mid flower =/

If you wanted, you could just leave the lights off an extra 12 hours to change the cycle. Shouldnt be an issue

GET MO

Registered Med User
Veteran
my temps were getting really low, in the 40s, then even hit 30 a few nights in a row. It slowed everything down. Now Im on week 10 of a 8 weeks strain and it looks like i got at least another week to go.

chronosync

Well-stoned member
Same here. I put a small heater and root temps dont go below 60 now. I think my coldest night was 35f. !!!

It was -18f outside here last night.

Welp im on week 10 too and im still seeing new white hairs and clear trichs. Nary an amber trich to be seen.

Granted ive got three strains and never ran any one of them. Surprisingly the SLH seems the closest and shes got thin leaves...

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest posts