What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Terpenation at Terpene Station

FatherEarth

Veteran
On heating the column... Are you guys still seeing light golden colors when heating the column? Ive found an all around better result with running zero heat. Smell, color, form is off the charts fantastic. Even little heat for me all that begins to change especially color...I havent heated the column before.. If I want to unfreeze the column Ill flood sooner and it keeps running... Thanks for the input fellas good stuff. :)

Ioni Botani

SkunkPharm Research

SkunkPharm Research

Had an amazing time at the Shack with ES and GW...! I seriously love you two... :peacock:

Anywho, on with the show!!!

Bubble Hash Run - No Heat - 6" Column - Came out gorgeous!!

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Ioni Botani

SkunkPharm Research, Con't.

SkunkPharm Research, Con't.

C99 - No Heat - Multiple Columns

picture.php

picture.php

NO HEAT FTW!!!
Besides, what would be the point of removing atmospheric pressure via vacuum...?

-I-

i run no heat but rather than trying to reclaim all of my butane, i leave a little left so that i can pour out the collection tank easy. i find it is best to only run two tubes before dumping collection vessel, although we picked up a 6x12 spool to do larger runs. we currently have 6 tubes.

i'd like to build something larger, but not 5lb's big. it seems the I and II were built using pressure pots. i thought i read somewhere where they were using a 3x36 tube on one of those units, but i it isn't reflected in the build list.

Gray Wolf

A Posse ad Esse. From Possibility to realization.
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I was looking at the Just Better catalog and noticed they make the Kobra hoses with different ends;

Secure Seal

http://www.jbind.com/products/product-search-detail.aspx?SKU=CCLS-72

Blow Out Proof

http://www.jbind.com/products/product-search-detail.aspx?SKU=CCLE-72

...Gray Wolf?

There are about three different ends that you can get. A plain end, one with a Schrader valve depressor, and one with a check valve in the end.

We like the plain ends, because the other two have some restriction to flow, and the check valve ends o-ring seals, aren't as durable as the plain seals.

I always take out all the Schrader valves for maximum efficiency, so the depressors aren't required, and while the check valve in the end of the fuel supply hose can save butane at times, the two that we tried, were short lived and the o-ring not easily replaced.

Some of our hoses do have depressors ends, because plain ones weren't available locally at the time, but it was more of a matter of necessity than a selection.

We also keep a pack of replacement gaskets on hand for the plain hoses, so that we aren't tempted to just tighten a leaking fitting tighter and keep going.

Gray Wolf

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
i run no heat but rather than trying to reclaim all of my butane, i leave a little left so that i can pour out the collection tank easy. i find it is best to only run two tubes before dumping collection vessel, although we picked up a 6x12 spool to do larger runs. we currently have 6 tubes.

i'd like to build something larger, but not 5lb's big. it seems the I and II were built using pressure pots. i thought i read somewhere where they were using a 3x36 tube on one of those units, but i it isn't reflected in the build list.

The Mk I and II will run up to a 3" X 36" column, which will hold around two pounds per cycle. They use a 10" stainless paint pressure pot for a lower end.

The Mk V will hold around five pounds per run in two 4" X 36" columns. It uses a 12" X 12" stainless sanitary spool for a lower end.

Last edited:
what column size are you normally running on the I and II? usually when you say something will run up to a certain size, that isn't usually the ideal size to use. i take it in lieu of a pain pressure pot, a 10x12 sanitary spool could be used?

FatherEarth

Veteran
Forget the cobra hose bro, go with the Appion Mega Flow hose
Half inch inside diameter one end connection with 1/4" flare the other 3/8". It does increase recovery times. How? Im unsure, with 1/4" bottleneck you would think it would be the same, it is not. MEGA flow for the win.

V

Veg N Out

I will do that, thank you for the link.

Right now though just to get it working I am going to go down to RSD and make up some Kobra hoses. They actually have the compound gauge, filter driers, G5 Twin in stock...Whoohooo no waiting for people to ship stuff to the BOONIES!

I will get the Mega Flow hoses before I'm Mega Flowing BHO.

My guess is that it is working on the same principle as running less than full in the refrigerant recovery tank, the extra surface area aids in condensing so the gas does not have to pack in so tight and can actually condense in a thinner layer because of the increased hose volume. I'm pretty sure the fitting size due to the pressure/vacuum become a moot point.

FatherEarth

Veteran
Not sure its condensing in the hose, but it is certainly filling up and adding more space outside of the collection vessel to push butane. All I know for sure is that its faster than normal hoses and its built like a tank.

