What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

100w cfl Stealth Grow

GanjaLion

Thanks zaprjaques! I probably spend too much time reading about it hehe, but ganja growing is my favorite anyway so it works out. I definitely prefer feeding the soil and let the soil feed the plant, instead of trying to bypass all of that and just directly feed the plant with chemical fertilizer.

Going to have a veg and lighting update with some plant training in a few days im hoping!

GanjaLion

Havent update this in a while, I decided to run this gorrilla glue variant again. This time without Jack herer (I still have jack bonsai mom'd) and using only one of the two 3 gallon living soil pots. It is living soil, so the other pot still does get watered also to be kept alive, even though there isnt a cannabis plant in there.

Took a healthy clone and bent her over with a light super crop after she rooted in the 3 gallon pot and some lst to spread her out to the light.

20210514_224830.jpg

Like most of the gmo cookie varieties she stretches a good deal, but her bud to leaf ratio is amazing and shes just coated in resin during flowering

20210513_081839.jpg

She got underwatered earlier in veg so you can see those issues showing on a couple of leaves, but now shes in full beast mode hehe just pushing vegetation like crazy. Her color is really lush on her new leaves and not papery feeling at all.

At the moment she is vegging under 120watts of cfl (75 watts 5000k and 45 watts 2700k). I keep a bluer spectrum the first few weeks of flower to prevent massive stretching (Pic below is Day1 flower), this is more similar to summer and why outdoor plants seem to stretch less.

(The plant in the background behind the pots is the mother plant. Shes in a way too small pot and growing over 3ft and over the lights hehe, shes going to be cloned into a bunch of new moms and removed)

20210701_095716.jpg

GanjaLion

Ok, I know the setup looks post apocalyptic hah but it manages to keep perfect vpd 95% of the time. Approaching week 3 of flower, using 173 watt of cfl. Got 1 105watt 2700k that uses a e39 socket, 1 45watt also 2700k, and 1 23 watt 5500k.

The chunk of paper towels soaked in water you see hanging is too keep the humidity up in the canopy, the light helps evaporate it and the fans blow it around

I bent over all her tops and put her into flower is why she has that octopus shape, she wouldve been too big if i waited for the canopy to fill in before hitting the switch.

Last run her colas were flopping over big time, if I get a good yield im going to turn it all into bubble hash, This strain is perfect for extracts.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20210722_014643.jpg Views:	0 Size:	66.4 KB ID:	17903492

GanjaLion

Shes starting to button up, Id say about 6 more weeks until shes finishes flowering on this strain she goes about 9 weeks +

20210726_220714.jpg

Shes got some early frost

20210726_221044_001.jpg

GanjaLion

I wasnt happy with the heat and the bud structure this run so I chopped early, I let the soil dry out gradually so that the trichomes that were there would ripen quicker. Ill still freeze these buds and do a run of fresh frozen water hash at some point to collect the trichomes cause there is a decent amount on there.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20210813_184341.jpg Views:	0 Size:	45.6 KB ID:	17919216

So I decided to stuff a High Output t5 in there instead, its almost half the watts and I get about 40000 lux 3-4 inches down. Got great even coverage on it too no hotspots, its a little bit jammed in there but it fits hehe

Click image for larger version  Name:	20210813_234354.jpg Views:	0 Size:	47.9 KB ID:	17919217

Possibly ill be running another clone of the gmo, also thinking about buying a few new seeds. I have a few crosses in mind that I want to put together eventually

Attachments

• 20210813_184341.jpg
    20210813_184341.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 53
Last edited:

GanjaLion

Update on the water hash, got about 2 grams or so id say of some very sticky and melty hash. Not a bad yield, it looked like I used alot but it wasnt dried or cured bud it was fresh frozen and chopped early.

Even after freezing it solid, it just turned to gooey oil when I tried to chop it up to dry it. I was originally going to rosin it, but its pretty decent quality to just use as is.

