What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

California Lightworks SolarStorm vegmaster 220

CannaRed

Cannabinerd
420giveaway
Anyone use this model? Picked one up for $200. Says for veg, they recommend hanging 4' from plants?
Can someone with experience in SolarStorm tell me their hanging distance?

soil margin

Veteran
Never used it personally. What's the wattage? 4' sounds incredibly far for a closet sized LED. I usually never go further than 18" during veg and 2' for flower with my LED's. Heat is almost never the issue with LED's so you typically only have to worry about light stress/bleaching.

I have a solar stom which I used for about a year and a half. pretty nice grow light id say. a little over priced for the tech though. grew many nice plants with it but I did notice I really needed to harden them off to the light well cause the thing was damn bright. I also never ever got them to fully pray under it. now ive upgraded to white led/cob fixtures and id never fuck with anything else. waaaaaaaay easier on the eyes too and a lot easier to identify problems if they arise.

CannaRed

Cannabinerd
420giveaway
Never used it personally. What's the wattage? 4' sounds incredibly far for a closet sized LED. I usually never go further than 18" during veg and 2' for flower with my LED's. Heat is almost never the issue with LED's so you typically only have to worry about light stress/bleaching.

165 w actual draw. Only info I can find online says it will do a 5' x 5' veg area from 4' above plants.

Or it says a 2' x 2' footprint for bloom.

But it's a Vegmaster, not for bloom.

So far it looks like it slightly burning them. Not sure if that's right word, but they don't seem happy.
Hopefully they need to harden off like y'all say.

It is bright. It seems to be harder on my eyes than my 600w hps. Probably just the different spectrum.
Haven't had LEDs since the piece of shit 90w blurple ufo.

This SolarStorm isn't really "blurple" it's got more red. Kind of pinkish.
Which is weird. I would think the more red would be for bloom.
And the veg light would have more blue.

The SolarStorm line has been discontinued and replaced with the SolarFlare.

Any extra information greatly appreciated.

CannaRed

Cannabinerd
420giveaway
I have a solar stom which I used for about a year and a half. pretty nice grow light id say. a little over priced for the tech though. grew many nice plants with it but I did notice I really needed to harden them off to the light well cause the thing was damn bright. I also never ever got them to fully pray under it. now ive upgraded to white led/cob fixtures and id never fuck with anything else. waaaaaaaay easier on the eyes too and a lot easier to identify problems if they arise.

How did you harden them off? Just a few hours a day or did you start out less time? I hope I don't fry them, I have backups so I won't lose strains, but hate hurting my babies

soil margin

Veteran
This SolarStorm isn't really "blurple" it's got more red. Kind of pinkish.
Which is weird. I would think the more red would be for bloom.
And the veg light would have more blue.

I think you got it backwards from my understanding. I believe that red light is on the infrared end of the spectrum (2700k lights for example) and that's what helps plants in veg, the blue end of the spectrum (5000k lights for example) is more ultraviolet and that's what helps cannabis more in flowering.

Koondense

Veteran
165 w actual draw. Only info I can find online says it will do a 5' x 5' veg area from 4' above plants.

Or it says a 2' x 2' footprint for bloom.

That's nonsense.
A 165W led will effectively cover a 3x3 in veg and 2x2 during flowering phase.

CannaRed

Cannabinerd
420giveaway
I think you got it backwards from my understanding. I believe that red light is on the infrared end of the spectrum (2700k lights for example) and that's what helps plants in veg, the blue end of the spectrum (5000k lights for example) is more ultraviolet and that's what helps cannabis more in flowering.

There much better info on icmag, but this is quick quote from Wikipedia:
Warm red spectrum is recommended for flowering, and cool blue spectrum is recommended for vegetative growth

This is the way I've always heard it.
Correct me if I'm wrong. I'm here to learn.

How did you harden them off? Just a few hours a day or did you start out less time? I hope I don't fry them, I have backups so I won't lose strains, but hate hurting my babies

yup that's exacty what I did. start with whatever increment you feel comfortable with and then double it every few days. so when I started I put the plants under for 4 to 6 hours at a time for the first 2 or 3 days. and if they can handle it then put them under for 8 to 12 hours a day. once they are adjusted they should be able to handle full days under the light. it usually took me about a week to get them acclimatized. keep in mind the ss440 is twice the wattage. at the time I started seedlings under a single tube floro and once they were far too big for it I would try to harden them off. I found the more time you can take the better. but if the light sources aren't drastically different (in terms of output strength) then it may not take as long. id say start with 4 to 6 hours and take it from there.

CannaRed

Cannabinerd
420giveaway
yup that's exacty what I did. start with whatever increment you feel comfortable with and then double it every few days. so when I started I put the plants under for 4 to 6 hours at a time for the first 2 or 3 days. and if they can handle it then put them under for 8 to 12 hours a day. once they are adjusted they should be able to handle full days under the light. it usually took me about a week to get them acclimatized. keep in mind the ss440 is twice the wattage. at the time I started seedlings under a single tube floro and once they were far too big for it I would try to harden them off. I found the more time you can take the better. but if the light sources aren't drastically different (in terms of output strength) then it may not take as long. id say start with 4 to 6 hours and take it from there.

Thanks sticky!

soil margin

Veteran
There much better info on icmag, but this is quick quote from Wikipedia:
Warm red spectrum is recommended for flowering, and cool blue spectrum is recommended for vegetative growth

This is the way I've always heard it.
Correct me if I'm wrong. I'm here to learn.

I probably should have been more specific. Because growers have different goals and different measures of success, remember that we're talking about multiple issues when trying to "help vegging" or "help flowering".

Helping veg could mean growing taller plants, growing plants faster, or growing bushier, leafier plants. Helping flowering could be trying to get your plants to flower faster, or grow bigger flowers, or grow more resinous flowers with higher THC content. Technically there is no "best" color spectrum for veg or flower, it depends on what you're trying to achieve in your grow. Personally I want the absolute most potent plants possible, and UV light has been scientifically shown to increase THC/CBD content, so that's why I value blue light during flowering, because it's on the ultraviolet end of the light spectrum.

In reality the absolute "best" color spectrum for growing is probably something near natural light that incorporates a mix of red/green/blue light.

Ruby_Abu

I did some research for their light. But finally, i choose Mars reflector 192 because of price point. It seems that they didn't relise the white color quantum board light would be the newest tech.

CannaRed

Cannabinerd
420giveaway
They seem to like it. Took a few days and they are doing great.

Got a pair of green color correcting led shades. For sure better on my eyes too.

So far Better than the 250w hps. And it will be easier on the a.c. this summer.

Plants like it, I like it.

CannaRed

Cannabinerd
420giveaway
Yup, plants are great and I can definitely see the plants better with the led glasses.
Thanks for helping me out everyone!