What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Wanted: Rosin bag and paper recommendations, tips and tricks.

h.h.

Veteran
3 x 7 plates, 20 ton press.

Between a hair dryer and a commercial set up.

What products are you all using?
Thank you.

Ringodoggie

Premium user
I use the Costco brand (Kirkland) of parchment and it's not too bad.

How much to you plan to press at one time?

Filter bags or no?

Pressing flowers or dry sift?

Post that much and people will chime in.

Out of curiosity, who's plates did you buy?

Ollie

Veteran
Rosin Evolution Bags & Pre-Press + Black Label Paper (Parchment).

That is my tools & supplies of choice.

I have also been trying/using OilSlick Paper, but after changing to Black Label Paper I have not looked back. The quality & performance (non-stick properties and thickness).

I would recommended a DIY 20 ton setup (flowers) or 10 ton (sift/bubble and occasional flowers). You will most likely get tired and severe limited by the hair straightener. A lot of people uses shop presses with a plate kit (regular or caged).

h.h.

Veteran
I went with the 3 x 7" Dabpress sold on Amazon. Not an endorsement per say but Im happy with the quality.

I plan on pressing mostly flower. I did do some old trim that I had. May do both.
.I used a filter (36) bag and PTFE paper. The bag tore and the paper deformed making it hard to scrape. Then I was a bit concerned about contamination from the paper.
I used The Press Club branded stuff.

Too much pressure, folded wrong, wrong paper??? Just a lot of questions. At this point I don't know enough to really know what to ask.

Its for personal and sharing. I don't sell, so I don't have to worry about quality in that respect. It doesn't have to be finely filtered though it would be nice.
Thanks all.

I did get a 20 ton press, used off of Craigslist. Always check Craigslist.

Prepress questions as well. I bought one, but its way too small. Not ready to put out $$$ for a prepress unless absolutely necessary.

Ollie

Veteran
When using flower, humidty is crucial. I recommend using Boveda 62% a day or two before presing, allowing your buds to get the right moisture that will aid in the pressing (essential a steam distillation).

Use 90 or 160 micron for flowers, gently apply pressure and wait 15-30 seconds to heat it gently up before applying more pressure. Its a graduated step-by-step and not a full force at once type a thing. Depending on temperture and pressure, people use between 1-3 minuttes on their presses (some do longer).

I would recommend using Parchment for your pressing to ease the removal process of your rosin.

Ringodoggie

Premium user
I have the same 3x7 caged unit from DabPress.

Did you know that if you buy a press in the month of July, you get a free gift?

An awesome dab kit or a pre-press.
If you did not get your free gift, here's how.....

https://dabpress.com/pages/how-to-get-a-free-gift

Here is the free gift I got...

dt-1_grande.jpg

h.h.

Veteran
Ordered the Bovida.

Do you just fold the parchment in half?

I did it burrito style and wasn't really happy.
Is the material prepressed in the filter bag or put in after?

h.h.

Veteran
I have the same 3x7 caged unit from DabPress.

Did you know that if you buy a press in the month of July, you get a free gift?

An awesome dab kit or a pre-press.
If you did not get your free gift, here's how.....

https://dabpress.com/pages/how-to-get-a-free-gift

Here is the free gift I got...

View Image

I saw that deal. Wasn't sure what I needed.

If you go through Amazon, you get $25 off instead.

The freebies normally sell for $50. A bit of a toss up depending on your needs.

Good ratings, seems to be good quality.
I did notice a circle in the middle of my paper. Maybe using way to much force, but it does show some deflection. Not saying that's bad. Easily corrected if it is.

Mikell

Dipshit Know-Nothing
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Yes fold the paper like a clamshell.

Bags are difficult. The measurements are all over the place, some are exact and some are nominal, like a 2x4 of wood. I would get a 2x6 prepress and order a variety of bags from 2-2.5x7-7.5". Dulytek sells it by the roll if you can't find much for 7-7.5". But then they sell 2" wide rolls and whether that fits a 2" wide prepress is another thing. You want about an inch overhang past the puck on the open side to get a good fold.

I use coffee filters for flower. Cheap and effective but perhaps not the right size for your press.

PTFE is inert, but as you discovered, a pain in the fucking ass to work with. Unbleached/bleached silicon coated (not Quillon) parchment is what most of us use. PTFE is better for long term storage as high terpene extracts can bleed into parchment over time.

I use Reynolds myself. Asshats just raised the price and lowered the amount per roll but it's still cheap as fuck. If you need quantity, Dixie brand. You want about 2-3" extending beyond the plate edge. Haven't used Black Label but if I was working for profit the prefold would be mighty tempting.

Boveda work well but slowly. Best results I had were letting it sit for 7-14 days depending on initial dryness.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest posts