20210817_203545.jpg
20210817_231800.jpg

20210818_013156.jpg
20210818_014548.jpg

Attachments

• 20210818_013156.jpg
    20210818_013156.jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 58
  • 20210818_013156.jpg
    20210818_013156.jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 59
  • 20210818_014548.jpg
    20210818_014548.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 65

Greenheart

Veteran
Got my start with CFL/t8's in a shower stall. Built an adjustable rail on a pole with 8 of those big CFL's 105 actual watt draw each.

!!!CAUTION!!!

If you ever see a ballast on one of the super sized CFL's go pop in front of you it might make you rethink ever using them again. That is all I will say about that.

Last edited:

GanjaLion

Hey Greenheart, for sure I definitely agree with you. Ive seen a few stories of people wanting to put multiple thousands of cfl in small closets, extremeley dangerous and should never be done.

Im always conscious of how much stress I put on the circuit, playing with overloading electricity is never worth the possible outcome.

There is always a good way to deliver proper lighting to your plants without putting your life at risk is for sure. Ive personally never had one burst but I use the proper ceramic e39 mogul base and use proper precaution.

Im no longer using those giant bulbs, im really liking these high output t5s. I use half the wattage and get an even higher lux and more even coverage on the canopy. They are also more low profiler so I have more vertical grow space.

GanjaLion

Got some reveg action, I saved some of the lowers to reveg and make some clones.

Im trying to make some room for a breeding project. So ill just clone these and keep them in bonsai stasis, keeping 20-24 hrs of light on them in my cloning chamber.

20210828_123728.jpg

One is in a 3 gallon fabric pot and the other is just an old mom I flowered in an old milk carton.

This strain revegs and clones faster than any other strain I ever grew, It started revegging under 24 hours of light in 4-6 days. Before my hash even dried fully haha

20210828_123448.jpg

A few of the crosses that I think would be tasty to play around with hehe. I will get into explaining on how I plan on crossing them in later posts, after these revegs are big enough to clone and store in another chamber.

Not all of these are going to be crossed together, but a few are. Will explain deeper my goal and the process later hehe

20210826_162807.jpg

Attachments

• 20210828_123728.jpg
    20210828_123728.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 53

GanjaLion

Thanks Greenheart! This particular strain I notice is able to change its hormones very quickly, it roots very fast and revegs very fast. Its able to adapt quickly.

GMO cookies is very sensitive to light, I only have 2 bulbs on at 20000 lux and shes praying strong but I can see its slightly too much light.

It makes sense to me GMO is sensitive to light, since is name is GARLIC MUSHROOMS and ONIONS hehe. Think about it garlic and onions grow under the ground in low light and mushrooms grow in the shade. So to me based on its terpene profile and the other plants it smells like, it makes sense that she prefers less light.

But overall she is hauling ass and growing strong, I already took 6 clones before I took this pic and she still looks bushy.

Going to be crossing the blue cheese and francos lemon cheese (rip) in a bit, stay ready!

20211015_235247.jpg

#1cheesebuds

Veteran
Got my start with CFL/t8's in a shower stall. Built an adjustable rail on a pole with 8 of those big CFL's 105 actual watt draw each.

!!!CAUTION!!!

If you ever see a ballast on one of the super sized CFL's go pop in front of you it might make you rethink ever using them again. That is all I will say about that.

I agree. I once many years ago i accidentally cough on a big cfl bulb and some spit landed on the glass and it exploded. Lucky for me i wasn't close enough to catch any of the glass shrapnel. Soon after that i was looking to get led bulbs.

GanjaLion

Hey cheese, if your using fresh material for the water hash it needs to be frozen solid first:

1. You mix the buds with cold water and alot of ice in a container for about 10-15 mins (the water should turn a golden trichomey creamy color).

2. After you finish mixing, run all that material through a strainer into another container, filtering out the buds and ice from the trichome water.

3. Let your trichome laden water sit for a minute and let the trichomes fall to the bottom and then skim any small leaf material contaminant off the top of the water with a fine strainer.

