What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

VerdantGreen's quarters - 205w LED Organic Mod. ScrOG

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Hi everybody, i was one of the lucky people chosen to demo the new 205 watt LED units from LEDGirl/Hydro Grow LED. The deal was that i would replace the 250watt HID in my cabinet with the 205watt LED unit and see how it compared. Some of you may have been following my previous 'quarters' grow diary - in which case this is going to look quite familiar ;). The intention is to see how the yield and quality compare with the different lights. i will be running some cuts that have been run a time or two before in the cab - as well as some new strains to keep it interesting - so we will be able to make some comparisons over the next couple of grows if all goes well.

So, my cabinet is 70cm wide by 60cm deep and is split into quarters with 4 modular scrog screens - each of them just over a foot square, i flower 4 plants in there at a time, one on each screen and i'm currently using 15litre / 3.5gallon pots. The height from floor to base of the LED unit is 90cm or 3 feet. Ventilation is provided by a Ruck temperature controlled 4" inline fan, running through a carbon filter that is sited above the light. passive intakes are on the floor of the cab.

pics - here is the cab with the light - it fits beautifully into the cab and is centred and leveled - you can see the small computer fan which circulates air over the canopy.
picture.php

and switched on
picture.php

and the plants (some of these pics are a little darker than i would like):-
firstly is a blueberry - from a Dutch Passion fem seed. this is my oldest and favorite cut, a decent yielder with some pretty cool foxtailing buds. a handsome plant :)
picture.php

seems a shame to do this to it really but...
picture.php

and introducing Lemon Thai F3 from Bodhi, these were only available for a short time and i was happy to snag some - just happened to be in the right place at the right time :D
these were regular seeds and i had 4 plants which all ended up as females! (they were vegged under my 63w LED unit which did a great job - better than my 100w cfl veg cab),
so i will be running two in this cab - they are supposed to be good yielders. This is Lemon Thai 1 which looked the most indica dom in veg
picture.php

and with the screen fitted - always hard to know how much they will stretch on the first run but fingers crossed they will be ok ;)
picture.php

and this is Lemon Thai 4 - which looked the most sativa of the 4
picture.php

and with screen fitted
picture.php

the fourth plant is a Power Plant - came to me as a cut but presumably Dutch Passion. that will be vegged for another week before it goes in - it flowers faster than the others so will probably finish at a similar time.

here is the cab with 3 plants under the light - having one plant missing actually helps to show how the cab works.
picture.php

and one showing the pots - being able to adjust the heights is the secret to running different strains in a scrog as the canopy can be kept even
picture.php

and one showing the base of the cab. vent holes are the white tube in the middle of the tray (this is sealed so the plants can be left sitting in water if necessary and to stop any runoff leaks) and also to either side of the tray.
picture.php

i think that's it for now - any questions please feel free to ask

cheers :tiphat:

VG.

ft100

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Unbelievable. After your last run with LEDs I can't wait. I really want to drop a 205 in a 2x2 spot and scrog. How hot is the 205? I was also lucky enough to get some lemon Thais from the same source so I'm very interests because it is not a well documented strain. Anyways, nothing but good vibes. Peace and smoke.

apollonio

i don't think i need to say i'll be watching! :)

as usual, your plants look so healthy... i'm curious to see how de lemon thais will do!

best wishes V!

barth

When i see the colors of these led it always reminds me of a night club or fake haunted house.

Im sure this will be a great show.

K.J

Kief Junkie's inhaling the knowledge!
Veteran
Nice one Verdant! Three of my favorite things coming together in one grow: LED's, organics, and mod scrogs! I'm already organic, but I hope to go mod scrog at some point, and maybe even LED's as I love the success people have been having with these particular units.

Irie_Lion

Free up the Herbs....Let the Sacrament grow!
Veteran
Whats up VG.....Glad to see this thread get started!!! Looks like your plants are off to a nice start and gona fill them screens quick. I'll be watching this one closely ;)

Good vibez

GrnMtnGrwr

Veteran
You know how to use those mod scrogs... can't wait to see how they do under LED, should be the best way to use them.

:respect:

:lurk:

MeanBean

Hey V, I think this will be the first grow of yours I can watch from start to finish! Plants look 100% healthy, nice size too. I plan on learning from this thread to see just how you control the plants with your patented custom V screens... I gotta watch though Cause I cant use the ole "raise the bucket with a wood pad" trick with hydro lol!!

I am sure you will be tickled pink when you see your final harvest results with this 205 beast.. I am growing 4 plants with my 126 watter, it is going to be nice to compare to this and all the other LED grows popin' on ICmag.com right now... Good Times!!

Be sure to be watching your temps bro, there going to be a bit diffrent. I bought a "dial a Temp" switch just in case my cab got to cold, i would just turn dow the fan speed a bit..

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
ft100 - thanks :) - i reckon the ideal high intensity footprint for this would be 28-30" square ;) . its not hot at all.

apollonio - nice to have you along :D

barth - i tell you this light is bright! - i actually wince when i open the cab! the colour will take some getting used to.

K.J - thanks for stopping by. modscrog takes a bit of thinking and planning but if you get it right it can really work - i hope you try it someday

Irie - yeah seems like forever that ive had this lamp waiting - really glad to get it underway, and the weather is warming up all the time which is good.

GrnMtnGrwr - lets hope so! ;)

MeanBean - thanks - yes im running the lights during the day which makes it much easier. the HID was far too hot to run in the day during the warmer months (which hopefully are on their way )

blynx - thanks for checking in :)

took a peek today and all seems fine - ill get some pics in a few days

cheers

VG.

Strainbrain

Chairman of the Joint Chiefs
Veteran
Hey, VG! Not missing this one. I've got a couple people in RL watching this over my virtual shoulder; lots of interest in LEDs even from the not-online growing community.

bloyd

Veteran
Looking great as always v, thanks again for all your helpful posts, people like you is what makes icmag so great.

yesum

ICMag Donor
Veteran
You are gonna kill it Verdant. I am expecting 1/2 a lb. or more yield.

BORNaSMOKER

hi VG, just wondered if it gets hot. Someone did ask I just cant see an answer!!
i see i'm not the only ic'er that goes to wickes!!!

hazy

Veteran
hey VG, how high above the canopy is the light?

I love blueberry, and the LT just has to be good. Good luck.

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Strainbrain - cool say hi to the watchers from me ;)

unc! - cant wait to see your setup with the 205!

bloyd - thanks for the kind words mate ;)

yesum - that would be nice :)

Tatz - thanks for checking in

bootz! - yeah the light is very pink and makes the plants look strange too.

BORNaSMOKER - not hot at all compared to hps - thats going to be very useful this summer in my loft - which hits 90 regularly.

hazy - thanks :D - the light is about 7" above the tops atm but i will try and keep it a bit closer after the plants/buds have established. i asked LEDGirl about this when i was running out of space in my 63w micro grow and she said that the 6-12" recommendation was basically because some strains can get light bleaching when closer. so basically as long as you watch out for bleaching you can get these LED's as close as you like!
my mmg ended up 3-4 inches away and was fine

cheers

VG.