What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

How do the 90s and early 2000s elites stack up to today’s hype strains?

insomniac_AU

In 2006 I grew Top 44. I made seeds. I gifted a lot of my TOP 44 to my friend Wally. He gave me a bunch of seeded Top 44 back. It is good smoke. I have a male right now that I am going to breed with more Top 44 and Tommy Chongs LA Amnesia. I am hoping that the LA Amnesia is as powerful as the hype. I have not smoked LA Amnesia yet. Still got around 4-6 weeks to go before I harvest. I need to get high but the Doctor told me not to smoke for a while as I am having my prostate removed on the 24th. It is very difficult for me to do as I am a chronic smoker and stay high all the time.
Man that sucks. I've had 4 operations under GA in the last 10 years or so and I smoked up until the night before I went into hospital and as soon as I got home. All the best for the operation.

Cvh

Supermod
^^Top44 is the first strain I ever grown and sold for a sh*tload of money.
I mean just grown. :biggrin:

I got it back then from Nirvana seeds.

I haven't seen it around in the EU for over a decade...
It will always have a place in my heart.

Whishing you the best of luck with your surgery. I hope it's the only way and you have had a second opinion.

Iffy

Nil Illegitimus Carburundum
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Old vs New

Old vs New

Hi Peeps,

For me, nothing has ever come close to the original UK Cheese. My daughter's little nerdy boyfriend introduced me to it, just a couple of weeks after the Luton Collective released the first cuts. It re-set the bar for me and since then nothing has come close.
The first smoke of Cheese was like the first smoke I ever had, the fuzzy feeling under my eyes and the giggling, with the tops of my ears glowing - I'll never forget it.

I grew my own momma from those first cuts and grew it for months but like everyone else, I thought it would be around for ever. I wasn't alone to be gutted when we found out nobody had kept a mother and the true original cheese was gone forever.

I had 14g of Holy Grail x OG Kush last week and it was among the best weed I've smoked for years, beautifully grown by an expert and meticulously dried and cured. It absolutely blew me away but in the final analysis - I'd swap it for just one bud of original Cheese in a heartbeat!

Regards,

Iffy :tiphat:

Elmer Bud

Genotype Sex Worker AKA strain whore
Veteran
Should be a good pack!

I came off a little anti-mutt. I think when proper selection, or sometimes just straight up luck a mutt strain can be really good. Just important to try to preserve the originals as well.

Another dog analogy! Anatolian Shepherds, have a very interesting breeding history. From what I read, they basically would breed any dog into the line, and select the best for what they wanted over many generations. Working the dogs and selecting which offspring actually worked better. Couple hundred years of this, and they created the Anatolian's, which are a force to be reckoned with, and breed very stable traits.

The Dosido's, is pretty damn good. We made some crosses with it, everything it touched got that Dosi funk/smell in it within a decent % of the new populations. The smell/funk comes through in the smoke as well as the flower. Was interesting because I was looking at pictures on Archives IG. The Face Off OG, looks very very similar to the pure Dosi cut, just less runty. Would be nice to run that Face Off clone, for comparison. Have a feeling the real clone is tightly grasped by Archive.

Zkittles has a really unique flavor and smell, but it is finicky inbred plant. Dosi is a stunted inbred plant as well, slow growing, tiny little half round rock buds. Both have great unique flavor. Painful to crop, but both very unique.

Personally I always thought Blue Dream was great. Cropped well, smelled good, bag appeal, smoked great. I also always said.. the Blue Dream is so good because it has the SSH in it. The SSH was so good because it had the real Haze in it! Originally the haze was most likely to narrow leafed to crop well. The SSH balanced it out, although watered it down a bit. The Blue Dream, added fruit, and made it crop better, the Haze still shined through. Blue Dream crosses, the haze is in there but it is getting fainter and less common. As well, not sure how you can really improve upon it. It cropped great, and its special flavor was from the Haze, the narrow leaf high was already getting couch locked. Ramble, ramble.

