What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Can Not Shake This Calcium Deficiency/Lockout For The Life Of Me!! Why???

MJPassion

Observer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Ca and Mg are antagonistic as far as uptake is concerned.

If you think you have a Ca issue then deal with Ca and not Ca/Mg at the same time.

Somebody mentioned a Ca foliar, previously in this thread, that has worked for them and If I were you I would explore that route as long as you are led to believe you have a Ca deficiency.

Too much Mg will lockout both Ca and Mg.

I'm not a hydro guy and do not supliment CO2 so take this with a grain of epsom.
:tiphat:

Rabbi

Any updated pics?

Only other suggestion would be not let your PH drift quite so high. 6.1 max on hydro for me. I usually readjust down to 5.6 or 5.7 as soon as it hits 6.0, but I never let it get above 6.1. I think 6.5 in hydro is a bit high.

My money is still on the CO2 though.
Anything in particular you'd like to see Robot? I run a perpetual set up so I have plants in all different stages all the time.

Everything looks exactly the same so I haven't bothered taking more pics. I'm sure it's not the ph.

Last edited:

Rabbi

Are you pulling any fresh air in now that the C02 is off?

I grow coco DTW and I get symptoms like the ones you're seeing when I don't water enough and allow the coco to dry out a little bit. Bumping up the watering frequency helps a lot, but I'm not sure how that applies to a recirculating system.

No, no fresh air. It's a sealed environment. I water once an hour for 5 minutes.

Rabbi

How much h202 are you adding, how often, and at what concentration?

If h202 or bleach would have nixed my infection, my ass was certainly too dunce too figure out how to keep adding sufficient quantities to my res often enough to make a difference.

If you can’t get your hands on zone, pool shock may be equally as aggressive. There’s a thread somewhere around here that shows safe dilution levels. I think zone might just be poolshock already diluted down to levels safe to use @1-2ml per gallon.

It does look like Co2 toxicity or some other type of off-gassing though. Hope you get it figured out.

Shalom.

I haven't added the h202 yet. I will for sure on Wednesday on my next res change.

I'm actually going toss a light in my house and see how that turns out. Just to make sure it's not an off-gassing issue or something in the shop.

Rabbi

Ca and Mg are antagonistic as far as uptake is concerned.

If you think you have a Ca issue then deal with Ca and not Ca/Mg at the same time.

Somebody mentioned a Ca foliar, previously in this thread, that has worked for them and If I were you I would explore that route as long as you are led to believe you have a Ca deficiency.

Too much Mg will lockout both Ca and Mg.

I'm not a hydro guy and do not supliment CO2 so take this with a grain of epsom.
:tiphat:
I didn't even add any ca/mg last week. According to AN you don't need any extra cal/mag with their products. I just want to make sure I don't accidentally over do it.

Rabbi

I'm starting to think maybe it's a disease. For sure gonna add h202 to next res change. I would of did it this time but I read somewhere that you're suppose to add the h202 first before anything else and I already had a fresh res/nutrient mix made. Seems odd though that I would of had a disease issue starting with my 1st crop here.

Last edited:

beta

Veteran
No, no fresh air. It's a sealed environment. I water once an hour for 5 minutes.

Well there's your problem. Your plants need to breath, and you aren't supplementing C02 OR bringing fresh air in.

Even when I used C02 I'd bring fresh air in a couple times a day to get rid of the ethelyne and other built up gasses.

Bobby Boucher

If bringing fresh air in isn't an option, you could try supplementing co2 with a small 1lb propane tank with a lil pencil burner tip, at least until a new tank or generator arrives.

Have you tested for carbon monoxide?

LostTribe

Premium user
phantom deficiencies! U maybe experiencing some type of fusarium or other fungal infection. similar problems plagued me for years. till i found out i was recirculating my problems.

i think 80-220ppm of calcium is recommended. then half of that number should be matched with magnesium in a 2:1 ratio. if i remember correct. u could try a foliar of calcium if your certain its calcium. biominn ca is a great product to foliar

seems like you have the other things in check. other then the 1500ppm of co2. go with 1000ppm till u get things figured out. i remember reading that after 1500ppm plants can close up the stomata an go into stasis. if i had to say im willing to bet some genetics may slow at 1400ppm, an others at 1600ppm co2, so why guess. tbh i dont think i see any difference at 1000ppm or 1250ppm. but then again getting to the last final % of dialing in there are 1000 other variables of importance. dial down to 1000ppm so u know your not slowing anyone, thats still almost 3x atmospheric co2.

its funny u mention jacks. i thought jacks was the problem for me cause i had other nutrients perform better under same conditions. read up on fusarium. try bleach or pool shock in the water. another disinfectant is hydrogen peroxide.

just because roots aren't roted doesn't mean u dont have a fungal infection. infections can disrupt the uptake of nutrients inside the stem. one genetic could fight it off more then the other making the plant seem healthier. infections can partially paralyze the plant. i could go on an on....

