What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

blumat for coco okay???

O

otis33

with blumats, you really want no to minimal run off. I've found that 2 gal po ts are about perfect for blumats and coco. I can't say what my veg time was for that first run. it's really strain dependent. some stretch more than others. 24-30 inches would be a good place to start, then you can see where they will be after stretch and adjust future veg times until you find a sweet spot. it would be nice if there was a rock solid formula for growing weed, but there are so many variables...

flat9

Yeah. Well right now the medium looks damp but the top is dry in a few spots. No runoff any longer. I gotta go out of town starting tomorrow for ten days so I hope everything stays in order. Got a friend to come by a few times and check things out.

I think to be safe I'll flip at 24". I'm running these strains (sat/ind):

- Girl Scout Cookies Thin Mint Pheno (?/? - hybrid, indica dom I think)
- Phantom Cookies (65/35 I believe)
- Chem '91 (?/? sativa dom I think)
- Mendo Purps (60/40)
- Apple Jack (70/30)
- Blue Thai (?/? Indica Dom)
- Deep Cheese (60/40 Sativa Dom I think)
- Lemon Kush (?/? Sativa Dom)

I have about 6'6" room vertically. Maybe I should flip at 24" just to be safe... 3 x stretch would be right at 6'.

seriousburner

Perfect

Perfect

Hi Bearklaw,
Blumats will work perfect in coco ;)

Ive been using Blumats in coco and airpots for years now and distribute them.
Like you said, some people understand them, some dont.

I will give you some golden advice for your setup.

#1. If you are using coco, you want to have them set at maximum saturation (wetness)
One of the biggest mistakes people make with coco/blumats is having the medium too dry.
Remember that coco has perfect air to water ratio, it can never be too wet.
If the medium is too dry, the carrot will dry out and cause problems like air in the cone. Coco is hydro, not soil, so treat it like hydro. people follow the 'clinging droplet' rule on the instructions, but this only applies to soil.

#2 Always have the dripper hose at least 8cm, not shorter. Some people say that shorter gives better response, but it serves no use. Longer dripper hose means a larger drop which in turn means better penetration throughout the pot. Use of a dripper hose stake is important also. Always insert the carrot right up to the green but keep the end of the hose at least an inch off the ground or roots will grow up and into the hose.

Best way to setup for coco is:

Hand water until roots show at bottom of pot.

Insert prepared Blumat halfway between the stem and the outside of the pot and position the dripper line half way as well.

Tighten the blumat adjustment firmly, but not tight.

Water the pot slowly and thoroughly until water starts to drip from the bottom of the pot. Watering slowly will properly saturate the coco and give minimal waste runoff.

Allow the pot to sit and drain for 15 minutes.

Bleed nutrient through to the end of the main nutrient line (The larger tube from the reservoir) to remove all bubbles.

Now loosen the blumat adjuster so that nutrient lightly streams out of the dripper line.

Pull the dripper line that goes through the top of the Blumat through about 1cm and pinch to make sure it is not stuck together. This common happens as the dripper line can stick shut from the factory as they generally tighten the Blumat in production.

Tighten the Blumat slowly until it drips every 8-10 seconds (watch for about 2 minutes and count the time it takes to drip)

Check every day but dont adjust unless over flow is imminent.

If it is flooding a little, adjust the Blumat tighter by 1 increment every 3 days

If the pot feels a little dry or you would like a little more moisture, DONT LOOSEN TO MAKE THE DROPS FASTER! Just pull the dripper line out a little further from 8cm to 8.5cm and so on.

The perfect saturation would be wet with just a tiny bit of runoff, just enough runoff that it will simply evaporate in the saucer under the pot.

It is still recommended that you actually use a bucket under the pot for the first 2 grows as you will tweak with it as we all did and you will have a few floods here and there. A bucket will buy you some time to correct your errors without having a giant watery mess ;)

As a personal note, I would recommend the use of H&G Drip Clean to your mix. It's cheap and lasts a long time. Reduces salt buildup and keeps your Blumat lines clean throughout the grow ;)

Cheers!

Thank you! This is exactly what I have been trying to find in that BIG thread on blumats

Latest posts

Latest posts