What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Your Opinion on These LED Specs Please?

popta

White LEDs already are blue LEDs. They add that yellow phosphor coating on top to convert some of the blue light into the green/yellow/orange range. You can get any desired balance of blue:yellow, from barely any blue to way more blue than you'd ever want, just by choosing how much/little phosphor is added (these are the color temp options). It's not necessary to add additional blue LEDs. They're quite expensive for one, and they're redundant when you can control the blue level by selecting the right color temp for your whites.

The reds are quite expensive too, but we're forced to add those because the whites can't produce those longer wavelength reds efficiently by themselves.

To make the spectrum adjustable like you're thinking you'll need to buy two ballasts for every light, do some very complex boards that can reroute the led strings, or design a custom dual output ballast. It can be done obviously, but it won't be cost effective. You'd be better off to have separate veg and flower lamps like we always have. They can use the same ballast.

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
Wow, I've certainly jumped around a lot on this thread. lol Greatly appreciate the input and apologies for the chaos. :) Switching to "flowering only" chips ups the overall "flowering" wattage and lowers the 'versatility.'

They're providing 3 separate dimmers, so I'll be able to individually vary the chip sets. 3500K and 660nm is only two, so I'm looking at adding some 2700k. I've flowered cannabis just fine with 2700k SILs, so not having far-red right now won't kill me. My thinking is to individually test discrete led's in the future. I'll be able to set them up between the bars, and in one corner of the light. 630nm, 430nm, far-red, uv, and whatever else pops up which might be useful.

The physical design of the light is going to make this fairly simple. A lot of work, but fairly simple. :)