What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Problems with my DIY COB's

Hello everybody !

i'm back to HPS because i screw up my grows with the LED's i think.
I've prepared 2 batches, one under 300 w of CREE led's and one under 400w HPS. The first got droopy leaves during the day, recovering at night but strange.
The second is fine.
So i put HPS on the first, 600W ( i don't have anything else) just to see, and they don't recover they have droopy leaves even after a night, i can say it's worse, and i don't understand. PH, EC, temp are fine.
I'm out of ideas !
I thought it was because of low temps in winter, but now it's OK, there are not cold.

this one is showing signs of droopy leaves, even under HPS straight from fluoros without passing by the LED's stage. This one is nice, compared to others.
I put other pics tomorrow. Now it's night and it's very droopy.

Attachments

• IMG_20190214_225834.jpg
    IMG_20190214_225834.jpg
    82.7 KB · Views: 25

Lost in a SOG

GrassSnakeGenetics
Well maybe they are hitting their maximum DLI and cant take any more light..

Ive done this with LEDs a lot just assuming since the wattage was so much lower or the tech inferior or something.. turned out in my case the LEDs were so much better than HPS you can light burn them without heat burn because they are putting out the right spectrums so efficiently.

LEDs hands down beat HPS but you cant just replace a HPS in your system with LEDs and expect all the other climatic and growth factors to stay the same with such a big change imo..

AgentPothead

Just this guy, ya know?
this one is showing signs of droopy leaves, even under HPS straight from fluoros without passing by the LED's stage. This one is nice, compared to others.
I put other pics tomorrow. Now it's night and it's very droopy.
Okay so, to me, those look a little dark green, but otherwise healthy, besides that droop. They don't look like the claws caused by nitrogen toxicity, but I would keep that in mind, just cause how dark green they are. Those plants look young enough it could just be a "hotter" soil than they require. How close are your lamps? It might be like Lost in SOG says with too much light. Hopefully somebody knows that look, cause I'm pretty much at a loss. Good luck bro. Oh yeah, if you post in the infirmary you might get more eyes on it as well. https://www.icmag.com/ic/forumdisplay.php?f=83

Lost in a SOG

GrassSnakeGenetics
^^ Yeah that plant does look a bit N toxic and cabbage like in that strobey pic tbh.. ive notived when over fed early on they cant hold their pretty huge chunky broad leaves up.. but holding them down is different.

Later in life they taco to avoid light but ive never seen ganja in veg do that..

But too much light being the cause should only be towards the end of the day..

if the leaves are down all the time id say its some other factor besides the light.. still how hard are you blasting your plants?
Anyway as stated the infirmary might well be the best place..

These ones have not seen the leds yet and they recover after 8 hours of night. Just before the lights on.

Attachments

• HPS400Anuit.jpg
    HPS400Anuit.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 27
  • HPS400Bnuit.jpg
    HPS400Bnuit.jpg
    104.8 KB · Views: 28
  • HPS400Cnuit.jpg
    HPS400Cnuit.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 28
Now those who have seen the leds one week, next 600 HPS ( at 1 meter from the canopy) and i tried yesterday a 600 MH but it's not better. Those don't recover anymore at night, they are getting worse every day. So i decided to try fluoros back again but maybe the grow is fucked up. If it does not come from the light, i really don't know. This system has worked many years successfully.

Attachments

• IMG_20190215_122330.jpg
    IMG_20190215_122330.jpg
    99.2 KB · Views: 25
  • MH600D.jpg
    MH600D.jpg
    104.2 KB · Views: 31
  • MH600B.jpg
    MH600B.jpg
    73.6 KB · Views: 29
  • MH600A.jpg
    MH600A.jpg
    113.6 KB · Views: 33
Last edited:

AgentPothead

Just this guy, ya know?
That's crazy, I don't get why the light is causing a droop? Is it that much more intense of a light the plants are being pushed into overdrive and using up all the oxygen in the medium? Is your bubbler going 24/7?

That's crazy, I don't get why the light is causing a droop? Is it that much more intense of a light the plants are being pushed into overdrive and using up all the oxygen in the medium? Is your bubbler going 24/7?

I know it looks like a O2 deficiency but the air is on 24/7, good air pump, good air stones, lot of bubbles, water is quiet cold.
I do as i always did.

Light can stress if the spectrum is bad, and i thought my led's were old and bad. But i tried with brand new led's and i got droopy leaves in final, but i could save the grow that time using my 400 w HPS,

But this grow, i think it's done. I have to re do without using the led's, thet's my own lead...

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
I know it looks like a O2 deficiency but the air is on 24/7, good air pump, good air stones, lot of bubbles, water is quiet cold.
I do as i always did.
What are your minimum and maximum room temps?
What are your min/max nutrient solution temperatures?
What are your max/min humidity levels?
How much airflow do you have through the tent?
What is the total volume of nutrient solution?
How many watts of airpump or how many liters of air per minute is the pump?
Light schedule?
What size space?
300w of What type of LEDs are you using? Spectrum, wattage, number, driving voltages, etc...
:tiphat:

The sick plants have been in the dark during 15 hours. They have recovered a little. Now they are under a 125 w CFL light, and they can bare it so far.

Attachments

• IMG_20190216_125241.jpg
    IMG_20190216_125241.jpg
    112.7 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_20190216_125249.jpg
    IMG_20190216_125249.jpg
    105.5 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_20190216_125256.jpg
    IMG_20190216_125256.jpg
    121.2 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_20190216_125301.jpg
    IMG_20190216_125301.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 27
these ones have not seen the leds and they are fine. They get bigger every day.

Attachments

• IMG_20190216_125434.jpg
    IMG_20190216_125434.jpg
    80.2 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_20190216_125439.jpg
    IMG_20190216_125439.jpg
    88.9 KB · Views: 25
Light schedule?
What size space?
300w of What type of LEDs are you using? Spectrum, wattage, number, driving voltages, etc...
:tiphat:

Min 13°C Max 23 with LEDs 27 with 600 HPS
Min 13 Max 17
It can change from 55% to 75%
The exhaust is good for LEDs but a little weak for 600 w HPS
2 rez of 18 Liters
It's a big pump with 4 outputs, i think it's 30W
Light schedule?
16/8
What size space?
1 square meter
Cree CXB3070 drived at 60W, the max is 100W, 3000K, 5 or 6 Cob's, from 300 to 360 w efficient. They get 36V at 1600 mA each

The only thing that i changed is the time the plant stay in the seedling tent.
In this tent, it's 150W CFL and rotative sprinklers, no bubbler. Before they were staying 4 weeks, now i let them stay only 2 weeks. They are younger when i put them under the big LEDs. So this and the fact that it's winter and it's cold, but where the tents are, it's about 15 °C and can go to 18°C.

AgentPothead

Just this guy, ya know?
If it's bouncing back under the CFL, that implies it is definitely the LED causing it right? Is Lost in Sog correct and it's just way more light than the plants can safely use?

So 8 hours light, where it might reach 23?

I'm cold just thinking about it.

16 Hours of light, not 8.
It's a problem of cold, not at night, but during the day. I prefer paying for light than for heaters, so i prefer using the HPS during cold season.
I had good results under LED's so i can't say it's bad, but regarding my set up HPS give better results. I'll post some new pics soon, the sick plants have recovered nicely. They are under 12/12 schedule and they stretch and thrieve.
600 w were too much, but with 400 w it's just fine.
When it's summer i'll switch back to led's.

Latest posts

Latest posts