98 Bubba... drool. Have never seen a newer Bubba as good. All of the newer ones are just watered down 98's.

A lot of sought after clones have dates attached to them. 98 Bubba, 91 Chem. Cant imagine how valuable a clone of the real RKS skunk from 80-90s would be. Probably be able to sell for 6.. 7.. figures to a new start up corporation.

Clones fizzle, or lines shift genetically over generations. People hoard, and loose. Breed and change lines. The modern world has been cruel to the cannabis genetics.

With GMO on the horizon, and MAS currently being used, we will see some unique new stuff, although I am not sure it will be "better" than the heirlooms of yesteryear.

Mr^^

G `day MR

Way more diversity in cannabis off spring than dogs ...
Dog can have a litter of 10 ? once a year . For say 5 years . = 50 offspring .

A cannabis plant can be cloned and kept indefinitely , produce 10s of thousands of seeds every 6 weeks .5 years = millions of seeds .

50 vs a million ??

Quite a difference there in diversity . Enough to exclude dog breeding from my references to cannabis breeding

Thanks for sharin

EB .

DoubleTripleOG

Chemdog & Kush Lover Extraordinaire
ICMag Donor
I started out growing with an early 90's cut of Williams Wonder. I can say without pause that it would hold it's own against most of the stuff I grow now. Also had an Afghani that was good enough to keep up with what I have now.

TychoMonolyth

Boreal Curing
Maybe I don't count because I'm such a lightweight, but I quit smoking in the early 80s because I used to get ripped out of my tree. Still do. I don't see any dif.

J-Icky

Well since most modern hybrids are just mixes of OG, Chem and Sour they really can’t be any better.

Sadly the days of breeding to get those true Elite lines seem to be gone and it’s now just mixing one of those 3 with some random stuff which most likely contains some of those 3 and calling it something new.
Cookies, GG and anything else is just a mix of one of those 3 lines with another couple lines and acting like they created something as good as one of the original 3.

Home-Grown

This is what I read people mention in this thread.

I have not tried any. Big World.

Girl Scout Cookies
StarDawg
Glue
98 Bubba
SFV OG
Jack Herer
Jack Flash
Durban Poison
Northern Lights
Dutch Passion
Cali O

Last edited:

JetLife175

Veteran
Some of the 90s and early 2k cuts I have include:

91 Chem
Josh OG (the first OG cutting)
Shoreline skunk
Sour D

The only plant that’s gotten me as excited as the ones i just mentioned is the GMO. I’m in the school of thought where there are still Fire UNIQUE phenos to be found in the polyhybrid clusterfucks of today. It just takes huge seed runs to find it.

BerrySeal

New strains are more mersh oriented.
Most modern terp profiles would be considered flaws if the Cannabis scene was on the wine level. Good weed is skunky, sour. Og replaced rks, has most of the special components. If you think Gorilla Glue can touch OGs, Chems, without the bland broken down derivative flavor profiles..

Myrcene is a flaw in most Cannabis. Derivative of its original turpentine-esque profile. Commercial Myrcene is turpentine derivative heated to 400 degrees to give an idea why I see it as a flaw. I want that turpentine. Today's growers can make a bud look good but have nothing of value, no "nutritional value" if we were speaking good crops. It ain't thc that makes weed sticky you know. I cant get sticky buds without fish ferts.. proteins, fats, etc

Just feed em molasses i guess. Fuck raising rabbits on aromatic herbs. Fuck raising worms on watermelons. Just feed em molasses. Good enough huh.. Sweet is a blite on American Cannabis. Sour is what set us apart..

gladysvjubb

Veteran
I loved Colombian weed. Grew 80 plants of it one time from bagseed. I am finding out that the shit today is just a bunch of fancy names and no real stone.

wvkindbud38

Elite Growers Club
Veteran
This is what I read people mention in this thread.

I have not tried any. Big World.

Girl Scout Cookies
StarDawg
Glue
98 Bubba
SFV OG
Jack Herer
Jack Flash
Durban Poison
Northern Lights
Dutch Passion
Cali O

Don't forget some of the early 90s White Widow, Blueberry a lot of guys mention. Also the famous late 80s lime green skunk, RKS. Yes the SFV OG is special, the SSH and other Hazes

mr.brunch

Veteran
If you can get a clone or old seeds of ratfink’s (Rez) wonder haze, that one is special. Proper kick in the frontal lobes.

