What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

hush's hidey hole

hush

Señor Member
Veteran
I've recently changed things up in my grow room by moving lights around and getting rid of most of my genetics, and now I want to have an all-in-one type of journal here at icmag. No more individual threads for each garden. These days I'm just interested in documenting changes that I make, or special circumstances that arise. For anyone not familiar with my previous work, just do a thread title search with my name and you can see a lot of stuff I've done over the years. I just don't have the spare time anymore to do detailed, regular journals on each individual garden. The people who have followed my threads have always been very encouraging to me, and the constant journaling helped me to be meticulous in all of my gardening affairs, so thank you, those of you.

This will be an ongoing thread where I'll post things that pertain to any of my gardens, whenever I feel inspired. To start, I'll go ahead and introduce what I'm working with...

WEhRSzx.jpg

It all starts with good genetics, and that means keeping mother plants around. This is my rather empty mother garden. I keep the plants in rockwool cubes, on a flood and drain table. The garden is lit by LEDs, and resides in a 2x2 tent. When the rockwool cubes get overgrown with roots, I replace the plants with clones of themselves. This keeps things fresh and helps everything look clean. I know it's kind of sparse at the moment, but I can eventually fit 15 bonsai moms on this table.

When a mother is selected for an upcoming grow, I remove it from the garden and put it in a dedicated space to encourage branch growth, for cuttings.

Gcsojxa.jpg

This is the veg cab. It's lit by T5 fluorescents. It takes a couple few weeks depending on the strain, but eventually I'll have as many growth tips as I need, and I'll take the cuttings. At this point the mother goes back in the mother garden, and the cuttings stay here to root, in rockwool starter cubes. They are put inside of a small humidity dome and the light is raised way up. Currently this garden is being used for starting new seeds, since I'm still in the process of rebuilding my mother plant collection.

When the clones have rooted, it's time to put them into one of the flowering gardens. I have two of these... One is a 3x3 tent lit by LEDs, and the other is a 4x4 tent lit by a 1000w HID. Both contain flood and drain systems.

TflmnCe.jpg

The smaller garden is mostly reserved for testing new strains, pollen-chucking, and growing out private reserves. I like using scrog methods in this garden, but a tightly packed sea of green in 3 inch cubes works well too. I also use this space for revegging harvested plants, which is what's going on in there at the moment.

The larger garden tends to get the regular, daily strains that I use frequently and share with others, in order to have a never-ending supply of meds.

tHEhuYS.jpg

Typically there are one or two staple varieties at any given time period that are alternating through this tent. These tend to be varieties that were selected for being high yielders, quick flowerers, and balanced effects. All other strains I keep would typically be grown out in the smaller tent. Both of these gardens generally run continuously, with very short breaks from time to time for cleaning.

So that's how things work in my hidey hole.

hush

Señor Member
Veteran
Thanks Lester!

Here's a pic of some Blueberry I just harvested last weekend. This was an F2 grow of Peak's inbred line. All the plants were virtually identical, which is odd since there was more variation in the parent generation. Only 2 out of 18 had the Blueberry smell though.

b1vFBO0.jpg

Hush! Good to see you back! Can't wait to see what comes out of your gardens! What kinds of genetics are on your plate? (U mentioned something about seeds)

Anyways, excited to follow along! Subbed for sure!

hush

Señor Member
Veteran
I've mostly been sifting through my Kush x Northern Lights F2s, looking for a keeper to make into a mother. I also plan on making some F3s of it. But I've also been growing out my Blueberry F2s to see if there's a keeper in there somewhere. I'm starting to think there won't be, though. They are just too small and lack vigor. So I'm preparing to cross BB with other genetics and see if I can come up with a large yielder with that blueberry smell. I'm also about to grow out some Northern Skunk F2s that were accidentally made. I'm curious what's in those.

I'm also going to be ordering some Ace and CBG seeds soon. Been wanting to jump into their gene pool for a minute now...

Dropped Cat

Six Gummi Bears and Some Scotch
Veteran
Ace is the place, what plants from dubi are you planning
to try anyway?

Nice set up you have.

hush

Señor Member
Veteran
I definitely want Panama and PCK, but then I'm also looking at Bangi Haze, Malawi, Tikal, and a few others. I also like some of the CBG offerings that Ace doesn't carry, so I'll probably get genetics from both of them.

hush

Señor Member
Veteran
KxNL F2s. I just went through forty-some seeds. I can't exactly pick which one I like best so I kept 5 of them, lol. I think I'm going to make F3s with all 5 of them, to see how they might differ from each other. But after that I'll narrow it down to one, and keep her as a mother. There's one that has a large Northern Lights yield but kept the Kush high, and I think I'll end up keeping that one.

G

Did you do away with your AK47 selection?
I'm curious to what you have up your sleeve next.
I'm a Peak fan, and your grows are good fun to follow.
OC

hush

Señor Member
Veteran
Thank you. No, my AK selection is the lonely plant in the mother garden, in that first photo up above. I got rid of all the mother plants I had prior to selecting the AK though. I wanted to start anew, as all my genetics just got too familiar, and the thrill was gone. I needed a spark to get me going again, and the idea of new genetics did it for me.

I'll be ordering new seeds next week. :D

hush

Señor Member
Veteran
Thank you thank you.

I just got the 3x3 garden setup today for a new run. Growing out these Northern Skunk F2s/S1s that I found in only one of the plants from my NS grow out. I'm thinking that that plant must have had nanners I couldn't see, and got selfed. But I actually did see a few male flowers in a few of the other phenos, so that's why I'm allowing for the possibility that these are F2s. Either way, they are probably feminized, and I'm looking forward to finding out if they are. If there are any males, it would have to mean that the donor pollen came from an actual male, from before they were removed, and that would make these seeds more valuable to me.

hyXDPTl.jpg

I don't expect to breed with these plants, or even select a mother... I'm just curious what they are, as the grow they came from was a clean grow with good genetics, no true hermaphrodites, males were separated very early on in the grow, everything was a hit... and this was the only plant that had any seeds, and they were all very mature. It was more of a NL leaning pheno, too, with very little smell, so it's not something I would typically select as a mother, and in fact I did not select this plant after my NS grow out... But let's see what comes out of these seeds, because if they are regular F2s with males and females, I think I just might find some awesome skunk leaning plants that would be even better than the F1s were.

B

bigganjabud

Wicked hush now I don't have to search for your threads mate I've lost hours reading all your stuff

Glad to hear the ak is still around!!

Wicked respect to you from the UK my green fingers friend!!

hush

Señor Member
Veteran
Clones of the recently revegged KxNL F2s are now rooting in the veg cab.

IwTpdTX.jpg

Latest posts

Latest posts