What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Aeroponic-Aquaponics

Dumme

Aeroponic-Aquaponics

[YOUTUBEIF]HbRgoF6tsFo[/YOUTUBEIF]

[YOUTUBEIF]MGIcsoHPnj4[/YOUTUBEIF]

Thoughts?

Last edited by a moderator:

exploziv

pure dynamite
Administrator
Veteran
Hey man. I had to fix the youtube embed code cause it wasn't working. You only need to put the video code when adding it to the forum, the 11 characters code of letters and numbers, not the whole link.
Btw, you may want to put some pics here on the forum, because most people don't use youtube or other outside links here on IcMag.

PetFlora

ICMag Donor
Veteran
How about neither?

Check out my DIY Mini-Me F & D. You'll be glad you did

Dumme

picture.php
picture.php
picture.php
picture.php
picture.php

delta9nxs

No Jive Productions
Veteran
for 20 years i captured, held, and shipped live marine specimens. and for almost 20 now i have grown pot hydroponically so i've got a couple of questions for you.

at some point the combined nitrogen inputs from the fish waste will become toxic to the fish and the water must be changed.

regarding cannabis specifically, isn't this level of toxicty to the fish below the level needed for plant growth?

if so are you concentrating the solution in a separate tank before circulating to the plants?

also, how did you plug up the pipe ends?

Dumme

for 20 years i captured, held, and shipped live marine specimens. and for almost 20 now i have grown pot hydroponically so i've got a couple of questions for you.

at some point the combined nitrogen inputs from the fish waste will become toxic to the fish and the water must be changed.

regarding cannabis specifically, isn't this level of toxicty to the fish below the level needed for plant growth?...

No, growing aquaponicly requires much less NO3, while conventional hydroponics is much more, and is below the level of that which would keep a fish from being health.

Nitrate (NO3) is not nearly as toxic as Ammonia (NH4) or Nitrite (NO2), and is used by plants, to help them grow.

As you may know, Nitrogen is needed far higher in cannabis's Veg cycle, and less in Flower.

Typically, cannabis requires 20-30ppm of NO3 to grow in Aquaponics, while fresh water fish may live in conditions of that at upwards in the hundreds of ppm.

Hope this helps, cheers :)

Dumme

...if so are you concentrating the solution in a separate tank before circulating to the plants?

also, how did you plug up the pipe ends?

The culvert is capped with pondliner covered plywood, and sealed with fish safe, 100% black silicon. Theyre Aero chambers, and contain no standing water as its constantly recirculated back to the fishtank and filters.

:)

armedoldhippy

Veteran
loving this thread! i have access to some 250 gallon potable water containers for cheap, & have experience with deep-water culture. looking at trying aquaponics in near future & raise hybrid bluegill along with either F&D or DWC.:)

delta9nxs

No Jive Productions
Veteran
No, growing aquaponicly requires much less NO3, while conventional hydroponics is much more, and is below the level of that which would keep a fish from being health.

Nitrate (NO3) is not nearly as toxic as Ammonia (NH4) or Nitrite (NO2), and is used by plants, to help them grow.

As you may know, Nitrogen is needed far higher in cannabis's Veg cycle, and less in Flower.

Typically, cannabis requires 20-30ppm of NO3 to grow in Aquaponics, while fresh water fish may live in conditions of that at upwards in the hundreds of ppm.

Hope this helps, cheers :)

thank you! in a typical aquarium the ammonium and nitrite are converted to nitrate by bacteria rendering them much less toxic to fish. so you are using the plants to remove a greater portion of the ammonia and nitrite before it can be turned into nitrate?

how do you balance fish bio-mass and plant bio-mass?

Dumme

thank you! in a typical aquarium the ammonium and nitrite are converted to nitrate by bacteria rendering them much less toxic to fish. so you are using the plants to remove a greater portion of the ammonia and nitrite before it can be turned into nitrate?

how do you balance fish bio-mass and plant bio-mass?

I use massive amounts of bacterial mater and huge amounts of surface area. I also use A 1000 liter bio-filter with +6sqft of media
Ive been slowly adding fish until the taget Nitrate ppm is reached.