What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Chlorine/chloramines

foomar

Luddite
ICMag Donor
Veteran
A primary reason for switching from chlorine to chloramine was to lower the amount of chlorophenols formed from reactions with waste chems from the electrical industry , present in the water supply to many industrial cities worldwide.

A study linked these compounds to male bladder cancer , these are still listed in measurable amounts in my supply despite 30 years of pollution control.

Monochloramine is 200 times less effective as a disinfectant than chlorine, but is an attractive alternative since it does not react as readily with organic materials to form THMs. Many water utilities overcome the decreased efficiency of monochloramine by adding ammonia following the chlorine application. This increases biocidal efficiency, but also increases the risk of THM formation.

Attachments

• TB-Chloramine.pdf
    42.6 KB · Views: 52

Chevy cHaze

Out Of Dankness Cometh Light
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Hi everyone,
this threa doesn't seem to be alive anymore, nontheless I'd like to shoot you guys a question:

Will plants uptake any chlorine or chloramine during their life if there's chlorine in th rez their fed from ( dead rez) ?
I noticed a lot of people use bleach or other chlorine products to keep their rez steril, but I couldn't find anything here on IC about chlorine making it INTO the plants...

Anybody who can shed some light on the subject?

cc

DONAJTHEIII

Hi everyone,
this threa doesn't seem to be alive anymore, nontheless I'd like to shoot you guys a question:

Will plants uptake any chlorine or chloramine during their life if there's chlorine in th rez their fed from ( dead rez) ?
I noticed a lot of people use bleach or other chlorine products to keep their rez steril, but I couldn't find anything here on IC about chlorine making it INTO the plants...

cc

Def heard of people using bleach like you said a couple of drops. I wouldnt recc. it because I havent done it personally or know anyone who does.

If ya wanna keep your rez sterile hydrogen peroxide is the way to go just what I think though. 29% nutrilife 2ml gal. is what I use

Roots pearly white

AJAE

EclipseFour20

aka "Doc"
Veteran
Hi everyone,

cc

Lots out there--including:

Natural inputs of chlorine (Cl) to soils come mainly from rainwater, sea spray, dust and air pollution. In addition,
human practices, such as irrigation and fertilization, contribute significantly to Cl deposition. In the soil solution, Cl
occurs predominantly as the chloride anion (Cl~). The Cl~ anion does not form complexes readily, and shows little
affinity (or specificity) in its adsorption to soil components. Thus, Cl~ movement within the soil is largely determined
by water flows. Chlorine is an essential micronutrient for higher plants.

Google: "plant growth" chlorine

Coba

Veteran
how did we start talking about a dead rez in the organic section?

anyways, yep like MM said "Organic matter neutralizes chlorine and chloramines "

I learned that from Sanitation 101 in Culinary Arts School. Chlorine is used in the food service industry as a sanitizer. 100 ppm for non-porous food contact surfaces, and 200 ppm for porous food contact surfaces and non-food contact surfaces.

sanitizer solutions must be changes every four hours because they loose their strength due to Organic Matter neutralizing the chlorine.

Bulldog420

Veteran
I used MM's advice on the first post and made up a nice tea.

I filled 50 gallons with water and placed my work boot in the water. Didn't smell like chlorine after a couple hours, although there was a funky smell and the most fungal dominate brew I have made to date..........(I joke, I joke)

S

sourpuss

Can u confirm that promix thrown in the water would neutralize? It is organic matter so I feel like it should work. Just wanna double check. Thx.

marbles

Kinda off topic but what do you think about using sodium thiosulfate for dechlorination in an organic setting.

I've used microbe life hydro dechlorinator in the past as it was labeled aquaponic safe.

Any conflict using that in og soil?

onavelzy

Veteran
fwiw, from the Los Angeles Water and Power District's web site: info on how folks can remove chloramine from water, if they feel the need to do so:

How can I remove chloramine from my drinking water?
Drinking water disinfected with chloramine is safe to use and it does not need to be removed. However, you may prefer to do so because of personal preference, it’s your choice. However, chloramine cannot be removed by boiling the water or letting the water stand in open as with chlorine or by using the chemicals that remove only chlorine. Commercial products including granular activated carbon filters are available to reduce or neutralize chloramine from drinking water. When buying a home water treatment system for the removal of chloramine, always look for National Sanitation Foundation (NSF) International certification. NSF is a nonprofit organization that independently tests and certifies drinking water filtration products. Several units are certified and listed on the NSF International website. You may visit their website at Certified Drinking Water Treatment Units, Water Filters or call them at 1-800-673-8010. The California State Resources Control Board also has a list of registered treatment devices at Residential Water Treatment Devices.

Is there a simple method to remove chloramine from drinking water?
Yes. Placing a few slices of fruit (e.g. orange, lemon, lime, mango, strawberries) or vegetable (cucumber) in a pitcher of water will effectively de-chlorinate the water within a few hours. For one gallon of water, a peeled and sliced medium-sized orange will de-chlorinate the water in about 30 minutes. The fruit can then be removed from the water, if desired. If lemon or lime is used, the pH of the water may become closer to neutral or slightly acidic. The ammonia component of the chloramine will not be removed, but in reality the fruit contributes more ammonia to the water, than does the chloramine.

Preparing coffee in the average coffee maker or brewing tea (black, green, herbal, decaffeinated, or caffeinated) also removes chloramine.

Can Vitamin C be used to remove chlorine or chloramine for bathing?
Yes. Vitamin C (ascorbic acid) is used by some utilities for de-chlorination prior to environmental discharges of chlorinated and chloraminated water. Ascorbic acid is also used as one of the de-chlorinating agents for preservation of chlorinated or chloraminated drinking water samples for laboratory analysis. One thousand milligrams of Vitamin C (tablets may be purchased in a grocery or health food store, crushed and mixed-in with the bath water) should remove the chloramine completely in an average sized bathtub without significantly decreasing the pH of the water. However, ascorbic acid is weakly acidic and may decrease pH slightly.

Moe Funk

Cool thread Microbeman this is gonna make things much easier for me.

Can I mix in the molasses with every watering throughout the life of the plant, clone straight through to harvest?

Microbeman

The Logical Gardener
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Cool thread Microbeman this is gonna make things much easier for me.

Can I mix in the molasses with every watering throughout the life of the plant, clone straight through to harvest?

You know, I guess you could but might wish to use other organic matter instead sometimes, in case there is concern of too much iron or other minerals in molasses. A bit of compost works too or asborbic acid or citric.