What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Motherlode Gardens 2018

FunkBomb

Power Armor rules
Veteran
There will always be demand for Grade A reefer. The flavors, smell, and effects are in a different league altogether. Think of the price differences in the grocery store between organic label and not. I've seen/smelled/consumed the vacuumed sealed cannabis that comes in from CA/CO and I'm not at all impressed.
Larger producers will drive down prices via economies of scale but that is all. Look at all the small craft breweries that are everywhere. Same thing with reefer. Smaller production, niche or local markets, somewhat higher prices, and higher quality.

Just a thought.

-Funk

xet

lol your numbers are all skewed. Your first line says it begins after its all bucked. Then you got two peeps in this room and a few in this one preping ect...
There's no need to exaggerate here. Plenty of us here have way more experience than you're giving us credit for.

Shrews your garden is looking great as always. Thanks for sharing. As far as trimming machines I messed around with the trim bag and it was so so. I'm gonna look into the greenbroz machine.

All I want to get across is 448g/hour dry-trim and 1200g/hour wet trim is normal for a person dedicating their life to that craft. This is not news?

reppin2c

Veteran
Xet has it figured out....examples given 46, rooms used 573, pounds per hour trimmed 1 million.

Out here in the real world the rest of us are laughing at you

Babbabud

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
All I want to get across is 448g/hour dry-trim and 1200g/hour wet trim is normal for a person dedicating their life to that craft. This is not news?

Just wanted to be sure you know that if your talking about a pound "448g" ... a pound is 454g :biggrin: .

Ibechillin

Masochist Educator
Think of the price differences in the grocery store between organic label and not.

The difference in price is simply the retailer taking advantage of what the consumer has no understanding of. All sales are the same, buy low and sell high to those who are naive enough to pay it. (*cough nutrient companies and grow shops *cough)

The farmers are lucky to get around 10% of what the store shelf price is...my family has worked in the produce wholesale and retail business for 60 years, myself for 10.

Its hilarious when we wholesale to high end markets that sell the same item we carry for 4 times the price as us at our fruit stands.

Last edited:

therevverend

Veteran
Part of the reason organic produce costs more is because there isn't the same infrastructure to collect it and transport it to the market. You can collect a million pounds of turnips, process it and ship it wholesale.
Organic you're dealing with a smaller amount and it has to be collected and shipped separately. Costs the grocer more.
Same thing to produce organic produce. Buying bulk vast amounts of chemicals is cheaper then buying smaller amounts of certified organic fertilizers.
Marijuana cannot be graded 'organic' because it is a scheduled drug. It is not FDA approved. And the states aren't interested in paying for their own grading system.
And most consumers don't care. So far in the Rec Market what moves is high THC %. If it's more potent it's believed to be Top Shelf. There's not much else for the consumer to go by since they can't smell it before purchase. If it looks good and is strong they buy it. It's the standard the states are creating by their rules.
Time will tell if a connoisseur's market develops. I'm wondering how low the price for a gram or an eighth will actually drop. I don't see anything wrong with $40 eighths, well we'll say $30 eighths as a standard. $10 grams. Don't see what the states have to gain by $20 eighths. Except losing tax revenue. A pint of booze or a fifth goes for a similar price.

MedResearcher

Veteran
Pretty content with our Elysian Research, rosin press. It was a bit pricey, but 3 years later it is still standing strong. Can press apx 56g of flower, or apx 180g of hash per squish.

A decent day of pressing, can just about make a lb of rosin, from flowers. Starting with hash, is about 5x the speed, so about 5# a day (decent day nothing to crazy). I go a little slower, with hash since its a little more precious.

Build or buy a giant tumbler imo. Set it, 10 minutes later, refill it. Problem for me, with dry sieve or water hash, you cant run dense flowers efficiently. You extract the outside of the flower, but all the good stuff in the middle is stuck in the middle.

Have had a dry trimmer for a while now, barely ever use it. Have to pre-touch up the flowers before running them. Then re-touch them up again afterwards. It is faster, and cheaper by a bit. Problem is, you need really round, dense flowers. Some genetics are perfect, while others not so much. Especially having seed stock, some phenos will be good to go, others not.

I think diversify a bit. Get a dry trimmer, have a small crew for it ready. Also have some finish trimmers. Machine the round stuff. Hand trim the not so round. Then sieve, or water hash into rosin, anything that is loose.

Garden looks good. Feels good growing your own seed stock. Not that I don't still want other peoples stock as well!

Mr^^

Last edited:

Dankwolf

was
The difference in price is simply the retailer taking advantage of what the consumer has no understanding of. All sales are the same, buy low and sell high to those who are naive enough to pay it. (*cough nutrient companies and grow shops *cough)

The farmers are lucky to get around 10% of what the store shelf price is...my family has worked in the produce wholesale and retail business for 60 years, myself for 10.

Its hilarious when we wholesale to high end markets that sell the same item we carry for 4 times the price as us at our fruit stands.

Most will take years to understand. most will never see the picture your painting lol.

Hence thr market few can see/ undersrand :tiphat:

Thank you for puting it in laymen terms.......lol

BIG UPS Shcrews! Your garden is always lovely to visit... It is space I would love to work in. The plants you grow are impressive. The inputs you use and the experimenting is thoughtful. Thank you for sharing!

Also as far as trim machines I have seen the Green Broz machines in action and feel they are efficient and capable of producing nicely manicured flowers.

PM me if you need someone that would do a demonstration for you.

little-soldier

nice work shcrews, your plants are goanna be so huge by the end of the year. I noticed you can see your plants from your house and was wondering if the lights coming from your house at night causes some plants to develop seeds?

Dankwolf

I couldn't imagine those in my yard over in the Va's lol. I'd be locked up and on the news if these guys busted me with 1 plant that size. You guys grow some fine plants out West....always much respect from me :tiphat:

Thank you shcrew's inspired me to try my shot out door . :tiphat::dance013:

Noonin NorCal

Veteran
If anyone else is running large trim teams please chime in.

Our team hand-trimming standards: dry trim - 448g /hour, wet trim - 1,200g /hour. Leniency with poor strains. Best trimmers do 500-800g/hour dry trim. Slower trimmers are asked to leave. The 800-1200g/day dry trim people have not the right experience and there are loads of them. When I am not grinding the clock I do 380g/hour dry trim, no crows, no leaves, no flower cuts, no extra stems. Slow hand trimmers are trouble.

Im not trying to jack your thread Schrews, But I'm not sure what this dude is talking about lol.
A true pound is 454, and a real true pound weighs 456+. I always make it a couple grams heavy. All scales including tripple beams aren't completely the same
As for trimming that much that quick, that sounds like a total complete hack job and if you are trimming that quick and that much you are raping it lol.
I trim a clean half pound usually in 8-10 hours. At times deppending on strain and density i can average almost 2 oz per hour. Stuff from my garden, I take time and care into my work. If I'm working getting paid by weight for a buddy it use to be 200 per pound. Id work fast but still id have integrity in my work and i wouldn't rape and shape, demolish my homies buds.
I pay my helpers 20 per hour, never went by weight. I rather have people taking their time to make it look the way I WANT it to look. Not carve the shit out of my product