Gray Wolf

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
what column size are you normally running on the I and II? usually when you say something will run up to a certain size, that isn't usually the ideal size to use. i take it in lieu of a pain pressure pot, a 10x12 sanitary spool could be used?

Let me rephrase that. There is room in the lower pot to run up to a 4" X 36" column, but recovery would be slow.

We've run 1 1/2 X 48", 1 1/2 X 36", 2" X 36", and 3 X 36" columns on the Mk I & II's. 48" columns are a pain to load and handle, so we like to stay under 36".

There is around 785 cubic inches in the lower tank, and the evaporating pool, with its violent bubbling under vacuum, has to be kept at least three or four inches away from the pump intake, to keep from aspirating oil.

Yes a 10" X 12" sanitary spool could be used instead of the ASTME 120 psi rated stainless paint pot, but the pressure rating would be less. I haven't run the numbers on a 10" yet, but the .430 thick lid on the 12" starts to see excessive deflection at around 100 psi.

SpaceshipNelson

Forget the cobra hose bro, go with the Appion Mega Flow hose
Half inch inside diameter one end connection with 1/4" flare the other 3/8". It does increase recovery times. How? Im unsure, with 1/4" bottleneck you would think it would be the same, it is not. MEGA flow for the win.

(Quote from Appion) Even when restricted by 1/4" system ports, using a 3/8" or 1/2" hose greatly reduces resistance and increases potential flow. This is especially true during system evacuation. Just using one 1/2" hose with 1/4" fittings can result in one tenth the evacuation time compared to one 1/4" hose.

Or look at it the other way: using 1/4" hose can make an evacuation take up to 10 times longer than when using 1/2" hoses

:biggrin: FTW

Instead of a 48" column on mkIII, could we just double stack two 24"columns, and also double stack the bottom 6x6's or use a 6X12 for the collection?

I tried using a 36in column with the 6X12 for collection, and i was able to finish in 21 min.
I am really just trying to cut down on the number of times i have to open it up and collect.

That megaflow hose looks awesome, Thanks FE

I never had any bad experiences with the kobra hoses, but hearing about other peoples mysterious hose oil problems, prompted me to get some all stainless lines specially made from Flexicraft Industries, following NorthernLabs lead in this Thread

Let me rephrase that. There is room in the lower pot to run up to a 4" X 36" column, but recovery would be slow.

We've run 1 1/2 X 48", 1 1/2 X 36", 2" X 36", and 3 X 36" columns on the Mk I & II's. 48" columns are a pain to load and handle, so we like to stay under 36".

There is around 785 cubic inches in the lower tank, and the evaporating pool, with its violent bubbling under vacuum, has to be kept at least three or four inches away from the pump intake, to keep from aspirating oil.

Yes a 10" X 12" sanitary spool could be used instead of the ASTME 120 psi rated stainless paint pot, but the pressure rating would be less. I haven't run the numbers on a 10" yet, but the .430 thick lid on the 12" starts to see excessive deflection at around 100 psi.

ahhhh... makes sense why you use the pressure pot instead :) seems like building another IIIa might be a better way to go with a 6x12 spool potentially.

quick question greywolf... i froze my recovery tank so that i could bleed off excess pressure as it was taking longer to flood the columns. i then found i couldn't draw the butane into the IIIa. now it turns out we only had about 5 or 6 lbs of butane left in the recovery tank and we did freeze it with dry ice. any thoughts as to what might be up? we've run the system cold before without any issues other than long reclaim times. so either purging almost all the pressure out or being low on butane is the issue...

Gray Wolf

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Not sure its condensing in the hose, but it is certainly filling up and adding more space outside of the collection vessel to push butane. All I know for sure is that its faster than normal hoses and its built like a tank.

When trying to pull a vacuum, as the atmosphere being pumped gets thinner, the molecules get fewer and further apart. It not only makes it harder for the pump to grab a molecule in the first place, but when it does, they have less attractive influence on the other molecules, because they are further apart.

That means that maximum efficiency is required on any vacuum system.

Under those circumstances, increasing the size of the hose, slows down the streams velocity, thus dropping the static pressure and static losses.

That is a big number, because the horsepower requirements for increases and decreases in static pressure, are directly proportion to the square of the change.

The pressure side of the pump is operating at up to a 100 psi pressure, so the molecules are compressed closer together and the pressure loss from static pressure is a small percentage of total losses.