What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

how much extra cal mag do ogs like?

GreaseGardens

I know that ogs like more cal mag than other plants do, but I assume if youre growing in coco it will be even more?
regularly you would feed 3-5 mls / gallon, but with ogs it would be more 6-8ml/gal?

Everything in my garden besides the ogs are happy, and I cant seem to dial the yellowing in on time or at all. IT also seems that they eat more than usual plants.. but I see some nitrogen claw early in flower.. can this be from too much calmag, or base? with ogs should you feed less base more cal mag.. I appreciate any recommendations.
they are in 3 gallon coco pots. strain : skywalker og.,

The gelato and cherry pie all do well, just want to get these ogs dialed in.
thanks for all the help!:tiphat:

MJPassion

Observer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
You probably need Calcium OR Magnesium but I bet not both...

Cal/Mag mixes are probably the issue & will cause your soil to go out of balance. From the numbers I've seen, mostly to the Mg side. Mg in excess will lock out Ca & vice versa.

Show us a pic of the offending leaves/plant & I bet you'll figure it out fairly quickly.

Can we get some pictures?
You gotta keep in mind that true OG is always a bit finicky so they'll take a bit to dial in.

jidoka

Cal/Mag mixes are probably the issue & will cause your soil to go out of balance. From the numbers I've seen, mostly to the Mg side. Mg in excess will lock out Ca & vice versa.

Show us a pic of the offending leaves/plant & I bet you'll figure it out fairly quickly.

winner, winner chicken dinner. ogs like more ca and less K...that extra nitrate and mg just get in your way.

I'm growing some SFV OG now, huge plants, not giving any CalMag just Mg as I'm using Lucas6/9 and they're showing no deficiencies

stoney917

i Am SoFaKiNg WeTod DiD
Veteran
Well the amt of cal mag is dependent on 2 main things, 1. Your base nutes and ratios ur using. 2. What's in your starting water. Ro? Low tap? If tap what ppms of what ...

I use ro water and add 2.5ml per gal with gh base and never get deficiencies on ogs... I would definitely NOT give it more then 5ml 6-8 your asking for problems...

stoney917

i Am SoFaKiNg WeTod DiD
Veteran
Well the amt of cal mag is dependent on 2 main things, 1. Your base nutes and ratios ur using. 2. What's in your starting water. Ro? Low tap? If tap what ppms of what ...

I use ro water and add 2.5ml per gal with gh base and never get deficiencies on ogs... I would definitely NOT give it more then 5ml 6-8 your asking for problems...

Some reason my pics don't show ..

GreaseGardens

thanks passion.
I use the botanicare calmag plus.. is there a product out there you recommend that will be better..ie, more calcium based.
I will try to get some pictures up as soon as I figure it out haha.

GreaseGardens

I just got a cut of fire OG recently and also have cherry pie and a Skywalker OG Hybrid in the same veg room.

I have noticed the fire needs less food and is easier to overwater when young. Roots are thinner and grow slower.

The whole room was getting 1.3-1.4 but then I noticed the glues/OG/chems looking a bit funny so I dialed back to .9-1.0 and they are all looking much better after only a couple days.

The cherry pie/Tangie/sky lotus and some other og hybrids by bodhi all can take the 1.4 with little issue. Hybrid vigor! :)
definitely, the cherry loves more food, shes vigouros from the get go. but these ogs are nothing but picky lil ones haha.. I'm not too familiar with ec reading, I use ppm , do you know what that would equal to?
:tiphat:

GreaseGardens

Some reason my pics don't show ..
thanks stoney,
I use AN coco/ 4m per gallon, and tap water ppm 280-300.. 2.5 seems low, especially since the coco leaches camg out..you use coco as well?

maimunji

Your starting water is high enough on cal mag 300 ppm is actually too much but not too bad you can grow perfectly with this tap.I think you use your basic nutes very diluted and compensate with cal mag.

MJPassion

Observer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
thanks passion.
I use the botanicare calmag plus.. is there a product out there you recommend that will be better..ie, more calcium based.
I will try to get some pictures up as soon as I figure it out haha.