N

naturalbornkilr

I got a major pot snob buddy who will pass up any glue, sour, chem, or og all day long for some of my dosidos. As far as flavor is concerned I prefer it myself as well.

So you and your friend will pass up OG for a watered down OG leaning hybrid?

My assumption after reading most of the comments is, majority of you have not had real OG chem or sour.

mr.brunch

Veteran
Different tokes..... for different folks....

...If everybody rolled the same-
we’d get tired of tokin with each other ...

My assumption after reading most of the comments is, majority of you have not had real OG chem or sour.

Lol, just because something is good doesn't mean that's all you wanna have all the time. Ice cream is awesome, but I don't eat ice cream for breakfast, lunch, and dinner.

kickarse

Its all pot for kiddies these days, watered down just like ya beer
7500 different strains, 7480 of them are pretty much the same shit

never had a good dutch or american strain, not sure they exist anymore
or that they ever did, its mostly all hype i reckon

forget the 90s and 2000s pot the 70s and 80s were the go

J-Icky

The real sad reality of today’s weed, and even the 90’s and 2000s is that of the big three everyone raves about are possibly the same thing. Sour is Chemdog crosses out and some assume that’s OG is also a cross or an S1 of Chemdog.

If the OG part is true it just means that in the last 30 years the most hyped stuff comes from a single plant that isn’t even a true varietal. It’s just a clone of unknown origins, yes I know the story but no one knows the genetics behind it.

Honestly some of the best stuff, overall effect wise I’ve smoked was some seeded compressed commercial stuff that was in my area in the late 90s. Yes you could say it was mexi brick weed but there were a couple that I’ll never forget and still wish I had kept better track of those seeds. One was an emerald green with bright red hairs that would have you wanting to lay down but kept your mind racing and another was bright lime green with very few noticeable hairs that was the most euphoric, giggly weed I’ve ever smoked. Neither were today’s one hitter quitter, ultra potent, high thc strains but a joint between 3-4 people would have everyone proper. They were only around for a little over a year and then were never to be seen again and the days of cheap good weed were gone and it was back to 50-100 a quarter for anything that wasn’t brown mexi brick.

Scrappy-doo

Yes. Although I disagree with your opinion that it's watered down og. The best phenos lean more to the cookie side in smell and flavor, although my dosidos tastes better than the forum cut also. It's nothing like og whatsoever.

Just because you like them better doesn't mean everyone else will. A simple look thru my album will reveal I have legit cuts of all of them. Perhaps you haven't had a really good sample of cookies.

Scrappy-doo

The real sad reality of today’s weed, and even the 90’s and 2000s is that of the big three everyone raves about are possibly the same thing. Sour is Chemdog crosses out and some assume that’s OG is also a cross or an S1 of Chemdog.

If the OG part is true it just means that in the last 30 years the most hyped stuff comes from a single plant that isn’t even a true varietal. It’s just a clone of unknown origins, yes I know the story but no one knows the genetics behind it.

Honestly some of the best stuff, overall effect wise I’ve smoked was some seeded compressed commercial stuff that was in my area in the late 90s. Yes you could say it was mexi brick weed but there were a couple that I’ll never forget and still wish I had kept better track of those seeds. One was an emerald green with bright red hairs that would have you wanting to lay down but kept your mind racing and another was bright lime green with very few noticeable hairs that was the most euphoric, giggly weed I’ve ever smoked. Neither were today’s one hitter quitter, ultra potent, high thc strains but a joint between 3-4 people would have everyone proper. They were only around for a little over a year and then were never to be seen again and the days of cheap good weed were gone and it was back to 50-100 a quarter for anything that wasn’t brown mexi brick.

Sour Diesel is a bagseed of a bagseed of Chem91. 2 generations removed. That's a big IF on the OG part of your equation. It tastes nothing like chem imo.

Latest posts

Latest posts