What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Seed plants on hydro / aero

NEED 4 SEED

Hey I am switching from soil to Hydro/Aero. I got an aeroflo by ghe which is a mixture between aero and hydro.
The plants are in netpots, preferable with rockwool or clay pebbles for fixing and additional humidity buffer for errors.
The roots that emerge from the pots are sprinkled all around the clock (its no fog) and reach into the reservoir
whose water level can be adjusted between more aeration (and risk of drying out in power fails) or more dwc style.
I think this is a good combination of all the styles.
I didn't even start yet but i have some questions regarding seeds.
I think it's clear that regular seeds won't work on such a table, cause you can't take out male plants in the cycle.
So how about feminized seeds? Are seeds even possible on such a system?
I saw some plants on this system go from clone-stage to almost one meter in 7 days.
Seedplants aren't sexually mature at this point so am I right thinking these systems are only for sexually mature
female clones in monoculture?
Or does someone do seed runs in hydro or aero?

Drop That Sound

I would run clones just to be sure they all stay uniform. Roots really fill and get tangled up in im guessing a 4x4" rail? Especially if they get to big.

Even with fem seeds some plants will be different, one might outgrow the rest, etc.

Probably even use just a foam collar in the net pot without any type of medium, especially if your vegging in the same system.

NEED 4 SEED

I would run clones just to be sure they all stay uniform. Roots really fill and get tangled up in im guessing a 4x4" rail? Especially if they get to big.

Even with fem seeds some plants will be different, one might outgrow the rest, etc.

Probably even use just a foam collar in the net pot without any type of medium, especially if your vegging in the same system.

Yeah thanks, got it! Clones are the way. Too many inconsistencies with seeds then.

Palindrome

King of Schwag
You can easy remove seedlings once sexed from an aeroflo, but it's not really aero - It's a NFT system.

The root's won't be that intangled, that you can't remove a seedling once it's sexed.
Some roots might break, but it won't do noticable damage to the other plants.

If they have formed a slap, just lift up the plant and cut it off the root slap.