High Ca Agricultural lime.
Avoid dolomite as the Mg levels are way too high.
Rates to be determined by your plants.

However, I just saw the post at the top of this page.
With water that hard you absolutely shouldn't be adding cal/mag unless your plants are asking for it. That water is probably loaded w Ca Bicarbonate. Are you keeping your mediums pH in check?

stoney917

i Am SoFaKiNg WeTod DiD
Veteran
200-300 tap requires 0 cal mag.... As stated by mj above sounds more like a ph issue or the cal mag your adding is causing lock out... If I were you I'd mix a half strength nutes 500ppm max no calmag flush them hard and continue to go minus the cal mag.... If your ph is correct it's to much cal mag...

GreaseGardens

Wow who would of thought! Thanks a ton guys, yeah the water out here is very hard. I will try and just use the base nutes and no calmag unless the plants start asking for it.

The plants were just transplanted into 3 gallon smart pots. Each clone is about 1-2" in height ( smallest I've ever gotten) . Feeding at 500 ppm with the tap being 380 ppm to start with. Do you guys think it would be smarter / better if I just got an Ro filter system , or is it fine using this water ? (I feel like it's too hard) Some guy told me that you should subtract half of the tap waters ppm when adding up your total ppms ( nutes and all) , anybody hear this before?

Attachments

• IMG_0140.jpg
    IMG_0140.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 55

GreaseGardens

200-300 tap requires 0 cal mag.... As stated by mj above sounds more like a ph issue or the cal mag your adding is causing lock out... If I were you I'd mix a half strength nutes 500ppm max no calmag flush them hard and continue to go minus the cal mag.... If your ph is correct it's to much cal mag...

:tiphat: thanks a ton stoney and all:dance013:
i am no longer going to supplement the tap water with camg, and will flush with a mix of about 500 ppm .. will post updates every couple days.. but this all makes sense now with last harvest, plants looked deficient, but most likely were locked out..

Unk_OG

I use a SmallBoy filter for my water. After I began using it I had huge CalMag issues. My GG#4 and CookiesKush looked awful! I use GH Cali-Magic @ 6ml per gallon. When I do just water, I get it straight from the tap. I figure there's probably not enough chlorine/chloramine in a gallon and a half to do any damage once a week and maybe it puts some of the minerals back that the filter is removing. Maybe not but, my CalMag issues are gone and my garden looks great.

It's a crazy cycle. Seems like we filter our water so our gardens have the best, then struggle to put back in a lot of what we removed, lol.

MJPassion

Observer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I use a SmallBoy filter for my water. After I began using it I had huge CalMag issues. My GG#4 and CookiesKush looked awful! I use GH Cali-Magic @ 6ml per gallon. When I do just water, I get it straight from the tap. I figure there's probably not enough chlorine/chloramine in a gallon and a half to do any damage once a week and maybe it puts some of the minerals back that the filter is removing. Maybe not but, my CalMag issues are gone and my garden looks great.

It's a crazy cycle. Seems like we filter our water so our gardens have the best, then struggle to put back in a lot of what we removed, lol.

I think you missed the main point I was trying to make...
You don't have a Ca/Mg issue...
You either have a Ca issue or you have a Mg issue.
It's about balance because these two elements are antagonists to each other & compete for -charges to attach to within the soil matrix.

GreaseGardens

It's about balance because these two elements are antagonists to each other & compete for -charges to attach to within the soil matrix.
I got it mj..
I will no longer use calmag as a supplement since my water is already at 380 ppms to start with. Just base and sio3, maybe some root inoculant as well. At what ppms do you think is right for these small clones? 500 too high?
Thanks again for all your helpful information 👍🏼:tiphat:

kaka_

With sfv I go a little light on the Nitrogen and load her up on Calcium. Im using Nectar of the God's and they have several Calcium bottles in their line. Im using Herc Harvest, Demeters, Olympus Up, Calcium Syrup. She loves the chit.

bsgospel

Bat Macumba
Veteran

Agree. If you try to throw too much Cal at it, you'll just finish killing all the cells that were already set to senesce anyway. Keep the cal and K balanced/level for a bit and work in a bit more Mg.