4. Siphon out half the water after your trichomes settle to the bottom, so it takes less time to filter the final step through the coffee filter

5. Pour the trichome water you have left through the coffee filter and collect.

6. Freeze the hash and chop it up with a razor blade so it can dry properly and not get moldy.

The GMO is exploding, but I have what I need from her already. I got 6 rooted clones, so im just going to cull this plant and bonsai all of those clones into moms while I work on new genetics. Possible ill self this plant down the road and turn it into a feminized seed also, just to have a back up.

Going to be crossing Blue Cheese x Franco Loja's Lemon Cheese and if I feel like its lacking potency im going to cross the Cheeselicious into it cause thats got OG in it. Ill keep a few moms of the standouts and probably explore there lines individually by making S1 and then outcrossing them to each other.

20211022_085616.jpg

Attachments

• 20211022_085742.jpg
    20211022_085742.jpg
    19.5 KB · Views: 59

GanjaLion

Got some Barney's Blue Cheese popping up above the clover sprouts.

Got the lights on full blast for heat purposes, but they are raised about 2 feet up. They are getting 9,000 - 10,000 lux for the moment.

When the lights are off I have a reptile heater attached to some thick glass coasters on a timer, to maintain good nighttime temps

20211030_204835.jpg

The GMO clones are all rooted, Ill post later on how to turn them into bonsais after they are rooted really good

piramidon

recidivist icmag - OUT-ist convins - microgrower
Veteran
I never thought to make hash before, buying special mesh and shit... but thanks to your method I most certainly will. Household items only, I love it!
Thanks man. :tiphat:

GanjaLion

Hey piramidon, thanks I hope it comes out great!

I try to make sure all the ice cubes have been frozen for 24 - 48 hours so they are very dense and sharp, also the cannabis if its fresh it needs to be frozen 2 days also so the trichome is hard and not squishy cause its live still. Use as much ice as you can but make sure its not impossible to stir it.
The fresh cannabis always makes more sticky and terpy hash but its always harder to work with when it comes to breaking up the final product.

Lights are off for the next 5 hours on the Blue Cheese seedlings, going to try and post an update on them later they are looking nice!

piramidon

recidivist icmag - OUT-ist convins - microgrower
Veteran
Got it, all process memorised and checked today (writed down from memory) to make sure it's still in the attic. :biggrin:
Thanks again and thanks to cheesebuds as well for asking, otherwise I would've missed it. :tiphat:

GanjaLion

Haha nice piramadon perfect, my pleasure! It can be further processed into rosin at that point too, if its not melty enough and you want to dab it. Most of the time its pretty potent and melty as is, to smoke.

The Barneys Blue Cheese girls are doing good, despite being underwatered a little too long hehe. I had to prop the one on the left up with the quartz, she fell over when the soil got too dry,

Its a living soil atleast. so if its dry some microbes and organisms die off thats free water/nutrients for the seedlings to drink from there bodies anyway so its forgiving. I also keep a good humidity with the fans on timers so that helped them pull through the drier day or 2. Still crucial time for a seedling a day or 2 of drought hehe. Im going to set up irrigation soon. Everything looks good again though!

20211110_125249.jpg

20211110_125105.jpg

20211110_125113.jpg

GanjaLion

The gmo clones are growing fast in the other chamber, almost ready to start the bonsai process. This update is more of a product warning than a clone update though.

Proceed with caution if your going to use this sungro Black Gold peat moss/perlite mix, I got thrip damage after I rooted my clones in it.

I noticed in my main chamber some thrips damage also after I brought this product but thankfully only on the cover crop, the epidermis on the seedlings is way tougher than the clover so as long as the clover is there, they will eat that over the cannabis seedlings cause its easier. But my clone chamber doesnt have clovers in there so they are getting chewed up.

Going to make a peppermint tea and wipe down the leaves with it, and also spraying with epsom salt after that dries. Burn up those soft bodies as best as I can, they should be all gone soon!

20211115_184159.jpg
20211115_184310.jpg

20211115_184336.jpg
20211115_184425.jpg

Going to take some new picture of the blue cheeselings when the lights come back on