What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Water temperatures

Just starting to think a bit about water temperatures and what others are doing. I hand water in promix, and now the weather is cooling off a bit, my water seems to be at around 60 f. Seems a bit cool to me, is that gonna hurt or shock anything? If so what type of heaters do you use to raise the water temp?

Ktaadn

60 degrees F water is perfectly fine to water with. I water with much colder H20 than that with no ill effects. Room temp is likely best but unless you're doing hydro I wouldn't be too concerned about it.

gladysvjubb

Veteran
My Aunt Margaret got me started when I was a little kid. Growing African Violets. She taught me to always water with slightly warm water. Been doing it ever since to all my plants.

Creeperpark

Mentor
Veteran
temporary water wilt

temporary water wilt

If you put your water in your living room in a 5 gallon bucket 24 hrs before you water, it would be better. When I match my room temps with the plants in pots they don't wilt very much, just after watering. If I use colder water than the soil temps my indicas will wilt for a long while. Sometimes taking 12 hrs to recover. Its doesn't bother some growers! It does me.

Ok. Thanks for the input. I don't seem to be having any problems with the cooler water yet, but it has been cooling off quite a bit lately. I may try to put my buckets in the grow room and see how that works out. So do you find that you RH increases much with the water sitting in the grow room?

St. Phatty

Cold water is supposed to absorb oxygen better.

If you're up to the extra routine, bubblers in the cold water is even better.

Creeperpark

Mentor
Veteran
No

No

It doesn't change the humidity. I like to keep a large open bucket in my grow. I have to be careful and not have any accidental spills. I try to keep it full all the time!

Beauty. Thanks for all the responses. I haven't noticed any problems yet, so I think I'll just continue doing what I'm doing for now. I was just a little concerned because the temperature dropped quite a bit over the last few weeks.