What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Epsom Salt

NorCalFor20

Smokes, lets go
Veteran
I got some epsom salt for plants from wal mart today and added a tablespoon to a gallon and watered with it, i have a suspected mg deficency so we will see if its any help when the light cuts on.

pics coming soon.

any advice for usign epsom salts?

G

Why are you asking for advice now?

You already put the stuff in your soil!

What makes you think you have a Magnesium problem?

What's your soil makeup?

Did it include dolomite lime? If yes, then I seriously doubt you had Mg problems.

Pedro
:sasmokin:

NorCalFor20

Smokes, lets go
Veteran
my soil mix is the pink bag of potting soil from wal mart mixed with perlite no added lime, couldn't find any- which leads me to believe that i do have MG and possible sulfur deficency as well, kills 2 birds with one stone. a 2 dollar fix until I can get some cal mag

stealthballer

99.9 percent sure you cant have too much mg, in other words I don't think you can hurt your plant with mg. So I wouldn't stress he amount you used.

that soil is shitty though, very very hot

jaykush

dirty black hands
ICMag Donor
Veteran
99.9 percent sure you cant have too much mg, in other words I don't think you can hurt your plant with mg. So I wouldn't stress he amount you used.

fuck yea you can, go add a shit load to your plants watch the soil nutrients get locked up.

ixnay007

"I can't remember the last time I had a blackout"
Veteran
You want a calcium lockup? add too much mg, and vice versa.

stealthballer

jaykush said:
fuck yea you can, go add a shit load to your plants watch the soil nutrients get locked up.

I was just trying to convey he shouldn't freak out about this one time.

Last edited:
P

Psychosativa

If a mag def is suspected, the best way to solve it is to spray the leaves with a solution made with one tablespoon of epsom salts per gallon of water. This way, there's no risk of a dangerous salt build-up in the soil, and the effect is faster and better.

Epsom salts

Edit: of course, spray only in veg or early flowering

Last edited:

NorCalFor20

Smokes, lets go
Veteran
stealthballer said:

tell me about my soil because all i can remember is pink bag and no one but you has seemed to know about it. what is it called? what makes it hot? I plan on re potting in 5 gallon grow bags of Fox farm ocean forest with perlite would that be good?

here is a pic of my plants

here are the ones you can see the deficenciy in

lower right hand corner

yellowing tips

here are the rest of the pics mostly healthy but if you see something i don't let me know

BurnOne

No damn given.
ICMag Donor
Veteran
That is not a magnesium deficiency.
Tell us EXACTLY what you mixed with the Wal-Mart potting mix.
Burn1

old threath

anyway i wish know from you experts here what is the
optimal water temprature in cup when you want mix Epsom Salt krystals to liquid water?

Now i Use 45+ celcius water.
Little more warm than your finger that is usually 37+ celcius

It takes time mix this.
Not extreme long, anyway there is a bit stirring about one minute.

Is there anything , labtested or so ? about the most optimal temp in water do this without harm the Magnesium quality

I mix it in soil from start, when i need it again i use cup water , and mix the Epsom Salt, and like i say before 45+ celcius.

Professional growers please help me.
What is limit before getting too hot with the water and harm the Epsom? how many celcius or fahrenheit is max ?

yes i know this.

1 teaspoon to 1 gallon is good. In veg
1.5 teaspoon to 1 gallon in flowering
these are safe dosages i have try , and read alot times also.

Now i want know the max water temp you can use in cup and mix the E-Salt crystals ?
And not hurt the benefits of it.

70 degrees + celcius would be dream mix the crystals, it would take seconds only.
This is too hot right? You burn the nutes ?

I have 45 celcius+ hot water now.

What is the optimal temp ? :)

andl

old threath

anyway i wish know from you experts here what is the
optimal water temprature in cup when you want mix Epsom Salt krystals to liquid water?

Now i Use 45+ celcius water.
Little more warm than your finger that is usually 37+ celcius

It takes time mix this.
Not extreme long, anyway there is a bit stirring about one minute.

Is there anything , labtested or so ? about the most optimal temp in water do this without harm the Magnesium quality

I mix it in soil from start, when i need it again i use cup water , and mix the Epsom Salt, and like i say before 45+ celcius.

Professional growers please help me.
What is limit before getting too hot with the water and harm the Epsom? how many celcius or fahrenheit is max ?

first thing is you want to foliar feed 'em (spray)? or you want to water them?

ok got it you water them so u just use ordinary temps bro 18-22°C about 70°F

epson salt is MgSO4 so its a salt its mixing very well with cold/warm/hot water whatever

here you are:

• gut in Wasser löslich: 300 g·l−1 (20 °C) (MgSO4) [1] this is pure water free
  • 710 g·l−1 (20 °C) (MgSO4 · 7 H2O this the hydrated version which you have beacuse its sure not water free
so its possible to put 300grams into 1Litre of water! @ 20°C (overkill for sure)

andl

70 degrees + celcius would be dream mix the crystals, it would take seconds only.

I have 45 celcius+ hot water now.

What is the optimal temp ? :)

it never gets damaged you can heat it over a bunsen burner to really dry it into a water free form) "clean" MgSO4

EDIT: If you want to mix in some other nutes just wait till the whole thing ncooled down to roomtemp then add all the other nutes, easy

its just about its collecting humidity from the air if its not completly dry and vacuum sealed, but thtas all not necessary for your question.its better to use cold water because you need the oxygen for your roots and they dont like warm/hot water they cant take nutrients properly when roots are too warm also you get trouble with fungus or mold, cold water can uptake much more oxyen which is necessary for your roots

is better to spray it with a 1% solution so 10g in 1000ml (1Litre of water) just mix this at room temp (stir or shake it then use after a few minutes), or if youre really that concerned cook up small cup 100ml of hot water dissolve the epson salt in and then mix it with cold 900ml water.... doenst matter so you got to spray at roomtemp, ph7.4 wold also be nice but everything between 6.0 and 8.0 should work, spray after lights turned olut.

keep in mind that the MgSO4 will affect soil (sulfur inside) and also the salts are sinking the ph if use too much or too often. directly in soil, better flush good when doing epsonsalts directly into soil, dont put the powder onto soil or roots directly ALWAYS dissolve before....

Last edited:

andl

yes i know this.

:)

then mix it and let it stand, till roomtemperature, you cannot burn the dissolved salts/nutes:dance013:
it may not be advisable to mix in the others nutes from companies at that high temperature! just mix the rest in when it has cooled down to 20°C/70°F

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest posts