What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Seeds from male or female plants?

Strain_Selektah

I have recently become very interested in strain preservation and breeding. My goal is to collect strains from breeders I respect and eventually open pollinate each strain to preserve a larger sample of the population. My question is, when doing an open pollination of multiple male and females in the same room (same strain), do you collect seeds from the fertilized female plants or the males? Is there a difference in the seeds? If I grew out only males and flowered them, would they produce seeds and would they be worth anything? Thank you in advance

AgentPothead

Just this guy, ya know?
Male plants produce pollen, female plants produce inflorescence that gets pollinated by the male pollen and then produces seeds. If you want seeds off a male you will need to reverse it's sex and then pollinate the branch that flowers. Also the book in my signature is a great read, Marijuana Botany An Advanced Study The Propagation & Breeding of Distinctive Cannabis

Last edited:

MJPassion

Observer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
May I suggest obtaining a copy of Robert Connell Clarke's, Marijuana Botany.
Read that and you'll come back a much more enlightened individual about the various aspects of cannabis.

It's a relatively short read. Should only take a couple days to read, maybe a few days at most.

Then when your done with that there are several other publications you should probably obtain. Many are already in .pdf form floating around the net for free, the above included.

If you're not previously a gardener, you may find breeding a difficult thing to get into.
It is generally suggested that a person first put in a few seasons learning how to grow.
By doing so, you will learn to identify stellar plants to use for your breeding projects as opposed to using any Toms Dick.

Mendelian math is also helpful in understanding what you are observing in the progeny.
You'll have a difficult time getting anybody to help you with breeding as long as you don't have basic growing information first.

I mean... Your very first question in VERY telling of what you know about cannabis.

AgentPothead

Just this guy, ya know?
may have just been a stoned moment...
Even if not, it's okay to not know something. I used to really get caught up on "knowing" but it doesn't really matter, everybody doesn't know a lot more than they do know. That xkcd puts it succinctly.

ten_thousand.png

Strain_Selektah

Thank you AgentPothead. I have grown outdoors for a few seasons from clone. I will be setting up my indoor room next month, after harvesting my outdoor. Obviously, I plan to grow multiple times indoors before breeding anything but I have begun gathering all the info I need. I have the Marijuana Botany and will be reading that after I finish re-reading Ed Rosenthal's and Jorge Cervante's books. I was simply asking a question and appreciate the legitimate answer. It defeats the purpose of having a forum as a resource if the people who know wanna act all high and mighty rather than share a little wisdom with someone looking to learn.

Guy Brush

ICMag Donor
Veteran
The very first thing you should learn after watering and uppotting is cloning and saving copies of all plants you are growing for the time of the grow until you have evaluated every single plant including test smokes/vape. This forum is packed with growers who regret not having cloned their very first runs and losing special phenos. They still whine many many years after it, me included.

MJPassion

Observer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Jeorge Cervantes is a difficult read to follow & I'd not suggest his books to anybody, but that's just me.

Ed's book is excellent and filled with some of the best information about growing cannabis That I have seen published. It is a complete guide, to growing and breeding, as far as I am concerned.

Greg Green also has a couple publications you may be interested in But I'd be willing to bet that after you've finished reading Eds book everything else you read will be redundant. (not a bad thing because one book backs up another and another)

Stitch has a publication as well. Its small sized and is a great field reference for diagnosing plant issues. It is called MARIJUANA GARDEN SAVER, Handbook for Healthy Plants.

Then there is another book by J.W. McPartland, R.C.C. & D.P. Watson.:
HEMP DISEASES AND PESTS MANAGEMENT AND BIOLOGICAL CONTROL

General gardening books are also as good, for information about pests and disease, as cannabis specific books but may not include pests that only attack cannabis.

Strain_Selektah

That is very good advice. I have taken clones from some of my outdoor plants which will be the first ones I run in my indoor setup. The bud in my profile pic is from a random seed from my in laws who had some northern lights seed up (not sure if it hermied or there was pollen in the neighborhood) and the pink hairs got me interested so I took some cuts as a possible mother in the future. Best genetics out of the 50 seeds we popped earlier this year.

Guy Brush

ICMag Donor
Veteran
That is very good advice. I have taken clones from some of my outdoor plants which will be the first ones I run in my indoor setup. The bud in my profile pic is from a random seed from my in laws who had some northern lights seed up (not sure if it hermied or there was pollen in the neighborhood) and the pink hairs got me interested so I took some cuts as a possible mother in the future. Best genetics out of the 50 seeds we popped earlier this year.

Firstly, you have no profile pic! Then, I don't know if you have understood what I said. When growing from seed you have to make clone copies of ALL of the plants and not just a few if you don't want to be sorry later on...

Strain_Selektah

Firstly, you have no profile pic! Then, I don't know if you have understood what I said. When growing from seed you have to make clone copies of ALL of the plants and not just a few if you don't want to be sorry later on...

Guy Brush. That makes sense. I will definitely do that in the future. Is it still possible to take cuts if they are this deep into flowering?

Also, I uploaded some of the photos of my outdoor garden this year. The main picture of the pink haired nl (as I am referring to it for now) is the plant I was referring to. I took cuts off 3 of the seeds I grew out total but in the future will take from all.