So are you back with Jacks then? Cal/nit?

LostTribe

Premium user
Alright, thx for the advice man!

Think I'll just unplug the co2 generator completely for a while and see what happens.

New set up is in a shop this time(old set up in a basement) and the co2 generator is located across the room from the co2 meter/controller, with the plants in the middle. It could very well be possible that their's more than 1500ppm of co2 in the actual plant area. In fact I'd almost bet on it.

That is certainly one thing that has not occurred to me until you mentioning it. it's been a huge mystery for me since it appeared that everything was so dialed in and I tried so many different things.

On top of that this is a strain I've grown for years and very familiar with, so the mystery problem has been blowing my mind. However I did grow other strains as well just to make sure it wasn't just the strain somehow and they all struggled with what appears to look like calcium deficient.

I do have some hydrogen peroxide sitting around as well that I haven't been using. I will now.

Thank you very much for your advice. That actually makes sense to me. Really doesn't seem like I left many stones unturned but that could certainly be one. :tiphat:

I definitely think shutting down the CO2 until you get it under control is a good idea because its just making your plants uptake that much more nutrient.

Its not the CO2 causing the problem, but the CO2 is making the plants show the problem more than with lower co2. Where are you at week wise? When have you flushed and with what? Clearex?

If I ever get issues like that I always flush with clearex for an hour then flush n fill at 50%strength then you can add back from there to bring your nutes back up.

Have you calibrated your tds/ec meter?

Good luck.

Rabbi

If bringing fresh air in isn't an option, you could try supplementing co2 with a small 1lb propane tank with a lil pencil burner tip, at least until a new tank or generator arrives.

Have you tested for carbon monoxide?

I have a generator. I'll just plug it back in and set it at 1000ppm. Pretty sure it's not a co2 issue though.

Rabbi

I definitely think shutting down the CO2 until you get it under control is a good idea because its just making your plants uptake that much more nutrient.

Its not the CO2 causing the problem, but the CO2 is making the plants show the problem more than with lower co2. Where are you at week wise? When have you flushed and with what? Clearex?

If I ever get issues like that I always flush with clearex for an hour then flush n fill at 50%strength then you can add back from there to bring your nutes back up.

Have you calibrated your tds/ec meter?

Good luck.

Yes I agree.

I do perpetual grows so I have plants at all different stages all the time.

I flush with plain water for last 11-12 days.

Yes I have calibrated my meters.

Rabbi

is this problem crop wide? or a specific plant or varietal?

Some strains seem to do better than others but they all still show signs of deficiencies. And produce hallow buds with little to no crystal formations.

Only thing I can think of at this stage is disease or something off-gassing.

LostTribe

Premium user
Some strains seem to do better than others but they all still show signs of deficiencies. And produce hallow buds with little to no crystal formations.

Only thing I can think of at this stage is disease or something off-gassing.

You said you're perpetual. Do you sanitize your system ever? If not I would either look into some type of biocide pack or start over if you can't nail it down.

Rabbi

You said you're perpetual. Do you sanitize your system ever? If not I would either look into some type of biocide pack or start over if you can't nail it down.

It has been a while since sanitizing. Although with that being said I've been having these problems even right after everything was fresh, new and sanitized.

beta

Veteran
I have a generator. I'll just plug it back in and set it at 1000ppm. Pretty sure it's not a co2 issue though.

If your C02 generator is causing a problem (which I've seen happen a few times, esp w/ propane burners), turning it off will not solve it. You need fresh air. Try fresh air. Not your C02 generator.

Rabbi

yes, you are right, turning it off didn't solve it. I'm guessing fresh air won't either though.

Thinking it has to be disease related at this point.

eric2028

Veteran
We had similar issues. It ended up being our co2. We unsealed and turned off the burners. Plants that we affected looked alittle better but didn’t fully recover. Our plants looked great when moved over but quickly went down hill, some worse then others. New sets that went in had no issues after unsealing.

Latest posts

Latest posts